Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which dedicated .22 AR upper/complete gun did you buy and why?

Feedback Score
    Great thread Rob... I'm hoping to be in the market soon for a dedicated .22lr upper myself so I'm totally gonna swipe your research.
    Keep your powder dry.

M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I am a tactical marketing professional. PM for details.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had a Spike's Tactical .22LR upper for almost two years now, before most if not all of the other dedicated upper mentioned came out. I had no break-in issues, and did no tinkering to make it work. In the time I've had it I've shot about 10,000 rounds through it. So long as I feed it Federal Bulk Pack, American Eagle, or Aguila-brand ammo, and clean the thing every 500 rounds or so, it almost never malfunctions. Up to about 50 meters or so, which is as far as I've ever bothered to group it, it's easy to get 2-3 inch groups from the bench with an EOTech, with any of the above-indicated ammunition. This upper is one of the best weapon-related things I've ever spent money on and I'm extremely happy with it.

Feedback Score
    Tac Sol M4 style upper. First 150 rounds were flawless. I went Tac Sol for the SS Bolt group.

More testing tomorrow.

ETA: I have now put 400 rounds through the upper. CCI Mimi mags / CCI Blazer / Federal Bulk pak / Federal Red box. No failures. I am very satisfied.

Mark
    Last edited by mgobel; 08-15-09 at 07:47.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Known complete uppers:
    CMMG
    Model 1 Sales
    Spike's Tactical
    Tactical Solutions

What I want to know is:

1. what made you choose one over the other?
    2. what were your experiences with either/both prior to purchase?
    3. what were your initial impressions?
    4. what, if any, break-in issues did you have?
    5. what, if any, initial tinkering did you have to do to get it to work?
    6. what's your current round count up to?
    7. how many malfunctions have you had to date and has the frequency increased or decreased?
    8. what is your current impression of your purchase?
    9. do you wish you had bought a different make/model now that you've been shooting it for awhile?
    10. what ammo has been the *best* (most reliable and accurate) in your upper?

what I am NOT interested in hearing about are .22 drop-in kits on 5.56 upper and I am NOT interested in hearing about out-of-production uppers like the DPMS. I am also not interested in hearing bashing of one or the other, or hysterical responses/defenses if you feel like your choice is being slighted. Finally, while I'm not opposed to hearing about it, I'm not terribly interested in the Carbon 15 .22 upper or in the complete guns like the Umarex or the S&W dedicated .22 ARs. Complete, dedicated .22 uppers only.
    1. Spikes and the reason was availability. Tactical Solutions was 6 months back at the time.
    2. I had not shot either prior to purchase.
    3. Initial impressions were it was finicky with ammo. (only worked with Federal bulk pack when it was new and the accuracy was so so 3 or so inches at 50 yards.
    4. After about 4000 rounds the upper started to work with all ammo but Remington Gold Bullet. It is more accurate now that I can try difference ammo. About 1.5 inches at 50 yards. It even works with standard pressure Ely ammo.
    5. I did break a hammer pin but it was a DPMS parts kit. I did not tinker with the upper in anyway.
    6. When I first got the gun it was very finicky and the malfunction rate with the ammo it worked with was about 3 or 4 per 100 rounds. Now after 5k rounds through the gun it works until you get it so dirty the rounds don't want to chamber which is around 600 rounds. Then you need to clean it which is easy. So now I can go a long time without a malfunction.
    7. I am very happy with my purchase. Its an excellent trainer and its a lot of fun.
    8. I am happy with the model I purchase.
    9.The upper works with pretty much anything now. Over its history Federal was the most reliable. CCI Blazer is the most accurate and my preferred plinking load now.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is great, a ton of useful info condensed into one thread.

My preference is similar to Rob's: want to avoid proprietary complete rifles (good as they may be) such as the Colt/Umarex or the S&W 15-22, and stick with .22lr uppers that can run on standard milspec lowers, and that use some type of fairly common .22lr magazine (seems like the "Black Dog" or "M261" mags have become a de facto standard).

From the thread, sounds like 2 of the top choices for training and plinking are the uppers from Spikes or Tactical Solutions. If I decide to go with more of a match/target oriented upper (something that would be similar to a CMP standard setup and help train for CMP matches), my understanding from John at White Oak Precision is that the Compass Lake Engineering uppers are a great option as well. Those CLE uppers cost over $1K though, so I don't know if I will go that way. Right now, a general-use .22lr upper sounds more appealing. I may look at the TacSol "LT" upper (which is set up differently from their "M4"), because that gives the flexibility of putting a carry handle and sights on it to set it up like a CMP match rifle. Or, you can run it as a flat top with an optic. More flexible, and several hundred dollars less than the CLE offering, though obviously it won't have the same accuracy potential.

Feedback Score
    Known complete uppers:
    CMMG
    Model 1 Sales
    Spike's Tactical
    Tactical Solutions

What I want to know is:

I went with Spikes (complete upper and lower) over TacSol on the basis of recommendations from this site and others also I could add a USMC logo on it. )Note the rifle has a standard barrel and I get about 1 inch groups with iron sights at 25 meters...not bad at all)
      Spikes was great but my FFL (GunRunnersTactical) misplaced my paperwork so it took and extra 3 weeks to get it.
      Nice quality machining on par with other high dollar name brands
      Standard FTE's but that I think was more finicky ammo (see below for answer) but thanks to the nickle plated bolt carrier group everything runs smoothly
      None at all
      maybe 500 still breaking in
    7. how many malfunctions have you had to date and has the frequency increased or decreased?
      about 20 or so out of 500+ rounds fired (Note I have had no FTF yet)
      Why did I wait this long
    9. do you wish you had bought a different make/model now that you've been shooting it for awhile?
      No I like my setup
      .22 tacticool

Due to .22 ammo being in short supply here and online I havent tested much
    ---It works OK with Aguila match pistol and match rifle 40 grain. Its finicky and has a FTE ratio of 1 in 50 or so but then again I get about the same ratio with my tricked out Ruger 10/22 with this ammo but the plus side its very accurate
    ---Federal Blue box 40 grain lead round nose FTE about 1-100 which is fine by me
    ---Federal Auto match bulk aout of the 75 or so I fired the other day I had not FTEs but I have ony one box of them so I am using them sparingly because the automatch is my prefered ammo for my 10/22
    Federal and Wichester coper jacket just doesnt work and 36 grain was just painful to shoot because it jammed too often...I prefer lead round nose
    My rigs

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Did some accuracy testing today and I got better groups than I have in the past. Range was 50 yards and the rifle was shot off sandbags.

Last edited by Alaskapopo; 08-26-09 at 02:02.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Mag-Sol AR-22

Known complete uppers:
    CMMG
    Model 1 Sales
    Spike's Tactical
    Tactical Solutions

What I want to know is:

what I am NOT interested in hearing about are .22 drop-in kits on 5.56 upper and I am NOT interested in hearing about out-of-production uppers like the DPMS. I am also not interested in hearing bashing of one or the other, or hysterical responses/defenses if you feel like your choice is being slighted. Finally, while I'm not opposed to hearing about it, I'm not terribly interested in the Carbon 15 .22 upper or in the complete guns like the Umarex or the S&W dedicated .22 ARs. Complete, dedicated .22 uppers only.
    Well, I finally got through the first 650 rounds and can answer the questions Rob posted:

I was looking for a 1"@ 50 yd .22LR upper I could use to give me trigger time on my 5.56 lower without the cost of 5.56. The ability to keep the FCG habits the same, still be able to take care of pests on the farm, and introduce the kids to rifle shooting all pointed to a dedicated .22 upper.

(1) At $525 with the TacSol (Mike Rock) barrel, the potential accuracy at a better price for the TacSol upper compared to the upgraded Spikes pushed me to the TacSol camp. I clean my rifles right after I shoot them so the nickle treatment on the Spike's bolt didn't seem to make that much of a difference.
    (2) Actually saw a guy in the next lane at NRA working with one of the earlier TacSol uppers and not having too much fun with all the jams. (Third time the shell fail to extract he packed it up and headed out) That had me a little concerned but watching a few posts showing TacSol stepping up and fixing them made eased the concern. So the shorter version of the answer would be none.
    (3) Iniitial impressions have been very positive. Aside from the need to use un-nocthed hammers, it was a true drop-in and run purchase that has be without hiccup. Quality construction and < 1" @ 50 yds with Fed 550 bulk pack. Just what I was looking for.
    (4) No break-in issues. Only tried Fed 550 bulk pack and 325 count Fed AutoMatch. No FTF / FTEs.
    (5) Don't try to use the upper with a notched hammer. Major PITA to fix (thanks to Robb at VA Arms for unf*#king it!)
    (6) 650
    (7) None
    (8) Zero
    (9) Huge fun - very happy with it. Would not change a thing. I did switch out the handguards for the MagPul MOE and added the MagPul MBUS. Need to put a sling attachment up front so I can use my sling from my real AR. Otherwise GTG.
    (10) No interest in another brand or choice. This does everything I ask of it.
    (11) Fed Bulk pack 550 count 36 gr HP and 40gr Fed AutoMatch 325 count boxes from Wal-Mart have been working well. Will try Stingers and a few others to wring out the accuracy potential, however, for inside 50 yds, this set-up handles the chores I need it to take care of.

My Mag-Sol next to the Noveske:

Cheers,
    Pk
    Last edited by Pk14; 10-29-09 at 01:56.

Feedback Score
    Known complete uppers:
    CMMG
    Model 1 Sales
    Spike's Tactical
    Tactical Solutions

I bought a Tactical Solutions M4

What I want to know is:

It was readily available through Midway USA.
      None
      I was very impressed with the quality, materials and worksmanship, but see below:
      When I first got it, it was a single shot. It fed, fired, ejected and fed a second round, but wouldn't cock the action after the first shot. Bolt stuck open with no magazine in place.
      None - TacSol asked me to ship the entire rifle to them at their expense. They repaired, tuned and returned it in about 2 weeks.
      400 rounds to date
      None since they tuned it.
      Love it!
      No
    Wally World Federal Bulk Pack 36 gr hp 100% reliable. Federal Auto Match 100% reliable and very accurate.

What I am NOT interested in hearing about are .22 drop-in kits on 5.56 upper and I am NOT interested in hearing about out-of-production uppers like the DPMS. I am also not interested in hearing bashing of one or the other, or hysterical responses/defenses if you feel like your choice is being slighted. Finally, while I'm not opposed to hearing about it, I'm not terribly interested in the Carbon 15 .22 upper or in the complete guns like the Umarex or the S&W dedicated .22 ARs. Complete, dedicated .22 uppers only.
    I was a little disappointed when I first got it and had some problems, but TacSol's customer service is the best! I look forward to many more rounds. This thing is so much fun to shoot, it should be illegal!

Update 1/18/10 - I've now put 895 rounds thru it - mostly Federal Bulk from Wally World. No malfunctions of any kind. I'm sure Spike's are great also, but I wouldn't trade this one!

Last edited by rman43; 01-19-10 at 10:31. Reason: Added URL to picture of m4

Feedback Score
    I built my own. Spikes was back ordered for months, Tac Sol or CMMG didn't have one out yet. This was a couple of years ago.

I have built several 22 uppers for various people. If you are looking for a complete rifle in 22 I would go with the S&W M&P 15-22. It is cheaper than the Colt and uses a standard AR trigger and hammer.

If you are looking for a 16" barrel dedicated upper I would buy a CMMG. Most will require a little break in. Some of the newer bolts that are polished or plated work fine out of the box. We have had good luck with the CMMG magazines. Black Dog Machine makes good magazines as well.

If you want a short barrel version send me a pm or email. We offer the CMMG 16" versions but built our own 6" sbr uppers.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast