Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STG556 (AUG-style) made in US.

Feedback Score

STG556 (AUG-style) made in US.

(click for larger image)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I liked it, mostly. The two things that bugged me were that it was intentionally designed to not take the original AUG mags, and that it has a forward assist. The guy I talked to at the booth said that they added two rails inside the magwell specifically so it wouldn't take the original mags. The new mags will work in the original gun, but the original mags won't work in the new gun.

I'm sure, however, that enterprising owners will find a way to rectify this.

The rest of the changes from the original design all sounded to me like they were upgrades. The way the scope detaches, the bolt release, etc. were all nice features.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The cocking handle on the originals was the forward assist....why add another?

Looks good though, I applaud any US manufacturer with the balls to try to bring stuff to market like this.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    How is the cocking handle on the original a forward assist?

As for the magazines -- no big deal. It is modable -- I looked. They did it so they could let people buy the rifle in NJ and maybe some other states.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's big enough that you can push on the back of it with your thumb or heel of the hand...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    I thought it only could move the bolt back but not forward since it does not reciprocate. It is not like an AK where it is directly connected to the bolt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers
    I thought it only could move the bolt back but not forward since it does not reciprocate. It is not like an AK where it is directly connected to the bolt.
    The cocking handles does not reciprocate but with the A1 (which I have a couple) there's a small button on top of it and when pushed connects it to the bolt and could be pushed forward to assist the bolt to close.

The A2 version's cocking handle is triangular shape, no button and is pushed up and forward as FA function.

I like the bolt catch which is similar to the Steyr AUG A3 model if you look at the pictures at the Steyr website, it's closer to the mag loading hand than the cocking handle.

I don't know about the new FA unless I handled it myself, I never used my FA in 17 years of use and never had a FTF but who knows.

Pete was my AUG parts source for a long time since early 2000, he's their project leader and a good guy to deal with.

He no longer sells AUG parts since he joined the MSAR Microtech Small Arms Research company (firearm division of Microtech knife).

Additional info about the STG 556 rifle from PJS website and other sites:

5.56 mm available in 14", 16" and 20" barrels.

6.8 mm SPC will be available as conversion kits only in 14", 16" and 20".

They're currently developing a patent pending suppressed barrel system for the STG 556 rifle and other similar style rifles, the suppressor does NOT come off the barrel, it is as "one unit".

All 1500 Limited Edition STG 556 rifles come with an exclusive Microtech Currahee knife.
    Each Microtech Currahee knife will be custom marked STG 556 along with the STG 556 serial number its packaged with.
    Along with that each Currahee knife will have STG 556 matching handle & blade color.
    ($250 Retail Value)

Also all 1500 Limited Edition STG 556 rifles come with an exclusive Pelican rifle case.
    Each Pelican case will have custom STG 556 company logo along with the STG 556 serial number its packaged with.
    Each Pelican case will be color matched to your Limited Edition STG 556 rifle and have custom STG 556 hard foam cut out.
    ($250 Retail Value)

Estimated Limited Edition package price is under $2,000 (they will release the actual price when released)

More pictures of parts and pre release ordering info at:

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    Wonder why he did not use the push-button on the handle then. Also wonder why he did not just copy the A3 AUG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers
    Wonder why he did not use the push-button on the handle then. Also wonder why he did not just copy the A3 AUG.
    My guess is that the AR/ M16 type FA could excert more pushing force and easier because it's larger than the original AUG FA design.

The patents on the AUG A1 and A2 FA design had expired and could be copied, they would have a patent problem if they copy the A3 design, it's still patented.

Another feature of the STG 556 is that it have a stronger magazine material than the original AUG but the original mags could not be used on the STG 556.

The new STG 556 mags could be used on the original AUG.
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    Original mags can be used in the STG556 if you either mill a 1/8 inch area on the mag, or mill a 1/8 inch are on the STG556. They did it to make it NJ legal. Trust me, don't worry about it. I looked into it.

As for patents -- are you sure they have US patents pending? Steyr seems hosed in the US as far as I can tell.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast