Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hodgson 335 powder question

Feedback Score

Question to Remington

Well this question on Rem primers has my curiousity up so I posted the question to Remington.
    I just received a notification that it may take up to 3-days for a response to my question. I will post the response in its entirety once I get an answer.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score

Exclamation

xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-07-09 at 21:51.
    Qui Me Tangit Paenitebit (he who touches me will repent)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rat31465 View Post
    Well this question on Rem primers has my curiousity up so I posted the question to Remington.
    I just received a notification that it may take up to 3-days for a response to my question. I will post the response in its entirety once I get an answer.
    Until you hear from them, here is some information from Remington on differences between 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 primers posted on TOS. No mention of magnum primer:

To: rwhmachine@
    Subject: 6 1/2 small rifle primers [Incident: 090427-000041]
    Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 11:08:26 AM [View Source]

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
    center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you
    within 72 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.
    Subject
    ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
    6 1/2 small rifle primers

Discussion Thread
    ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
    Response (Daniel) - 04/29/2009 11:08 AM
    Robert,

Both of these primers are of the correct size and will perform, we
    recommend the 7 1/2 simply because of its thicker cup metal and less likelihood
    of pierced primers and blowback on the high pressure loads. When using the 6
    1/2 it is important that you watch them closely as they are not designed for the
    high pressures.

Customer - 04/27/2009 08:29 PM
    understanding Remington does not reccomend these for .223, I have 2 questions:
    1 Why?
    2 Using a slow powder, TAC and starting a charge at 10% below max, will these be
    safe? I contacted the manufacturer that makes TAC and the lab guy told me he had
    no concern with this app but did suggest the obvious of starting at 10% below
    max and working up watching for signs of excessive pressures. He told me with
    the TAC powders burn rate there wouldn't be much difference at all with the
    Remington 6 1/2 compared to the 41 or 400 (CCI) small rifle primer.
    If you don't agree, please explain why not. I am just trying to get complete
    info.
    Thank you.

Question Reference #090427-000041
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score

CCI#41

Is the CCI #41 a special order primer? I have never seen it for sale at stores. Because I have never used them, I haven't searched for them in places like shotgun news, or Precision rifle magazine, or at any of the normal vendors I use.

Is it a common or hard to find primer?

Feedback Score

Rem 7 1/2 srbr

Quote Originally Posted by rat31465 View Post
    Thats interesting to note.
    Back when I was shooting Benchrest I was in contact with some of the factory Reps from Hogdon and from Remington and had more than one discusion on the use of Rem 7 1/2 Small Rifle Bencrest Primers.
    It was their stance that Benchrest primers were not in fact considered Magnum Primers.
    Basically a Magnum primer has a cup that is of slightly larger and formed of a harder material and of a burn rate which is hotter and of longer duration than are standard primers.

Benchrest Primers have to meet exacting standards for consistency in the hardness of the cups and anvil and of the burn rates and temperature.

I am not doubting you but I would like to ask what your source was for this chart?
    As no link or other information was given.
    Here is Remingtons response in full minus only a little personal information which I edited out.

Remington 7 1/2 SRBR Primers [Incident: 090623-000020]
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:46 PM
    "Remington Information" <info@remington.com>
    Add sender to Contacts
    To:
    rat31465@yahoo.com

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
    center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you
    within 72 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

You may also update this question by replying to this message. Because
    your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply
    in the space below. Text entered into any other part of this message
    will be discarded.
    I high lighted the response in Red .

If your issue remains unresolved, please update this question at
    http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...ted=1245773744

Subject
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Remington 7 1/2 SRBR Primers

Discussion Thread
    Response (Daniel) - 06/25/2009 04:46 PM
    Hello and thank you for contacting Remington Country

The 7 1/2 SRBR Remington Primers are NOT considered Magnum primers. While we do recommend them for the higher pressure small rifle calibers, such as .223 Remington, they are considered Bench Rest, not Magnum.

Thank you so much for your interest in Remington products, and please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
    Question Reference #090623-000020

Customer (David Owens) - 06/23/2009 12:15 PM
    I am currently involved in a discussion on a forum regarding the use of Rem 7 1/2 SRBR primers.
    We are trying to determine if the Remington 7 1/2 SRBR primer is considered a Magnum Primer or not, it has always been my understanding that it is not.
    Can you clarify this?[/
    Product Level 1: Ammunition
    Product Level 2: Reloading Components
    Date Created: 06/23/2009 12:15 PM
    Last Updated: 06/25/2009 04:46 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you. If we
    can be of further assistance, please contact us at
    1-800-243-9700, M-F, 9am-5pm EST.
    Remington Arms Co. -- America's Oldest Gunmaker
    870 Remington Drive, Madison, NC 27025
    1-800-243-9700 or 1-336-548-8700--FAX: 1-336-548-7801
    Visit us in Remington Country at http://www.remington.com/
    REMEMBER, FIREARMS SAFETY DEPENDS ON YOU!
    Whether you are a beginner or an advanced user,
    our new Safety Section is a must for everyone.
    http://www.remington.com/safety
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    [---001:002288:09873---]
    Last edited by rat31465; 06-25-09 at 18:19. Reason: checked for spelling
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    Is the CCI #41 a special order primer? I have never seen it for sale at stores. Because I have never used them, I haven't searched for them in places like shotgun news, or Precision rifle magazine, or at any of the normal vendors I use.

Is it a common or hard to find primer?
    a lot of online places stock them
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    H335 is my go to powder for .223 (light bullet weights to heavy weight rounds) have never used mag primers.

Feedback Score
    I've been reloading for about 35 years, and been burning Ball/Spherical powders for most of that time. The only incidents of a Ball powder not performing properly with standard primers that I have heard of have all involved cold (sub-freezing) to extreme cold temperatures (sub-zero).

Some of the guys who are all about a low SD (Standard Deviation) when shooting over the chronograph say that magnum primers reduce the SD with Ball powders. That can, but doesn't always, equate to smaller group size - all other things being equal.

If I was planning a once-in-a-lifetime moose, caribou or elk hunt and planned to use Ball powder, I probably would go with a magnum primer just to be on the safe side. If I was loading a long magnum case with 100+ grains of Ball powder, I definitely would use a magnum primer. IMHO, if you're not hunting arctic hares (or invading Russians) in the Alaskan winter or shooting for the smallest possible SD, for 99% of us, it isn't going to make any discernible difference whether we use standard or magnum primers.
    "This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok." Matthew Quigley, Quigley Down Under

Feedback Score

Mag Primers

I have never seen the need for Magnum primers using ball powders and I have used ball powder almost exclusive of all others.
    I shoot lots of BL-C(2) and H-380 and the only time I have felt a real neccesity for a Magnum primers was when using course stick powders such as IMR7828, Hogdon/IMR 4831 in large capacity rifle casings.

As an aside note back when I used to shoot a .38 Super in IPSC, I used Small Rifle Benchrest Primers exclusively in my pistol casings. A hot .38 Super load running on the edge of SAMMI pressure specs needs all the consistency you can muster to keep rounds from blowing.

Never had any problems with the hang fires due to using harder cupped rifle primers as reported by some.

Here is an interesting read about Primers from James Calhoon, a noted Benchrest Shooter and Varmint Bullet Manufacture. Albeit it is a little on the older side. I thought the insight was useful
    http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php
    Last edited by rat31465; 06-28-09 at 11:30. Reason: added link

Feedback Score
    I've used H335 pretty extensively with standard CCI SR primers in ARs with good results. I have not done any long range (200 yards plus) shooting with them, but so far I have been happy.

I think I might switch to H322 since it is an 'extreme' powder according to the manufacturer.

TR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast