Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to check status with batfe

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    Wow! MARKM that was a odd reply. I did not expect that. Have you ever looked in front of a line you were standing in? I do it all the time. I find satifaction in knowing where I stand. Anyway, it would be nice if there was a sure fire way to track the progress of a transfer and expected delivery date. I bet my ranch up here in Montana you would look it up you computer commando. Thanks again. I hope you know the "computer commando" was just a jerk on your chain.
    Calling them tells you nothing in regards to your status. In fact, they aren't even quoting expected turnaround due to their workload.

You'll learn one of these three statuses, and it actually won't tell you anything about the length of time from the call until the form gets to you:

1) Not in the system.

2) Pending on X date.

3) Approved.

or alternately:

4) Being returned for errors.

5) Rejected.

Your check can clear and you may not be in the registry system for a couple to several weeks afterwards. You may go pending and you could transition to approved immediately (unlikely), or you could be in pending for a few to several weeks, or months. You can be told you're approved, and it may take 1-3 weeks to actually get the form back.

The status does not tell you where you are in line, as you can be pending as of May 8th, but there may be 24,000 forms ahead of you -- or three -- they won't say.

You can call, but I just wait it out now. I did call recently because I sold a SF suppressor to a man in Ohio. I felt obligated to give him a solid update, even if it doesn't mean anything overall, directly from the NFA.

Feedback Score
    I checked only once on my first can. Guy who answered seemed frustrated and commented that they get hundreds of calls a day. Got me to thinking that I we stayed off the phone maybe, just maybe, they could put that person to work getting the paperwork actually done. I agree that once I know the check clears and its in the system, I'll just be patient and wait. None of these calls do anything to move our transfers along any quicker.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gk2410 View Post
    I checked only once on my first can. Guy who answered seemed frustrated and commented that they get hundreds of calls a day. Got me to thinking that I we stayed off the phone maybe, just maybe, they could put that person to work getting the paperwork actually done. I agree that once I know the check clears and its in the system, I'll just be patient and wait. None of these calls do anything to move our transfers along any quicker.
    I've wondered that too....how much time spent answering calls is wasted rather than spent actually processing paperwork?
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    I figure if they can't give me any true specifics then why bother. I put a note on my calender four months from the day my check cleared. I figure if I haven't heard anything by then, I might give them a call.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    They pay staff specifically to answer the phone and check status, so unless you demand to speak to your examiner or the group supervisors you are not actually taking time from the people "doing the approvals".

However, as I already said, they are not really giving you useful information when you do call, unless the vague status report is what you were seeking to begin with...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12