Thread: DPMS accuracy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

DPMS accuracy

Hi Guys. This is my first post (and first AR). I have a DPMS panther lite, 16" bbl A1 config. I got these groups at 50 yards using a 20 year old Aimpoint 3000 on top of the carry handle; PMC cheap practice ammo. The bottom right group was the best of the day. I think the red dot is actually about 2 MOA, which is bigger than the best group by a fair amount. Based on this, once I get some glass with magnification, should I expect sub MOA from this barrel? Tell me what you think!

Feedback Score
    Hey, welcome to the board.

This site is a fantastic place to learn about the M4/AR weapons system. Especially the "top tier" rifles. (See the chart located somewhere here)

There might not be a lot of guys here who know much about DPMS.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I know a good bit about DPMS, however I won't promise you that this is a good thing.

DPMS actualy has some very accurate barrels. However Accuracy is not always the same as quality. I have had two barrels personally that were out of spec. Every time they were fired I would get a bulge around the base of the bullet and many times it would stick and need to be extracted manually.

Barrel are 1/9 twist and not Chrome lined by default. They often defend themselves saying that this is an option. I personally think it should be the norm, not the exception. Especially on M4 barrels.

In addition I worked for a good sized DPMS distributor. Normal orders for us were in the hundreds. We would often get complaints about things. Broken stocks, etc, etc. Most were minor things but it brings into question the overall level of QC they have.

Feedback Score
    It matters far less whose name is stamped on the side of the lower reciever as to what you can do with it. Good shooting!

Feedback Score

Cool Thanks for the response

I sensed before posting that many members would have strong (low) opinions about the less expensive manufacturers. My next AR will be my own build, but this first time opportunity for an AR was the right deal at the right time. Possible shortcomings aside, I must say that...so far this rifle ROCKS...no malfunctions and great performance. I will eventually start swapping parts on it, too, 'cause I really don't care for that permanent carry handle. More to the point....whaddaya' think?...can I probably get some good groups at 100+ yards with decent glass on top of it, if 1/2" or less at 50 yards is now happening on a regular basis? Mathematically I think so, but I have not had to chance to try at that distance yet.

Feedback Score
    The problem lies in consistency. Some work, some don't.

"Do you feel lucky?"

Mark15

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloMcFly View Post
    Hi Guys. This is my first post (and first AR). I have a DPMS panther lite, 16" bbl A1 config. I got these groups at 50 yards using a 20 year old Aimpoint 3000 on top of the carry handle; PMC cheap practice ammo. The bottom right group was the best of the day. I think the red dot is actually about 2 MOA, which is bigger than the best group by a fair amount. Based on this, once I get some glass with magnification, should I expect sub MOA from this barrel? Tell me what you think!
    For measuring groups, you generally want to use AT LEAST 5 shot's. Do that 4-5 times and take an average. Also, shoot groups at 100yds (50yds does not matter).

I would exect sub-moa performance.

C4