Thread: Converting 5.56 to .458 socom.

Feedback Score

Converting 5.56 to .458 socom.

Has anyone ever converted a 5.56 ar to a .458 socom? I'm not talking about a complete upper, More like changing the barrel and bolt. What else would have to be changed? Would it be easier to just get a complete upper?

Feedback Score
    That's it...just the barrel and BCG. I did this exact conversion a few years ago.

Would have been easier to just buy a complete upper, though. The individual parts were not easy to find at the time and I ended up paying more for the parts than I would have if I just bought a complete upper. I don't know if that's still true today.

Feedback Score
    Hi!

I'd like to do the same thing. I always thought a modified upper reciever was needed also, wider ejection port or something like that.

If I can use any upper I want, that would be very cool.

As soon as my current build is done, the 458 is next!

Thanks,
    Orvis

Feedback Score
    Yes, you have to enlarge the ejection port a bit, but you don't need any extra or special parts for the conversion.

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

Would you hapten to if you coulp use PMags with it or just steel / aluminum mags?

Feedback Score
    I'm still pretty new to the 458 SOCOM, but for me the PMags have worked great for the 300gr Corbon loads since they're relatively short in length. I really like the Pmags for that loading. I'm not sure if the Corbon 405gr loads wil fit in a Pmag though since the Pmags have a reinforcing rib that runs down the inside front of the magazine, and I have yet to purchase or handload any 405gr bullets. I do know that the 500gr Round Nose Soft Points that I hand loaded (COL 2.245") do NOT fit with Pmags. I use a Lancer or HK mag for those (regular GI mags would probably work fine for the long 500gr loads as well.) I don't think you have to, but I take a file and carve out a small notch in the front of the magazine to allow for easier manual unloading of the magazine. Just personal preference. I've seen/heard of others doing the same thing. Here's a picture of my HK mag that has been modified as described with a dummy 500gr SP round loaded.

Last edited by newarowner; 06-28-09 at 00:56.