Thread: Black Hills 5.56 : 77gr Sierras or 62gr TSX for coyotes out to 500y

Feedback Score

Black Hills 5.56 : 77gr Sierras or 62gr TSX for coyotes out to 500y

Out of a Noveske 18 inch SPR rig. What round is the best choice if you could only stock up on one. ?

Which round would me most effective ?

Specifically referring to the mk262 Mod1 and the 5.56 62gr tsx.

TP...
    Last edited by TacPlinker; 04-12-14 at 13:20.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    They're both great, with an edge in precision to 262 and terminal/barrier performance with the TSX. Given my application of 5.56 in practical use, I'd go with the TSX.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You will have to shoot both at 500yds to see which one your rifle likes best.

Feedback Score
    Understood. But was mostly concerned with terminal performance between two totally different rounds at extended range from a quality 1/7 twist barrel.

TP...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I doubt that the 62.TSX will expand out to 500 yards. Maybe to 300 depending on your barrel length, velocity etc. I also doubt it is anywhere near as accurate as the 77. The MK262 was designed for long range and is what I would use unless you have a freak rifle that hates it or prefers the TSX.

Feedback Score
    I kill a lot of coyotes using the 70 grain TSX and the 77 SMK in hand loads. Mostly from 14.5 and 16" barrels. Shot placement is key for me. I prefer the 77's as the targets are small, particularly at 300 plus off sticks / unusual shooting positions. The SMK just fly's better at longer ranges and in the wind. Both kill the dogs equally.

I use the 70's on hogs and they work well behind the ear.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't use either one for coyotes at that distance.
    They are rather thin and you would do better with a ballistic tipped bullet with a thin jacket.

But if you have to choose from those, the SMK is what I would use, you have a better chance of bullet upset/better terminal effect. It is a thin jacketed match grade boolit, the tsx would pencil through and coyote would run off and die far away

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd be for trying to compare the 69gr SMK's to the 70gr TSX units to compare on just that, but the big difference is that the heavier SMK's are great at bucking wind, so if you care about hitting stuff at longer ranges in addition to taking coyotes, I'd run SMK's so you have additional data and practice with running those - if you'd prefer to keep a stock of barrier capable loads, then run the TSX (in 62gr or 70gr flavor); of those I'd lean towards the 77gr SMKs:

I can see at least having some Mk262 clone ammunition around, seems a shame to own a precision rig of that sort without some stash of match ammunition that matches it perfectly, so I'd at least start there, then decide if you want to experiment with TSX loads later.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister