Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with Hydrashok?

Feedback Score

What is wrong with Hydrashok?

Zuhukov,

In thread '5.7x28 fanboys are irritating' you said 'I encounter the same thing with people defending the HydraShok'.

What do you feel is wrong with Hydrashok?

Thanks in advance.

Alistaire

Feedback Score
    Older bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 15 or 20 years ago. These older bullets tend to plug up and act like FMJ projectiles when shot through heavy clothing; they also often have significant degradation in terminal performance after first passing through intermediate barriers. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 05-28-09 at 18:20.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. It looks like HST and Federal Tactical are LE only. (I'm not). Perhaps I'll migrate to Gold Dots.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Incorrect. Federal wants to market them to LE only. I use only HSTs in my 1911 (because it's the only defensive round I've shot enough to know it works every time) and I'm a video director at a church (in other words - the furthest thing from LEO). There are several places that sell HST when they are instock, I usually get mine from ammunitiontogo.com.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, they seem to be out of HST. Natchez didn't have any either.

Feedback Score

Question

Some folks over at Glocktalk [snowman92D among others] vigorously defend that bullet design indicating its superior street record in police-involved shootings.

What's the story on HS street-involved shootings?

Feedback Score
    In this area, the HST seems to be working at least as well as the previously issued Ranger Talon. We use them interchangeably, depending on which company has the current contract.

Feedback Score

Question what's the story on street-involved hydra-shok shootings

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    In this area, the HST seems to be working at least as well as the previously issued Ranger Talon. We use them interchangeably, depending on which company has the current contract.
    Hydra-Shok street-involved shootings, not HST

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately Evan Marshall's street statistics have not been updated for several years. Thus improved performance by newer designs will not appear in his statistics. Having laboratory tests and street statistics was the best of both worlds. (Ok, second best. The best is never getting into a gunfight.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Evan Marshall's street statistics have been debunked as nonsense years ago.

Let me ask you this, Alistaire. If there was a shooting where someone had to be shot in the chest more than once, would you count it as a failure to produce a one-shot stop?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast