Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SWAT-Tourniquet

Feedback Score
    Haven't had to use it live but have trained with. While not general issue they are recommended kit and a few of us at work carry them. The size makes them easy to carry in the cargo pocket or vest pocket for those who use an external carrier.
    Nobody Cares! Fix It!

Feedback Score
    I think that they work fine on the arms, but I'd rather have the SF Tourniquet for a wound on the upper legs.
    You can crank down on the SF more.
    Domari Nolo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Savior 6 View Post
    Not to pose any discredit, but just to pose some thought. What's the difference in that and the piece of rubber they use to slow down blood flow when drawing blood, besides the thickness. The Isreali tournie works. You can put that thing on , crank it down, and feel no blood pumping back through your Brachial or Femoral Artery what-so-ever. The second to last (second row, fourth down) is a better version of that, which is more conducive to self-aid and the last looks like a more condensed version of that. However I will say that the aluminum tension bar should be a point seller for all.
    What you are calling the "Isreali tournie" is the CAT; standard issue for US Army (and other US forces). http://www.combattourniquet.com/

You might be thinking of the Isreali Dressing 6510-01-492-2275 (6" pad, large size) here.
    http://www.firstcareproducts.com/apage/3320.php

Stephen

Feedback Score
    I think the SWAT-T is a good tourniquet for buddy aid, but I would not want to try and put one on my own arm or leg after being shot or blown up and covered in blood, etc.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_H View Post
    I think the SWAT-T is a good tourniquet for buddy aid, but I would not want to try and put one on my own arm or leg after being shot or blown up and covered in blood, etc.

Stephen
    I'd agree, it's not ideal. There are better options, but I'd argue that if it's something that's been practiced (more than once or twice), it could still be possible.
    Myself, and my training group, are pretty big fans of the SWAT-T, partially because it fits out needs as armed citizens first (no LBE, no uniform, few pockets) due to size, and we've spent time with it regularly.
    One of the things we try to do, and use as an element of course work, is to induce stress during "practicals", and use the tools of self-care under stress. We've also played with them when wet/slick with a blood substitute (soapy water, fake blood, whatever). No, it's not being for real shot/blown up/bloodied, but its something. And what we've seen is that with some repetition, and occasional refreshing, using the SWAT-T under stress (including one handed use) becomes much easier.
    No, it's not perfect, but what is? Other factors may mean it's the tool you're going to have when that injury happens. If someones going to use this thing, regular practice with it is highly recommended. (As it is with any of these tools, actually. I think this is an area of training where drilling, regularly, is often seriously overlooked).

Also, as a general FYI- I don't know if it's been said elsewhere but Griff, from Remote Medical, commented on a review I wrote of the SWAT-T, http://bfelabs.blogspot.com/2009/06/...ourniquet.html, and said that another section, 9" of material (20" stretched), is added to the SWAT-T for 2010. This is in response to failures and difficulties on larger limbs (particularly upper-legs) on bigger folks. I know one of my guys had a problem with just that. I'm looking forward to snagging a couple of the longer ones when they hit.

Feedback Score
    As others have already mentioned, it is very very difficult to properly apply one handed. Its fine if you want to place a few in your aid kit for buddy use however it is absolutely critical that you carry at least two tourniquets on you which you can apply one handed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12