Thread: DPMS 7.62 AP4?

Feedback Score

DPMS 7.62 AP4?

I've started looking at maybe getting an ar-15 in .308. One that has caught my eye is the DPMS LR-308AP4 with a railed forend. I like the idea of a semi-auto .308 rifle in a relatively compact package. Seeing what some people say about this gun sounds encouraging but, I just wanted to hear what others think about them.

My main use for this gun would be critter hunting out to at least 400 yards with a low powered scope, so the gun won't be ran very hard. Would something like the AP4 be suitable for this task in the accuracy and reliability department?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i know alotta people here aren't crazy about dpms but until lmt,lwrc,et al get a move on production,dpms is the only sr-25 mag compatible game in town.guys i know with dpms .308's are happy with the rifle's accuracy.i'm in the process of building one myself(as soon as i can get some parts!).i say,go for it.if you dont like it,you can always sell it.

Feedback Score
    Well after finding other opinions on the AP4, I think I'll try to find one. I'm going ot hit some gunstores on monday and hopefully one might have one or at elast on order. I know one has had one before and I wish I had looked at it closer now. The other option is to order it. R-Guns told me they could have one in 1-3 weeks. Should I even trust them when they say that? I know some people have had issues with R-Guns, but I figured that since the panic is subsiding, 1-3 weeks might be reasonable. I wouldn't consider them, but they have the best price that I can find.

Feedback Score
    Well, I did find an AP4 without a quadrail at a gunshop yesterday. The only thing that bugged me was that the gun supposedly only had 6 rounds shot through before the owner wold it and another 308 DPMS to get money. The thing that worried me was that the BCG was dry and one of the mags seemed to have a bent feedlip. It cost $1150, which seemed a little high since it is used and seeing how sales have slowed down.

The other option I am exploring is getting the LR-308T since I can find them for cheaper. The only issue I have with them is the upper's lack of an ejection port cover and the upper's higher rail. I am also not crazy about the set screw gas block. Are these really a big deal? I thought that the savings I would get by going with this gun would allow be to by a better scope for it, or put a rifle length rail on it. Might that be a better way to go?

Feedback Score
    That is probably not a bad price, at least after perusing Arfcom's EE. New mags can be had for $40 or so now. Carefully inspect the bolt carrier and it's components and all mating surfaces for damage or unreasonable wear and then git 'er done!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    Well, I did find an AP4 without a quadrail at a gunshop yesterday. The only thing that bugged me was that the gun supposedly only had 6 rounds shot through before the owner wold it and another 308 DPMS to get money. The thing that worried me was that the BCG was dry and one of the mags seemed to have a bent feedlip. It cost $1150, which seemed a little high since it is used and seeing how sales have slowed down.

The other option I am exploring is getting the LR-308T since I can find them for cheaper. The only issue I have with them is the upper's lack of an ejection port cover and the upper's higher rail. I am also not crazy about the set screw gas block. Are these really a big deal? I thought that the savings I would get by going with this gun would allow be to by a better scope for it, or put a rifle length rail on it. Might that be a better way to go?
    Wait and find an AP4 since you don't need the LR for your stated uses. The ejection port cover is not an issue and the 20 MOA rail is for long range shooting.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a plan. Besides I'm in a bit of a holding pattern right now about what I'm getting next(AP4, convert a saiga, something else), so waiting and making a solid decision isn't very hard.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Besides I'm in a bit of a holding pattern right now about what I'm getting next(AP4, convert a saiga, something else), so waiting and making a solid decision isn't very hard.
    If you've got the funds, skip the factory quad rail. It weighs a metric ton. SWS and DD both have much nicer, lighter offerings that you could add later.

I'm not all that into having rails all over the place so I am going with a JP FF tube and just adding a couple rail sections where I need them along with the full length top rail.

Feedback Score

DPMS 7 62 AP4

full-auto if you continued to hold the trigger or without trigger input? it is possible for them to malfunction and have that happen but I forget what causes it.