Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    I had been told by some people, not ATF, that if you get multiple stamps that they assign an agent and go out of their way to try and get your stamps revoked.
    To put it lightly, these people you speak of are uninformed. I have quite a few stamps and know dozens of other shooters with NFA items...including several federal agents.

If there was a reason to revoke the stamps, they wouldn't have been issued in the first place. Not to mention the fact that there are more shooters with multiple stamps than there are agents in BATFE.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    I would think that, if anything, these weapons might actually be more protected than their non-NFA equivalents. The historical precedent here is not confiscation; it is simply to stop approving new NFA applications for a particular class of weapon after a given date. That is how the machinegun "ban" was enacted, and given the tremendous impact it has had on reducing wanton machinegun violence on our nation's streets since 1986, [cough, cough] it seems reasonable to presume that our legislators might be content to use a similar strategy in the future.

The risk, then -- at least as I see it -- is not that existing NFA weapons would be confiscated, but rather that the window of opportunity for manufacturing and/or registering them could potentially close at some point. Availability wouldn't necessarily go down, but the prices would inevitably rise to the point where relatively few aspiring owners would be willing or able to make that kind of investment.

If you really think about it, this has pretty much been the approach since 1934 when the NFA brought us not restriction, but simply a new form of taxation. From a legislative standpoint, why risk political capital on an unpopular ban when you can let economics take care of the problem over time?

What you have is probably safe. What you want may or may not be obtainable by the time you get around to filing the paperwork for it. A wise man wouldn't wait for the storm clouds to begin re-forming on the Congressional horizon.

AC
    This is what I was looking for. Thank you for the great answer. I know very little about suppressors so I will ask a lot of questions. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    I agree with Army Chief. Honestly, seems the current group in fed would want to make all the class 1 stuff be registered like the class 3 stuff. Your stuff should be safe.
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    indeed.. no question. no brainer.

there's absolutely no reason to register and track a gun's location and owner unless it's to know right where to confiscate it from.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4fun View Post
    I agree with Army Chief. Honestly, seems the current group in fed would want to make all the class 1 stuff be registered like the class 3 stuff. Your stuff should be safe.
    There have been proposals to turn "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines" into NFA items. It's a clever ploy, as they can honestly say that they didn't ban them - but it just makes them registered and less available to regular folks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    indeed.. no question. no brainer.

there's absolutely no reason to register and track a gun's location and owner unless it's to know right where to confiscate it from.
    This was my initial gut reaction as well.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I can't imagine our own government actually going out and taking registered NFA items away from people who went about getting them legally.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    This was my initial gut reaction as well.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I can't imagine our own government actually going out and taking registered NFA items away from people who went about getting them legally.
    it's a tool in the tool bag. LEOs love their "tools."

it'll happen during something big. they aren't going to come take your guns out of the blue- you'd shoot back and people would be up in arms and it'd be a mess. but you can come up with a hundred different scenarios when confiscation wouldn't cause such a stir- like during some kind of rebellion, or societal collapse, or invasion, or political coup, or so on and so forth. and these are the extremes- it might be a slow, subtle process.. like adding defense-rifles to the NFA registry, then prohibiting new manufacture, then a rash of crimes committed with NFA weapons and more restrictions- partial confiscations from only certain people, then more peoples, etc, etc, etc, etc.

they seem stoopid, but they're smart mother****ers.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 06-10-09 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    I always believe registration leads to confiscation eventually and history has proven me right, but as much as I distrust the ATF they have ZERO excuses to confiscate cans or other class III stuff.

The only crimes ever committed with a registered MG was actually a cop
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    at 200 bucks per stamp ,think of the money the BATF would be screwing themselves out of for operation cost.plus if some one goes to the trouble of registering a NFA weapon .I would think they would be the last to look at ,because of them following the laws and trying to to be Legal .

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i'll say it again- they don't hate guns, they don't hate criminals- they hate YOU. grabbing your guns is just how they get to you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast