Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clamp on gas blocks? how reliable?

Feedback Score

Clamp on gas blocks? how reliable?

I have a DD low profile gas block and was wondering, what are the chances of this thing coming loose? this is a fairly hard use rifle, and my only rifle. it gets shot about 5k rds a year and is used as a home defense gun, shtf gun, etc.. i DO NOT want the gas block loosening up, and im rather paranoid about it now because, before the DD clamp on gas block, i had a YHM clamp on gas block installed by spikes tactical. when i went to take the gas block off and install the new one, the screws on the yhm gas block were extremely easy to remove.

I highly doubt that spikes forgot to tighten down the screws properly, as they do good work. however, the rifle had less then 500 rds down the tube since the install, which has me worried.

I tightened the shit out of the screws on the DD block and also used rockset on them, it seems pretty solid but, idk...

my other option (more time consuming) is to get a Larue gas block and send the barrel off to ADCO to get it installed/pinned in place.

Feedback Score
    I personally do not trust the clamp on gas blocks, however the ones that the set screws intersect the barrel like the original pin on FSBs in my experience are more stable.

The vertical set screws do not intersect the barrel and are more prone to being moved if bumped hard potentially causing gas leaks and failure of the weapon to cycle.

I am still a fan of the original colt style FSB, it is considered part of the barrel by the manufacturers and is solidly pinned in place.

I read an article in one of the gun rags written by Larry Vickers some time ago and he states almost the same sentiments that I hold, and went on to say that he doesn't consider any rifle with a clamp on block/fsb a serious tactical weapon.

My personal thoughts are on a plinker it's a non issue, but if you intend to do some hard training and actually use the weapon for what it was designed for then anything that could compromise the gas system is a no go, no matter what marketing hype or how "high speed" it looks.
    Last edited by FMF_Doc; 06-20-09 at 14:43.

Feedback Score
    thanks doc! not exactly the words i wanted to hear but, now i know what i need to do.

i pm'ed robb to see if i can work something out with him, my other route (if it wont take too long) is to order a barrel w/ pinned FSB from anvil arms and ill just shave it down and refinish it.

they have nice barrels w/ fsb for a little over $200 bucks, so id like to give them a try, especially with them being a florida company.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm too a fan of standard FSB, anyway I was surprised when I read the torque test MilitaryMorons did on a Vltor FSB

http://militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics2.html
    *** Damn Proud to Be an American Ally ! ***

The Armory:
    Colt 6601 - Colt 6731 - Colt 613 - Steyr StG.58 - M1 Carbine - Galil SAR - CZ Scorpion EVO - Franchi PA8 - Glock 17 - Pietta/Colt SAA 1873 - SA 1911A1 Mil Spec - Ruger LCP

Feedback Score
    very interesting read, and confirms my own experiences as well.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I wonder if having it silver soldered would be an option?

Feedback Score
    I use one and have never had any problems with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I wonder if having it silver soldered would be an option?
    i was thinking and am considering possibly having the bolt head welded to the gas block.

if i had to get it off i could still cut the thing off, but short of that, with the bolts welded to the gas block, i seriously doubt the the gas block would be moving, ever.

Feedback Score
    vltor vst this one has caught my interest, I am waiting for the pinned version to come out.

the split ring designs seem better than the others and put a lot of clamping surface around the barrel, so with right attachment method I think for average joe use it would be fine.
    Last edited by FMF_Doc; 06-20-09 at 18:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FMF_Doc View Post
    vltor vst this one has caught my interest, I am waiting for the pinned version to come out.

the split ring designs seem better than the others and put a lot of clamping surface around the barrel, so with right attachment method I think for average joe use it would be fine.
    im not worried about the thing rotating or getting bumped out of place, especially since its covered by a larue rail. what im concerned with is the screws backing out.

i know a good little shop down the street from where i shoot, i think ill have them spot weld the bolt to the gb, that will def. erase any worries i have of the thing moving. if i have to get it off ill just cut it off and buy a new one. i think welding the bolts will be the best thing to do at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast