Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kit Recommendations

Feedback Score

Kit Recommendations

Last edited by K.L. Davis; 11-25-09 at 21:18.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    Burn Kit - burn care gets overlooked a lot.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score

Burn Kits

Quote Originally Posted by FMF_Doc View Post
    Burn Kit - burn care gets overlooked a lot.
    Yes it does and oddly enough it is not an uncommon issue. especially amongst Backpacker camper types.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yup, I was ignorant of it myself (burn kit), until I took the WFR course this year. It is not an uncommon injury amongst the back country folk due to the amount of tiny ass stoves. Gave me chills when we discussed it, how many times have you cooked with your stove on the picnic table or rock above your waist?

And since the GSW post was directed here, I took 2 TK-4s and a SOF-T with me to the WFR course. The TK 4s were very versatile from use as a compression bandage, splint wrap, immobilizing the head on a stretcher, etc. I was very impressed with it's versatility especially for its size. I do struggle putting it on one handed as a tourniquet though. Any tips?

Spence

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    On the non-professional side...

One thing I was completely clueless about before buying a bunch of gear was the shear size of some of this stuff. The biggest offender in terms of size is the compression bandages. Oales, Israeli, whatever, they take up a LOT of space. Go with a 6"' (that most seem to prefer) and it's even harder to store. One of the things I'm working on for my site is some pictures of all these things to show the relative sizes so that people have an idea what to expect. Pretty much all my plans went out the window once I had some of these things in hand.

Something else I had started working on and lost track of was comparing a lot of known IFAK and the like, from the USMC to the Army to other commercially packed kits like the BFG TKN.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

One thing I was completely clueless about before buying a bunch of gear was the shear size of some of this stuff. The biggest offender in terms of size is the compression bandages. Oales, Israeli, whatever, they take up a LOT of space. Go with a 6"' (that most seem to prefer) and it's even harder to store. One of the things I'm working on for my site is some pictures of all these things to show the relative sizes so that people have an idea what to expect. Pretty much all my plans went out the window once I had some of these things in hand.

Something else I had started working on and lost track of was comparing a lot of known IFAK and the like, from the USMC to the Army to other commercially packed kits like the BFG TKN.

I carry a few 4" bandages (Izzy or OALES) and only 1 or 2 bigger (6") bandages. The stuff is bulky though...pretty much all medical supplies except drugs are.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

This is a topic we spend a fair amount of time and energy with through working with our clients and students. The truth is this stuff does get bulky and a if you are trying to put together a truly across the board IFAK some concessions need to be made.

Its a matter of your skills/ knowledge/ mission and relative access to the next level of care in a timely fashion.

If access to a higher level of care is not in short order and you may need to care for your self longer you will need more stuff.

Its a balancing act and there is not a definitive equation.

I struggle with this personally beyond my professional endeavor. As a Paramedic (20+years) and Tactical Medic on SRT (8+years) I still haven't figured out what is "BEST" and certainly for "every" mission.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    This why I ended up mounting my OSOE Tear Off on third line gear as it became to bulky for my preference on my rig. I opted for a HSGI Bleeder Pouch and a TK Carrier for the low pro. Everything is still work in progress.
    sniperbusch

Feedback Score

Making compromises in First-Aid supplies and kits...

Short of driving an ambulance everywhere you go, you are going to have to make some compromises. I've been fairly please with the Tactical Medical Packs since they are vacuum packed and easily slide into a BDU/ACU pocket or into and existing first-aid kit.

I'm no expert, but I had a post on my blog about this topic last month if any one is interested:

http://godgalsgunsgrub.blogspot.com/...with-guns.html

Dann in Ohio

Feedback Score
    I am working with a couple of sources right now to put out a "boo-boo bag"

It is designed to augment an IFAK/BOK and give you a lot of the smaller stuff and snivel kit. The list has been put together from the input of several people and the contents fit in a very compact little bag.

Here is the rundown:
    Duct Tape
    Q-Tips
    Tweezers
    finger scalpel
    1 X 3 adhesive bandages
    large adhesive bandages
    knuckle bandages
    Steri-Strips
    Aspirin
    Acetaminophen
    Ibuprophen