Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eye pro

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

eye pro

looking to buy some shooting glasses. preferably around 100.00 or less. best bang for the buck. for the range and classes in the future. i was looking at wiley x sg-1 and xl-1 and the g-eye which are ugly. not that it matters if they offer more than the others.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have Oakley Half Jackets, that until recently were pulling duty for every day use and as shooting glasses. The lenses are easily replaceable so I can adjust them to different lighting conditions. The biggest down side to these was the thick frame that runs across the top. If the glasses were not perfectly positioned on my face I would get some distortion when trying to look through the top of the lenses - this happened especially when shooting from the prone position.

However, recently I picked up two pairs of Oakley SI M-Frame arrays. They have a thinner frame that sits MUCH higher on the face so it doesn't interfere with your eye sight in shooting position. Now I can spend more time lining up the sights and working the trigger rather than pushing my glasses up my face. It isn't that the Half Jackets are terrible, they are actually great glasses. It is just that the M-Frames are that much better.

I highly recommend the Oakley M-Frames or similar type glasses.

Feedback Score
    Here is a review I did of the ESS ICE Kit, overall I cannot think of a better bang for the buck. If you were RX this is the best option I have ever used.

http://mail.myptsmail.com/mercop/blog/?p=256

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have half jackets and love them, but I have been toying around with getting a set of "Transitions" shooting glasses... The ones that darken in more light... Good for indoor and outdoor shooting applications...

Anyone have this? Any suggestions...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VTLO910 View Post
    I have half jackets and love them, but I have been toying around with getting a set of "Transitions" shooting glasses... The ones that darken in more light... Good for indoor and outdoor shooting applications...

Anyone have this? Any suggestions...
    My dad, who is an avid golfer, love his transition Half Jackets.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewdanger View Post
    However, recently I picked up two pairs of Oakley SI M-Frame arrays. They have a thinner frame that sits MUCH higher on the face so it doesn't interfere with your eye sight in shooting position. Now I can spend more time lining up the sights and working the trigger rather than pushing my glasses up my face. It isn't that the Half Jackets are terrible, they are actually great glasses. It is just that the M-Frames are that much better.

I highly recommend the Oakley M-Frames or similar type glasses.
    I've been using the M-Frames for years. I have a pair of Gascans and some Oakley titanium wireframe sunglasses (can't remember which model), but for shooting I prefer the M-Frames (I also own 2 pair). At a recent pistol match as an SO I got hit with a ricochet in the right cheek just below the eye. It also nicked the lens and put a small scratch on it, but no other damage to the lens. Needless to say, I will not use that lens anymore but I will replace it and keep on shooting with the M-Frames.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    where is a good place to get the oakleys? are you guys talking about si m-frames? they seem to be well over 100.00. noone likes wiley x? not in the same league as oakley i guess? i've wondered about the ICE glasses as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Revision Sawfly for me

Revision, ESS and Oakley are all in the APEL list, so you can go wrong with one of them.
    btw Oakley is the only one of the 3 that doesnt take RX insert.
    *** Damn Proud to Be an American Ally ! ***

The Armory:
    Colt 6601 - Colt 6731 - Steyr StG.58 - M1 Carbine - CZ Scorpion EVO - Franchi PA8 - Glock 17 - Pietta/Colt SAA 1873 - SA 1911A1 Mil Spec - Ruger LCP

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Native Eyewear. I wear the Silencer, and have had my current set since summer '06. They've seen some hard use, countless lens changeovers, and are still going strong.

You get several sets of lenses with each frame, all but the clears are polarized, they have WAY less distortion than anything ESS puts out, and you don't have to blow $60-100 to get new or spare lenses like you do with Oakleys.

No, I'm not busting Oakleys. I love my Flak Jackets, too, but I don't love what I have to pay for polarized bronze lenses, so I don't use them except for specific things.

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/sear...manufacturer=8
    What do I want? Time travel.

When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Feedback Score
    +1 on Native Eyewear.

I have a pair of Dash XR's that are a great bang for the buck. REI Outlet had them for $60 - they come with a hard case, 4 sets of interchangeable lenses (orange, yellow, clear and polarized grey), soft pouch and retention lanyard.

If the XR's or XP's come around again, I'll probably pick up another pair as a spare.

Feedback Score
    Oakley's are VERY price fixed. No one offers deals on them because if caught... they are not Oakley dealers any longer.

If you are a police/fire/millitary you can get them with the DHS discount, a pal of mine is a fireman and gets his that way. Only available to DHS verified users in black I think he said, but he gets them for about 30% off if I remember correctly.

I am not Homeland Security, so I get mine at the local shopping mall... Sunglass Hut.

Another option would be to go to one your LEO/Fireman pals and ask them to get them for you, but this violates the DHS/Oakley agreement and stands to get your pal in trouble. My pal would not even consider this type of thing so I never considered asking.

THE FOLLOWING LINK IS ONLY FOR:
    GOVERNMENT, MILITARY, SPECIAL FORCES, FBI, DEA, ICE, SWAT, DHS, FIRE, and SECRET SERVICE.

(Civilians need not bother to click as you can not buy from here unless your POLICE/FIRE/DHS)
    https://secure.usstandardissue.com/

By the way, I wear the Half Jackets with the polerized lenses. Best Oakleys I have ever owned.... Love them!
    Last edited by larry0071; 06-11-09 at 15:40. Reason: Added bottom sentance.
    I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah the SI oakley gear is some good stuff, I have a big head so I use the MFRAMES and they would well for me. Price is right also

Feedback Score
    Check eBay for M Frames as the mil surplus guys occasionally get new pairs.

That's where I got mine with 2 lenses and hard case for about $80, but it was at least a year ago.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    After breaking my M-Frames a year or so ago I picked up a pair of the Wiley-X PT-1s. I have not liked any Wiley-X product I put on my face, so these were starting out on the wrong foot. As it turned out, I really like them. They do not have the lens variety of the Oakley line, but they fit my needs. They are low, comfortable, and don't make you look like you can't be trusted with a fork. I have used them in all kinds of environments and equipment and they performed just as well as my M-Frames.

I like them enough to be buying another pair so I can have a second set already setup with a different lens color to eliminate the need to swap lenses unless they are damaged.
    Jack Leuba
    Military/Government Product Liaison
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Director of Training

Jack@F2SConsulting.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

Feedback Score
    F2S,

Have you wrote Oakley or sent in your broken M-Frames? 9 times out of 10, Oakley will replace them for you.
    I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

Feedback Score
    Found M frames at STP for $89 (after 20% off sale) incl 2 lenses

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...le-Lenses.html

Feedback Score
    I use the Wiley X PT1s also. I like them but recently after sitting in my front seat on a hot day, part of the soft nose piece flaked off....gotta call them about that
    Last edited by Redhat; 06-19-09 at 19:24.

Feedback Score
    I use Revision Sawfly with an RX insert.

http://www.revisioneyewear.com/sawfly.html

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    In a very few cases Oakley will accept disabled veterans for the US Standard Issue program and then you get the applicable discounts. I'm not sure of your current or past profession but there are different avenues to take to reach the same objective. If you fit in to this category PM me and I can point you in the right direction
    "We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight... whatever the cost may be. We shall never surrender!" - W. Churchill

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I use Bolle warrant glasses. I have two sets of lenses, clear and dark grey tinted. Quick and easy to change the lenses. Excellent fit and clarity. Retail is $160.00 but many places online for half that (like sunglassgiant).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast