Thread: Left Side Charging handles on the AR?

Feedback Score

Left Side Charging handles on the AR?

I got to play with an FN SCAR recently and I REALLY liked the left side charging handle and it's proximity to the bolt catch. Besides American Spirit Arms has any one else done a left side charging handle conversion on an AR?

Also reciprocating and non reciprocating, what is the consensus here, good or bad. My thoughts are you have complete control over the bolt for clearing any kind of stoppage but then you have the bolt handle moving during firing. My only concern would be if you had to brace the left side of the rifle against something and inadvertently inturupted the operation of the bolt...

IPSC_GUY
    SIERRA II ALPHA

Feedback Score
    Harrison at www.ar15performance.com is working on one.

I wouldn't want reciprocating, for the reasons you mentioned.

Oh yeah, and Addax: http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/...idcategory=137
    Last edited by carbinero; 06-17-09 at 11:01.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think that a side-charging upper would be an improvement as I have never liked ar charging handles.

The best way to go would be a non-reciprocating ch with built-in forward assist.

Like pistons, there would be no standardization for carriers and upper receivers between manufacturers.
    Last edited by Drummer; 06-17-09 at 11:27.