Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of 5.56 Re-Loading compared to .22?

Feedback Score

Cost of 5.56 Re-Loading compared to .22?

As some of you helpful members may know I will hopefully be buying an AR-15 soon(once my fiancee's lease is up in August) but I have been come across another dilemma. I was talking with my fiancee and we figured that we could afford the rifle but not sure we can afford to put many rounds down range. So she suggested getting an LMT lower and then building it up as a .22 cal plinker. This would be a goal for us so she can have something eventually for herself as well.

I want one chambered in the standard 5.56 round for longer and more powerful shooting(compared to the .22). Also I wanted to become as proficient as possible with the round and the rifle. The price of 5.56 ammo seems to only be going up and its becoming harder to find the ammo in bulk as though it seems. The cost and relative scarcity of the ammunition is also a key factor in my resulting decision of whether to go with the 5.56 or .22.

So after the life story that I just bothered you all with...which would be a better bet?
    the .22 would be cheaper which means that I would be able to afford to go to the range a hell of a lot more and stay out longer, however with the 5.56 I would be able to practice more with the rifle set up in such a way that if I ever needed the gun for any real reason other than target shooting I would be better prepared for the situation. I was thinking maybe I could get into hand loading in the future to cut costs of ammo and hopefully help me build a healthy supply of ammunition. But for those of you shooting hand loads is it still too expensive to send many rounds down range? So any suggestions or first hand experience with the matter would be greatly appreciated. I have also searched under hand loads and re-loading but to no avail. So if any of you could help that would be great.

Thank You,
    Floyd

Feedback Score
    Floyd, shooting .22lr will definitely be cheaper. I would order a conversion kit and a pile of Black Dog mags whether you chose to reload or not.

I honestly don't know what componants cost right now. I haven't reloaded for a little while and have a fairly good stockpile of brass, bullets and primers.
    You can buy a single stage press, dies and a primer seater for not a lot of $.
    Buy a few manuals and some componants and give it a try. Loading on a single stage press will be time consuming and it will take you a lot longer to load them than to shoot them! You may get the urge to move into a progressive press but I would hold off on that until you get your feet wet and get a feel for what you are doing.

You can do a lot of training with the .22. It will be cheaper and less time consuming that shooting reloaded 5.56. However there is no complete substitute for the real thing. Plus, you can really tailor loads to your rifle when you reload.
    If you have the $ I'd do both. If not, I'd get the conversion kit and save for the reloading equipment.

Feedback Score
    I just did a REAL rough cost calculation based on figures I got from MidwayUSA.

Brass .21
    bullet .08
    primer .04
    powder .07

Total cost for the round would be roughly .40 cents.

Now brass can be reloaded so that helps some. It does not include shipping, tax etc. or the cost of needed equipment.

The cost of other componants will affect this as well.

The cost of a CCI MiniMag is about .07
    Last edited by Jaeger; 06-06-09 at 00:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I just did a REAL rough cost calculation based on figures I got from MidwayUSA.

Brass .21
    bullet .08
    primer .04
    powder .07

Total cost for the round would be roughly .40 cents.

Now brass can be reloaded so that helps some. It does not include shipping, tax etc. or the cost of needed equipment.

The cost of other componants will affect this as well.

The cost of a CCI MiniMag is about .07
    Ok thank you for the advice. I think I am just going to go with the 5.56 because I know I'll want to switch if I got the 22. Screw it if its more expensive to shoot 5.56

Feedback Score
    Perhaps I missed something, but to me it seems, that if you just wanted to go plinking there are much more economical options than a .22lr AR. It's less money to just buy a Ruger 10/22, and then put the saved money toward a .556 upper eventually. But that's not the point now is it.

The whole point of buying the .22 upper for the AR is for affordable training, so you can stay familiar with the AR manual of arms without breaking the bank. But ultimately, there's no point in that if you don't have a .556 rifle to "take it to the bank" if/when it becomes necessary to protect you and yours.

Don't buy the .22 upper in lieu of the .556. Buy the .22 upper and save for the .556. Or, buy the .556 and get a 10/22.

JMHO
    Last edited by Thermodyn; 06-06-09 at 01:13.
    "If I must choose between peace and righteousness, I choose righteousness" - Theodore Roosevelt

Feedback Score
    Floyd, Ciener, CMMG and Spikes Tactical all make high quality .22lr conversion kits that replace your 5.56 bolt carrier group and allow you to shoot .22 from your 5.56 upper. You will not get match grade accuracy but it will certainly be accurate enough for CQB training at 30 yards and in.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...705870&cat=81&

http://www.22lrconversions.com/atch-pg.htm

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...9sfd49cmrqgsv0

I have the Ciener and it runs like a champ. You can get high quality, hi-cap mags from Black Dog Machine.
    http://blackdogmachinellc.net/index.aspx

The swap takes only a few seconds. When you are done shooting .22, remove the kit, run a bore snake through the barrel and chamber and replace your standard bolt group and you are back to shooting full power ammo.

Do a search. There are LOTS of threads covering the subject.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by impure View Post
    the .22 would be cheaper which means that I would be able to afford to go to the range a hell of a lot more and stay out longer, however with the 5.56 I would be able to practice more with the rifle set up in such a way that if I ever needed the gun for any real reason other than target shooting I would be better prepared for the situation.
    Like Jäger said, get a 5.56 upper and a .22lr conversion.

Even reloaded 5.56/.223 is going to be about 15-20¢ per round, but Federal bulk pack .22lr retails for less than 4¢ per round.

If you want to fiancé to shoot it, too, then a .22lr conversion is a great idea (little noise, imperceptible recoil).

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=414445

Ciener kits on sale and available from Midway USA.
    Ciener has a bad customer service reputation but I've never had to deal with them. My conversion kit continues to work well and rebuild and spring kits are available from Black Dog Machine.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Ciener kits on sale and available from Midway USA.
    Ciener has a bad customer service reputation but I've never had to deal with them. My conversion kit continues to work well and rebuild and spring kits are available from Black Dog Machine.
    Why in the world buy a Ciener when there are quality CMMG and Spike's kits available?

Feedback Score
    Because they are currently $60 cheaper than than Spikes and CMMG and they are of high quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast