Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWAT-Tourniquet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

SWAT-Tourniquet

Just saw an ad for the SWAT-Tourniquet, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. If you do, any pros vs cons?

Feedback Score
    I haven't ever handled it, but reading the description I am interested in getting one to check out. I think it is worth looking into, multipurpose items cut down on the gear you have to carry.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've got one and thankfully have never had to use it.(civvy here). Nice in its simplicity and visual indicators for how tight you want it, on the thing. Also useful as a pressure / bandage holder.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a couple of them (the owner was nice enough to send me some for my website, as did many others). I am not qualified to comment on whether or not they work as designed, but from my layman's point of view they would appear to.

What I really like about them is that they are small and easily packed and if used with gauze or pads can double as a pressure bandage if not applied at full tension. There are instructions right on the product as to how to do both, which is also a plus.

From my tourniquet page

installed in BFG Tourniquet NOW! strap

Feedback Score
    It's a very old design concept, updated. Inexpensive and reliable when used correctly. Has other uses besides as a TQ. We authorize it.

"(Almost) any TQ will do if YOU will do."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not a doc, emt, or medic. Bought some for myself and some other medical people. So far I have found it extremely difficult to apply properly 1-handed. I watched the videos the developers put out and wonder how much the guy in the video practiced before he could do it 1-handed, quickly. Currently, I do not feel comfortable with the SWAT-T as the only tourniquet in any kit. I will continue to work my trainer piece and give it a fair shake.
    Last edited by bsf; 07-18-09 at 00:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Just saw an ad for the SWAT-Tourniquet, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. If you do, any pros vs cons?
    Looks like a cheapie, cost-saving measure (as oppsed to a life-saving measure). I would go with the last two in rob_s' post or a kravat using a girth-hitch for cost saving + life saving measures.
    BTW, the Isreali tournie (second row, first one) is not too bad and I believe current issue for standard troops.
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Food For Thought

Not to pose any discredit, but just to pose some thought. What's the difference in that and the piece of rubber they use to slow down blood flow when drawing blood, besides the thickness. The Isreali tournie works. You can put that thing on , crank it down, and feel no blood pumping back through your Brachial or Femoral Artery what-so-ever. The second to last (second row, fourth down) is a better version of that, which is more conducive to self-aid and the last looks like a more condensed version of that. However I will say that the aluminum tension bar should be a point seller for all.
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score

SWAT-Tourniquet,

I have not used it live during a SWAT callout, but I hav been using in training. I am pleased with it. Easy to use and train other non-medics for self-aid or buddy-aid. Very "KISS"

I have used it on the FireFighting side of the house as large compression dressing to hold things in place. Excellent for splinting when things are wet or bloddy when tape won't stick (nobody seems to carry the good tape on their trucks), so I just grab the SWAT-T to get things done. Works well. I would make it standard hear for every copy or EMT-T/P.

I have used other types or Torniquets and have been please with them (each has it on place and function), this just seems a little quicker for me, given that most times for me it will be used in a compression role most often.

Pouch is nice and takes up very little Molle space or can be dropped in a cargo pant easily.

Feedback Score
    As with most of the other commenters, I've never had to use one, but I do carry them.

I got mine based on the following principles:

- Due to the cost/size, I'd have one when otherwise I wouldn't have any tourniquet.
    - They are multipurpose, as noted above. Compression bandage, wrap, or even just for tying something in a pinch.
    - Ease of use. CAT and the Israeli are fine if you've trained, but the SWAT-T is more intuitive when the lizard brain is the only part working.
    - Did I mention they're cheap enough and small enough to have when you need one, not just when you think you'll need one?

Can I tell you it's the best bloodflow-stopping device ever made? No. But based on the above reasons, it has its place.
    "I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
    -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast