Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issue with a brand new AAC M4-2000

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Issue with a brand new AAC M4-2000

My form 4 came back yesterday, so I picked up the M4 2000 mod. 08 from my FFL/SOT.

It's just plain awesome. That said after 30 rounds, using Federal XM193 on my brand new LMT 10.5" SBR (blackout was installed correctly), I noticed a tiny bulge muzzle rim of the can.

Nothing major, but it concerns me. The suppressor was cranked down the whole way, nothing improper took place, and I've checked the barrel to make sure nothing odd is going on. We also checked the targets and it's not keyholing, nor baffle strikes.

But I'm hesitant to keep shooting the gun if I'm going to make it worse.

Is my best bet to have it sent back to AAC?
    Last edited by Titleist; 05-24-09 at 16:38.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    My form 4 came back yesterday, so I picked up the M4 2000 mod. 08 from my FFL/SOT.

It's just plain awesome. That said after 30 rounds, using Federal XM193 on my brand new LMT 10.5" SBR (blackout was installed correctly), I noticed a tiny bulge muzzle rim of the can.

Nothing major, but it concerns me. The suppressor was cranked down the whole way, nothing improper took place, and I've checked the barrel to make sure nothing odd is going on. We also checked the targets and it's not keyholing, nor baffle strikes.

But I'm hesitant to keep shooting the gun if I'm going to make it worse.

Is my best bet to have it sent back to AAC?

On the timeline of a suppressor, you are eventually going to get a bullet go a bit sideways. Usually its after heavy sustained volumes of fire when everything is hot, and drooping a bit.

Unfortunately, it seems like this incident arrived real early in your can's lifetime.

If its not key holing, I'd just enjoy the can. Keep shooting it, it will be fine.

FWIW, I still run a M4/SPR thats been to hell and back, decent sized end cap strike, no key holes, still accurate, still works, and its past 10k rounds.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 05-23-09 at 16:19.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't really have anything to say that could help you figure anything out, but I'm just curious to know exactly what "key-holing" is??

I just got my first suppressor the other day, and "key-holing" is the only term I have never heard of before.

Like I said, just curious. If anyone could chime in and explain it, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

-Paul

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetreatHell View Post
    I don't really have anything to say that could help you figure anything out, but I'm just curious to know exactly what "key-holing" is??

I just got my first suppressor the other day, and "key-holing" is the only term I have never heard of before.

Like I said, just curious. If anyone could chime in and explain it, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

-Paul

Basically, the bullet is very unstable when it exits the barrel that it wobbles so bad, it turned sideways. If you shoot paper, it will look like the profile of the bullet, similar to a keyhole in a lock.

There can be various degrees of instability and any of it can cause a baffle or end cap strike. Just think, the aperture at the end of the silencer is a little bit bigger than the bullet itself, so ANY wobble in the bullet can hit the edge. Some hits will just nick, nothing but surface damage, some take out all the guts of the silencer and destroy it.

ETA: Even a normal shooting gun can have a weird round that causes an end cap strike. Even user error can cause a strike (like not making sure the silencer is tight) I have a little strike on the end of my Pilot .22lr silencer. It wasn't caused by any of my guns as the shoot great and the threads are perfect. It was most likely user error or a strange round that nicked it.
    Last edited by chrismartin; 05-24-09 at 16:10.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Before I talked with Derek about his experiences with suppressed SBRs I emailed AAC concerning my end cap strike. Regardless of if they say "run it and in 10K rounds give us a call" that's fine, I just want to talk with them to make sure I'm not going to aggravate it if something is in fact wrong. Then at least I can know I did due diligence.

Anyways, out of the 30 rounds I fired they were all holes, no keyholes in the bunch. And my suppressor was locked down all the way.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Don't shoot that ****ing TRASH XM193 thru your can.

I've found 3 rounds recently where the BULLET is "bent" for lack of a better term. The bullet is tweaked to one side and the case neck is bent too.

All of these check out when run in my case guage, but are obviously ****ed up just by looking at them... yet if you were loading a mag quickly, you might not catch it. If you roll the round on the table, you can watch the bullet tip wobble. If you didn't shoot these turds through a silencer, you'd just think you pulled your shot.

I'm now convinced that this is what cause the baffle strike in my AAC can because I can narrow my incident down to a 25 round window.

If you continue to use this craptastic ammo, hand check EVERY SINGLE ROUND that you plan to run through your can because there's a lot of shit in those 20 round boxes.
    Last edited by markm; 05-24-09 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    Mark has a point.

We all have seen reduced quality ammo being put out lately, even the factory stuff.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Mark,

Have you had a chance to run any of that M855 yet? I contacted Lake City/ ATK and they said it is good to go stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Don't shoot that ****ing TRASH XM193 thru your can.

I've found 3 rounds recently where the BULLET is "bent" for lack of a better term. The bullet is tweaked to one side and the case neck is bent too.

All of these check out when run in my case guage, but are obviously ****ed up just by looking at them... yet if you were loading a mag quickly, you might not catch it. If you roll the round on the table, you can watch the bullet tip wobble. If you didn't shoot these turds through a silencer, you'd just think you pulled your shot.

I'm now convinced that this is what cause the baffle strike in my AAC can because I can narrow my incident down to a 25 round window.

If you continue to use this craptastic ammo, hand check EVERY SINGLE ROUND that you plan to run through your can because there's a lot of shit in those 20 round boxes.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    I emailed AAC concerning my end cap strike. Regardless of if they say "run it and in 10K rounds give us a call" that's fine, I just want to talk with them to make sure I'm not going to aggravate it if something is in fact wrong. Then at least I can know I did due diligence.
    One of our main rules is to do just what you've done, and let them respond, before posting about an "issue" that might or might not be anything to worry about.

The internet has a long memory, and someone may quote your "issue" later making a bad name for AAC -- or other vendors.

When you hear back from them, let a mod or staff member know and we'll unlock this thread for an update.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    It would appear that AAC has had a chance to look at this suppressor, and there has been a definitive resolution. I'll let the OP respond now.

Thanks all for your patience while we afforded AAC a chance to respond.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast