Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Form 4 - Factory SBR: Barrel Options

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Someone correct me if I am wrong. If you were building your own SBR and you put down 7.5 inches as the barrel length, you can throw a 10.5", 12" or whatever on there as long as it isn't shorter than the item currently allowed.
    Most people don't report temporary changes, longer or shorter. Some shooters have reported that their Contact at ATF told them to mail in notification if you're making a permanent set up change.

As usual, depending on who you ask, they'll have different responses from ATF.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My understanding is as long as you keep the original specified length upper, you can put whatever length you want on to play around, just as long as you can easily put it back into the originally specified configuration.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Mark,

Seems logically illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Most people don't report temporary changes, longer or shorter. Some shooters have reported that their Contact at ATF told them to mail in notification if you're making a permanent set up change.

As usual, depending on who you ask, they'll have different responses from ATF.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Mark,

Seems logically illogical.
    Of course. It's the ATF!

I just finished a training class with two agents. They stated that if the change is a permanent change to the weapons existing setup then written notification is necessary. If it is just another upper for your SBR then register the shortest one but you might still want to give them a heads up.

They said if you got an agent who wanted to make your NFA life miserable then he could, so it doesn't hurt to just let them know.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop1911 View Post
    They said if you got an agent who wanted to make your NFA life miserable then he could, so it doesn't hurt to just let them know.
    That's what it boils down to.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's what it boils down to.
    Agreed. I'm not worried about an ATF raid but at the same time I don't feel like being a test baby for an over-zealous agent.

I still believe you can have as many short uppers as you want as long as you have at least one SBR or pistol lower regardless of how many regular lowers you have. It never hurts to just send them a letter saying "Hey I've got a 10.5 on my form 1 but I bought an 11.5."
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i'm disgusted at the fact that we have to sit around here debating what we can and cant do and what hoops have to be jumped through to not get in trouble with big daddy ATF. law-abiding free American men.

what a ****in joke.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    i'm disgusted at the fact that we have to sit around here debating what we can and cant do and what hoops have to be jumped through to not get in trouble with big daddy ATF. law-abiding free American men.

what a ****in joke.
    I think that there's an overzealous, absurd tendancy to comply to regs to the point of absurdity. That's why I get cranky when the self appointed internut patrolmen start telling others what they have to do if they don't want club fed, bubba, etc.

In my limited review of ATF cases against individuals and small/fly by night gun manufacturors or dealers, I've never found that the ATF was out to shaft someone who didn't have it coming. I'll be the first one to scream from the mountain tops when I find a case of a truly innocent gun guy getting the shaft. But I've yet to see this.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The length and caliber designations are only to more accurately identify the gun. This is the reason why the ATF doesn't like "less than 26 inches" for OAL or "less than 16 inches" for bbl length or listing a whole slew of different calibers, because when it's so ambiguous like that, that information does nothing in identifying the gun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks

I appreciate all the responses in this thread. Definitely helped push me over the edge and buy instead of build.

Today I dropped the money down for a 6933, so the wait begins.

Thanks, and damn it feels good to be out of Cali.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast