Thread: Through the lens Eotech v Aimpoint

Feedback Score

Through the lens Eotech v Aimpoint

I have an Eotech 512, and the friend I went shooting with today has an Aimpoint M3. The Aimpoint is a 4 moa unit.

Both were well sighted in.

I was shooting off a bench and had the fore end supported by sandbags.

Both units had the brightness adjusted so there was no bloom on the dot, it was bright and clear.

Ammo was Back Hills blue box 62 gr MHP.

I'm considering an Aimpoint so I was looking forward for the chance to shoot with one.

Not considering battery life or the purported difference in reliability, I'm just looking at accuracy.

At 25 yards I had no problem putting either one in the black but then I don't have any issues with iron sights either.

At 50 yds I was at 1.5 inch groups with the 512 and a little over 3 with the M3.

At 100 yds things were worse. My groups with the Eo were less than 3 inches with the M3 they were more like nine inches, it seems to me that the 4 moa is just to coarse when you get out to those kind of distances.

Based on this I have a couple of questions and I would welcome someone setting me straight if I'm missing something here

1. A 2 moa Aimpoint would be better for distances?

2. Are 4 moa Aimpoints better suited close range?

3. What happens with a 3 X Magnifier? Do the dots cover even more of the target?

As an aside which cantilever Aimpoint mount is best suited if you plan on using a 3 X mag and you want cowitness in the lower 3rd?
    Last edited by shadco; 05-23-09 at 19:10.
    Shad
    ------
    I knew where I was when I wrote this..
    I don't know where I am now.

Les Baer PII .45
    Sig Sauer E26BR-9-BWTAC
    Daniel Defense M4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadco View Post
    I have an Eotech 512, and the friend I went shooting with today has an Aimpoint M3. The Aimpoint is a 4 moa unit.

1. A 2 moa Aimpoint would be better for distances?

It is for me.

2. Are 4 moa Aimpoints better suited close range?

They are excellent for close range.

3. What happens with a 3 X Magnifier? Do the dots cover even more of the target?

No. The dot is magnified and the target is magnified. Both are magnified at the same rate so they keep the same sizes in relation to each other.

As an aside which cantilever mount is best suited if you plan on using a 3 X mag and you want cowitness in the lower 3rd?

I really like the ADM mounts and the LaRue are great too.

See above.

My personal experiences are with a EOTech 512, CompM4, and LaRue Po Boy.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Im an Eotech guy, I've played with a few Red Dot sights ( No aimpoints ) and prefer the Eotech reticle to the standard dot. Reliability and battery life isn't really a concern as I don't plan on exceptionally hard use ( which IMO the Eotech can take) and 600 hours (realistically) for battery life is good enough. You've figured all this out I imagine.

I've got a LWRC M6A2 with an Eotech 512 and 4x magnifier mounted on a FTS mount. I sighted it in at 200 yards benchrest and was consistently getting within a 6" group using PCM 55 Gr cheapie ammo. I don't plan on using this rifle for beyond 200 yards as I have another setup with a Bi-pod and 1-4 variable sight.

The Eotech, IMO, is a faster optic at 50< yards and more accurate beyond 100 yards with the magnifier with the 1 moa dot. I wish you could turn off or adjust the width of the outer reticle as the whole thing is magnified .....65 MOA at 200 yards, what's the point of having that thing out there?

My beef.... The Eotech+ Magnifier setup adds alot of weight and the magnifier can be cumbersome if you just leave it flipped out of the way. I ultimately went with this combo for versatility and having the option of using the nice BUIS that come on the rifle. Sorry for rambling

Feedback Score
    Having switched from Eotech over to an Aimpoint Micro, I noticed the smaller optic to also be a little slower. You have to have a better cheek weld so to speak than the heads up dislay required. This also proved better for getting in and out of various shooting positions and shooting on the move. But, the reliability stunk with the battery compartment issue that really hurt Eotech's business. There is NO battery issue at all with the Aimpoints and that is what won me over.

That 4 moa shouldn't be the problem the OP was having. Usually turning down the optic to the minimum to see your target reference, I have seen good shooters hold ~4" groups at 100. Me, I am happy with a reliable 8 but that is getting into a position and back up in a drill. I have not been to the range where I can sit supported from a bench in a while.

Word is, they may be responding to the problems and the reliability issues are diminishing. But I am sure interested in the discussions about how true this is and weather some of our industry professionals seeing this in the field.
    Last edited by Sidewinder6; 05-24-09 at 09:19. Reason: spell check

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sidewinder6 has an excellent point. How bright was your Aimpoint dot when shooting for groups? I've found that when going for accuracy, it makes sense to lower the brightness setting - the dot 'seems' to get smaller and more precise.

However, I think the trend with Aimpoint dots is to get smaller - the new M4 comes with a 2MOA dot.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 05-24-09 at 09:38.