Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for torture Test on the SR556

Feedback Score

Looking for torture Test on the SR556

Do you guys have any links for any torture testing of the Ruger SR556?
    I seen a lot of favorable reporting but no real torture testing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine85 View Post
    Do you guys have any links for any torture testing of the Ruger SR556?
    I seen a lot of favorable reporting but no real torture testing.

I believe that this report is waaaaaaaaay to early since it was just released. Maybe in a few months.
    God Bless and good shootin'!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just bought one (SR-556) last Friday, I plan to run a few Magazines throuh it this Thursday, Definatley not a torture test, but I'll do what I can to put it through it's paces. I'll report back with my first impressions.
    Last edited by snellkid; 06-21-09 at 15:19.

Feedback Score
    I handled one yesterday. It was $1799 I think. Does anyone know what RE it comes with? Commercial or correct?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
    I handled one yesterday. It was $1799 I think. Does anyone know what RE it comes with? Commercial or correct?
    According to the Ruger rep I talked with at the NRA convention (Phoenix), it has a "correct" RE. Ruger also states this on their website...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It's a 'mil-spec' sized receiver extension.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    "Torture testing" by an uninformed peon is useless.
    I am much more interested in what gotm4 says after his use of the gun.
    Don't be distracted from the real issues by shiny distractions.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Thats simply wrong.

A review is a review and requires some knowledge.

A torture test is something else. I'm not saying they are all the same. But as long as the conditions are documented (slow fire vs 100 rd beta mag dumps) then 10,000 rounds is 10,000 rounds.

Even if its done by an "uninformed peon" like myself.

Don

p.s. Months ago I asked for any high volume LMP piston users to share their experiences. I've not gotten anything substantial.
    Last edited by dcmdon; 06-21-09 at 21:15.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
    Thats simply wrong.

A review is a review and requires some knowledge.

A torture test is something else. I'm not saying they are all the same. But as long as the conditions are documented (slow fire vs 100 rd beta mag dumps) then 10,000 rounds is 10,000 rounds.

Even if its done by an "uninformed peon" like myself.
    I was not referring to the members here as "uninformed peons", but rather was talking about the various gunwriters that conduct "torture" testing by going to a range and burning magazine after magazine with a sample of 1.

Sitting down at a bench and putting a few thousand rounds through a gun does nothing but prove that the gun will fire X number of rounds under Y condition.

The pertinent information is how the gun handles and performs compared to other similar platforms being pushed to their caipability. If something like a trigger spring breaks it is a simple part to replace and not necessarily indicative of a failure of the system, but rather poor small part selection, and could not necessarily be considered to be a consistent failure point simply due to sample size. Should a major part, such as a proprietary piston warp or break, it could be indicative of an issue with material, heat-treat, or workmanship, but would be an issue with that individual gun only, though it could indicate a fundamental flaw of the system. Infortunately, with a sample of 1 it is not possible to really say where the problem lies.

How a gun handles, ergonomics, rail dimensions, clean-up, disassembly/assembly, compatability with aftermarket items, and consistency can be determined and evaluated by a knowledgable and experienced shooter, and to me is much more relevant than proving something that will be seen within a few months of the product being on the market with a much greater sample size at play.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 06-22-09 at 19:29. Reason: fundamental flaw
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The other gripe I have with so-called torture tests is no one ever runs a control.

Running such an experiment in the Scientific world without a control would get you laughed-at.

I always find it astounding when a reviewer proclaims product Y is better than old standby product X, yet does not bother to run product X thru the same testing procedure.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast