Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone loan me a digital sound level meter?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Can someone loan me a digital sound level meter?

I want to gather some suppressor data but I don't want to drop major coin on a piece of gear that I will only use once or twice. Beggars can't be choosers, but I am hoping for something digital which can measure the extremely high peak sound pressure levels generated by short duration impulse events.

I would like to borrow it for about a week, but I would be open to renting as well. I know some outfits rent this gear, but I figured I'd try here first.

Feedback Score
    What type of test do you want to do? You may want to take a look at www.silencerresearch.com. There's a lot of data there. Also, someone there might also have the equipment you need.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last edited by lindertw; 06-15-09 at 06:25.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I do not have an iPhone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lindertw View Post
    ..and those will be worthless for gunshot noise measurement, suppressed or not.

If you are going to rent a meter for example, only look at;

- B&K 2209

- Larson-Davis 800-B

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If I was going to actually drop the money to rent one, I figured I would get a Larson Davis SoundTrack LxT...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    If I was going to actually drop the money to rent one, I figured I would get a Larson Davis SoundTrack LxT...
    The two meters I mentioned above, when used with the correct microphones etc., are pretty much the two industry standards for sound suppressor companies.

The SoundTrack LxT does not appear to have a high enough peak level for unsuppressed noise for example.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    The two meters I mentioned above, when used with the correct microphones etc., are pretty much the two industry standards for sound suppressor companies.

The SoundTrack LxT does not appear to have a high enough peak level for unsuppressed noise for example.
    I'll have to take your word for it, as I have no practical experience in these matters. The brief research I did via Google indicated that several individuals and organization felt that the SoundTrack LxT was ideal for recording gunfire.

This may wind up being a flight of fancy, but I would like to gather some reasonably accurate data if I can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    I'll have to take your word for it, as I have no practical experience in these matters. The brief research I did via Google indicated that several individuals and organization felt that the SoundTrack LxT was ideal for recording gunfire.

This may wind up being a flight of fancy, but I would like to gather some reasonably accurate data if I can.
    You might want to contact John Titsworth for good info, he does independent sound suppressor testing at www.silencerresearch.com

Also, Gemtech publishes a sound measurement booklet that costs only a few dollars.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, unless you are using sub-sonic rounds you will probably not get very relevant supressor data because the sound meter will pick up the round's sonic crack each time.

Ask me how I know?
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast