Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
What's up with the DSA A2 type sights? Unnecessary? They seem a bit better protected from knuckle-draggery than the standard type, but unless they are definately more robust, does it even matter? I have been using A2 sights for a long time and I am proficient with them, but I am not really stuck on them if it means more hassle or unnecessary compromise.
IMO a very good upgrade and certainly robust. Be forewarned - early models of this sight had an issue where they leaned too far back and/or forward. Supposedly they quickly fixed this.

What is the preferred mounting method for optics? Seems like the T-1/H-1 would be fine with the included mount or the M3 (cuz I got one) in the low Aimpoint mount. Does the stock height in relation to the rail make mounting low-powered variables marginal in relation to cheek-weld?
DSA heavy duty mount is GTG. I seem to remember seeing LAV with a Short Dot on this mount.

I tend to prefer the feel of a solid stock better than wire side-folder, so I kinda lean toward that. I do have an affinity for M4 type adjustable stocks, but I would rather start out with the "stock" stock before modifying anything.
Para stock is a pretty damn good folder, and has good sling attachment options.

What are the problem parts? What would be prudent to have extras of? What kind of life-cycle/replacement schedule do parts have? Will there be any compatability issue with DSA and other metric FAL suppliers? Are there any specific tools that are required for maintenance/repair?
I can't speak too intelligently to this, other than to say if you have a fixed stock you need the buttstock tool. Sight adjustment is with a simple cheap tool, I believe the SKS tool works as well.

What simple upgrades improve the system? Mag release upgrade/improvement, grip, furniture, etc? Are they simple things or will they require smithing?
The extended shelf selector/safety is an absolutely outstanding upgrade - unfortunately I'm not sure how durable this part is. It is "drop in" otherwise. The Poly hand guards are much nicer than the sheet metal ones.

What's up with mags? Any particularly good or bad ones? Are the 30s more of a hassle than their extra bullets are worth? I see how much larger they are, but do they work? I assume that they are sub-optimal, so I am thinking that I will stick with the 20s and 5s (should I ever feel the need to schwack a deer with it) unless there are good higher cap options.
Standard metric FAL mags are cheap and GTG - I would generally avoid 30's due to reliability and bulk.

What are you doing for sling attachment, specifically a VCAS?
The poly HG's can be easily modified with a drill and conventional swivel or with a strategically placed piece of rail.

The two that DSA offer that most pique my interest are the SA58 Spartan and Carbine, 16" or 18". The Spartan is significantly more expensive but the product details are lacking and I really don't know enough past the obvious (sights, grip, NP3, duracoat, +2 mags) to tell the difference or value gap.
If I were to recommend just one for serious purposes it would be the SA58 FAL Carbine PARA.