Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for torture Test on the SR556

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Looking for torture Test on the SR556

Do you guys have any links for any torture testing of the Ruger SR556?
    I seen a lot of favorable reporting but no real torture testing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine85 View Post
    Do you guys have any links for any torture testing of the Ruger SR556?
    I seen a lot of favorable reporting but no real torture testing.

I believe that this report is waaaaaaaaay to early since it was just released. Maybe in a few months.
    God Bless and good shootin'!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just bought one (SR-556) last Friday, I plan to run a few Magazines throuh it this Thursday, Definatley not a torture test, but I'll do what I can to put it through it's paces. I'll report back with my first impressions.
    Last edited by snellkid; 06-21-09 at 15:19.

Feedback Score
    I handled one yesterday. It was $1799 I think. Does anyone know what RE it comes with? Commercial or correct?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
    I handled one yesterday. It was $1799 I think. Does anyone know what RE it comes with? Commercial or correct?
    According to the Ruger rep I talked with at the NRA convention (Phoenix), it has a "correct" RE. Ruger also states this on their website...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It's a 'mil-spec' sized receiver extension.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I'm referring more to a dirt and sand type test. A round count goes without saying but I'm curious to see if the SR556 can run like an AK. You can put 1000-2000 round though an AR15 wthout problems until you add the dirt factor.

Feedback Score
    thats a good point. I actually would be more interested if the sand was the fine desert type sand.

I see videos of people burrying an AR in big clumpy dirt and coarse beach sand. Truly useful would be to see how it works after being exposed to the sand they have over in the middle east. fine powdery sand that supposedly gets into everything.

Don

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
    Again, I don't see what the proficiency of the shooter or his level of intimacy with his rifle has to do with the results of a like this. As long as the test is properly documented.
    Not to speak for F2S, but I can certainly see where the shooter's knowledge and proficiency plays a role especially if he's evaluating more than just "x-rounds before failure."

Any bozo can say, "I shoot my Ruger SR556 as well as my M4." That's because the bozo probably shoots them both equally poorly (to paraphrase from our own R Moran). Take someone like F2S or gotm4 and let him put 1,000 rounds through the gun and you'll get a much more detailed, dependable, expert assessment of how the gun works both mechanically and from a rounds-on-target standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
    I see videos of people burrying an AR in big clumpy dirt and coarse beach sand. Truly useful would be to see how it works after being exposed to the sand they have over in the middle east. fine powdery sand that supposedly gets into everything.
    Do you foresee taking a SR556 to the Middle East? If not, I'd suggest that evaluating how the gun will work under actual conditions it may encounter is far more important than evaluating how it works in an environment it will never be in.

Feedback Score
    todd,

we were specifically speaking of torture testing. I stated in my first reply that skill and knowledge is relevant in a review of a firearm, but pointless above a very basic level when all you are doing is squeezing the trigger and documenting what happens.

I don't plan to take my ARs anywhere other than where I need to go. That sounds pointless, but I'll never be in the middle east.

My ARs live a simple life. They may get shot, but they get a basic cleaning every time they go out, along with a good dose of oil.

With that said. 90% of the people who post on this site would probably be well served by an Oly AR. More accurate than most but not considered top tier.

But yet many people spend for a Colt or a LMT or a Noveski. Why? I don't know. Pride of ownership is certainly a factor.

Even though I will never dump 3 beta mags in a row through my gun, its nice to know if it will survive. And if it fails, I'd like to know where.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast