Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments on a gun safe for AR

Feedback Score

Comments on a gun safe for AR

I am planning on buying a gun safe. Currently, I am looking at Dicks sporting goods. They have a Field and Stream 32 gun model for $699 on sale. This safe is 29½" wide. I want it fireproof and under 32" wide. I am planning on building it into a closet above the basement stairs.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Don't know if I'd build it in at the top of the stairs. In a fire it could fall to the ground below so it's best for a safe to be right at ground level and maybe even on an exterior wall where the fire won't be as intense - which will give more protection to the valuables inside.
    Last edited by Quentin; 05-02-11 at 13:46.
    US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Feedback Score
    Thats a very good point from the above poster, I too want some advice for a good fireproof safe. I know theres no such thing as a burglar proof safe but the more I can inconvenience the burglar the better.

Feedback Score
    One thing to consider for ARs is they are SHORT! When I went from my standard A2 20" to a collapsed stock carbine (16") it no longer "fits" in the rack. Not a huge deal as it sit near the door for frequent trips "outside".

Other than that, get heavy and get big. Never can have too much room. I ran out pretty quick. Those things like to multiply in the dark.

Also sometimes the stairs cannot stand the weight of a good safe, may want to consider a ground floor as even safe companies charge "per stair" to move it in. They charge quite a bit to do move-in sometimes.
    Last edited by TXBob; 05-02-11 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    Yep, always get as big as you can and as big as you can afford. I filled mine up almost as soon as I got it and now I am needing to get a second one.

Also, pay attention to the thickness(or better yet, thinness) of the steel being used. Most safes are 12 gauge or thinner, and are no thicker on the door than on the walls. They are getting a good portion of their weight from the sheet rock they are using for fire material.

the AMSEC BF6032 is a great safe, just more expensive than the ones at Dick's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It may or may not help you but I finally settled on one last week & I'm waiting on delivery of a Liberty Centurion Fat Boy. It's a solid safe for a decent price (they had a $200 off of it too, plus a mail in rebate for another $50 or so), imo. There are better out there for sure, but this will do for me - for now.

Feedback Score
    Regarding placing it at ground level, the negative is more moisture. My home is a ranch house, the safe above the stairs would be at "ground level" with respect to the front of the house. My basement is 75% dirt floor and I don't really want to put a safe with thousands of dollars worth of guns and jewelry down there. I felt like If I bought the safe first and built the place for it I could avoid someone trying to cut into it from the sides or rear.

Feedback Score
    As a Structural Engineer, my advice is: If you put your safe in the house and your house does not have a slab-on-grade foundation, hire a Professional Engineer to determine how to reinforce your floor.

Don't just get a couple of screw jacks and figure you can do it yourself. Seek professional assistance...

A 32"x24" fireproof safe can easily weigh 900 pounds, empty. Add 200 lbs. in guns, jewelery, and important papers, and the weight on your floor is now over 200 pounds per square foot. Your residential floor is designed for 40 pounds per square foot.

Good luck,

~Dan
    Last edited by danco; 05-02-11 at 16:58.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    Regarding placing it at ground level, the negative is more moisture. My home is a ranch house, the safe above the stairs would be at "ground level" with respect to the front of the house. My basement is 75% dirt floor and I don't really want to put a safe with thousands of dollars worth of guns and jewelry down there. I felt like If I bought the safe first and built the place for it I could avoid someone trying to cut into it from the sides or rear.
    You can put a dehumidifier inside it if moisture is a concern.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Is this for modern construction? My floor joists are 2x12's and span across an I-beam running down the center of my basement. My actual floor is 2x8 planks - the house was built before the advent of plywood. I built my safe out of 1/4" mild steel plate - its 72"x28"x18" and has been sitting in my closet for almost 2 years.

A large man standing feet together could easily produce a pressure of 200 lb/sq ft. Hell I could stand on my tip toes and create 200 lb/ sq. inch

Quote Originally Posted by danco View Post
    As a Structural Engineer, my advice is: If you put your safe in the house and your house does not have a slab-on-grade foundation, hire a Professional Engineer to determine how to reinforce your floor.

Don't just get a couple of screw jacks and figure you can do it yourself. Seek professional assistance...

A 32"x24" fireproof safe can easily weigh 900 pounds, empty. Add 200 lbs. in guns, jewelery, and important papers, and the weight on your floor is now over 200 pounds per square foot. Your residential floor is designed for 40 pounds per square foot.

Good luck,

~Dan
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast