Thread: AK-104 Gas Block/Front Sight Combo vs AK-103K Front End Advantages?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

AK-104 Gas Block/Front Sight Combo vs AK-103K Front End Advantages?

Hi everyone,

I have a couple AK's that I have been planning to have the barrels shortened on. Ive been delaying this project over and over again; most likely it will still be a little time before I make a move.

First off these won't be SBR'd, but instead will have flash hiders pinned until I can legally have them SBR'd.

I wanted to know what peoples' first hand experiences were with shortened AK's that featured the traditional AK-104 Gas Block/Front Sight Combo (SLR-107CR, Bolton Gas Block, etc.) vs the AK-103K (Standard AKM Front Sight pushed all the way back to the OEM Gas Block. Seen on Krebs Saiga Conversions).

I did have a Definitive Arms AK103U that had the AK-103K style front end that I let go due to just "thinning out the herd" of AK's combined with the fact I did not want a muzzle break pinned to the front. With these rifles I'll be able to just get the flash hider on from the beginning. I did like the compactness and weight savings of the shorter configuration though.

I do not have any experience with the SLR-107CR styled front ends. So is there anything to gain with the 104 style gas block? Is the weight savings a noticeable jump from the AK-103K front end?

Not only that, but from a gun smithing perspective is there any advantage to leaving the standard gas block in place? I'm assuming when pushing the front sight post back that the standard gas block remains untouched? Does replacing the gas block have any affect on the integrity of the barrel, gas block, and rest of the components?

This would be performed by a competent gunsmith; not by me.

Now I do happen to have two of the older Krebs Custom AK-104 Gas Block/Front Sight Combos that I picked up a long time ago. So the part about dropping an extra $100+ on the gas blocks is not of concern here. However, looking at how much the gas blocks sell for now I could let them go and have a case of ammo or the work for the front end mostly paid for.

Thanks for any advice

Feedback Score
    If you are going to SBR - spend the money and get an integrated one. For non-SBR it's better to go K setup. I've had both, and like them both.

Some points to consider:
    The integrated gas blocks need a different sight adjuster than normal FSB's.
    Dropping one of the two does decrease front end weight - a problem on most AK's.
    Bulgarian blocks won't work on Russian rifles and Russian blocks won't work on Bulgarian rifles - without other work as the gas port locations are different.

If you are going to get integrated however, stick to proven blocks like an original over a Bolton. The Bolton ones had really bad problems moving around until they started bolting AND pinning them. It's still not a risk I would take. The Krebs ones are interesting because they are press fit like the originals, but are "upgraded." I wouldn't turn down an original Krebs.

For me it comes down to SBR or not. For SBR it's worth the hassle to cut down another inch of barrel, but for non-SBR it's not worth it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I only have experience with the integrated gas block/front sight, having SBR'd an SGL31-94 to create an AK-105ish clone. I used a Bulgarian block I obtained from K-VAR and a Russian style booster made some time ago by AK-USA. The booster was designed specifically for this combination to index with the Bulgarian gas block. It was a simple conversion, after removing the original front sight and gas block, the Bulgarian gas block only required being pressed on, indexed, and drill for and install a new pin. Runs like a champ.

They are the "perfect" size AK, which becomes readily apparent when handled side by side with my stock SGL31-94.

Here it is after the gas block install and before the barrel chop. Thats a shroud covering a 16" barrel, sorry, I don't have any SBR pics handy...

Last edited by BBossman; 11-25-15 at 08:29.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Thank you this is exactly the info I needed to know.

96 SS, when you say "For me it comes down to SBR or not. For SBR it's worth the hassle to cut down another inch of barrel, but for non-SBR it's not worth it." are you implying that going the "K" route is not worth it altogether? Or it's just not worth going the "104" route without SBRing?

I know that with the 104 front end you are given more barrel length to work with in regards to chopping and threading.

Thank you both again.

Feedback Score
    Even though I agree with BBossman that the AK carbine length is ideal - it's just too much hassle to get to that in a non-SBR. You have to add a permed non-standard muzzle device to get back to 16" - and the options for those are not great at the moment. Going with a K allows you to pin a standard muzzle device (mine uses a Surefire SOCOM FH) and still be at 16" - AND you get about 1-1.5" extra sight radius. My guess is that the weight differences are minimal, with the K being probably slightly lighter as you don't need such a heavy extended muzzle device. SBR - and I would go as short as you can because even a 104 style is not much shorter than 16" when you add a muzzle device.

But I never weighed my 105 clone before selling it. Here is my Krebs AKS-74KN:

And 105 clone for reference:

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Plum side folder? Start talkin...

Quote Originally Posted by 96 SS View Post
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    I made my first one - before you could get them from KVAR. Come to think of it I think I had the first plum folder in the US. Rit Dye - but now just get it from KVAR

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Damn... I've haven't been paying enough attention to the AK world over the last couple years, had no idea. Off to KVAR...

Quote Originally Posted by 96 SS View Post
    I made my first one - before you could get them from KVAR. Come to think of it I think I had the first plum folder in the US. Rit Dye - but now just get it from KVAR