Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    The "Inch" or "Commonwealth" pattern rifles have better ergonomics than the metric rifles; the selector is larger and easier to use, the cocking handle folds flat against the receiver, and the magazine release is larger and easier to hit.

Having said that, DSA will sell you an Inch style selector for the metric rifles, and you can also get a folding cocking handle for a metric rifle as well.

It really depends on what you're looking for in the rifle. The metric rifles have so many spare parts and accessories on the market for them that the Inch pattern rifles are generally relegated to a "fun" rifle, something to have because you want it. They are very serviceable, but there is a lack of spare parts and accessories for them.
    While the above is accurate, I do suggest you try Inch vs. Metric if possible before you buy. I like inch selectors, but I can't stand the inch furniture. The Metric fits me better, to the point that I don't even shoot my Inch patterns anymore, except the heavy barrel.
    As to receivers, I have 17 FAL's, with builds on Imbel, Century, DSA, and old Entreprise. All work flawlessly, but thats due to the quality of the build.

Davesrb

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Below are two FAL's, one Inch, the other Metric, that are from my collection. Both are close clones of classic rifles that would have seen service from the mid 1960's on.

Commonwealth L1A1, British Pattern. The receiver is an early Entreprise that has been massaged to work well, and the parts are British surplus. The Entreprise receivers have the lightening cuts of the Australian L1A1, but that's a cosmetic difference.

Brit troops in Northern Ireland during the Troubles:

Rhodesian R1. This is the basic pattern that Rhodesia and South Africa adopted. The base rifle is a DSA StG-58A, which is built on a new DSA metric receiver with a pristine Austrian StG-58 parts kit. The handguard is a true veteran of the African bush wars.

Rhodesian cavalry trooper:

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Nice pictures! That shows the differences well. The grip angle and pistol grip shape are slightly different and the length and shape of the buttstock are as well. Many people love the Inch pattern, but I much prefer the metric.

My favorite variant, G1's early and late versions:

My favorite range guns!

Davesrb

Feedback Score

Probably a stupid question but...

is Enterprise Arms still in business? Their website hasn't been updated since '07 and most of the links are dead. Are they OOB or have they just moved? Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

[/QUOTE]

They were called the Grey Scouts. I worked with a former Grey Scout for awhile and he told me their motto was

" A second class ride is better than a first class walk"

They used Bushman trackers on the ground in a v-formation out in front and when they made contact they would dismount (Bushman would hit the weeds & later collect the horses) and the Grey Scouts would fight on foot.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post

They were called the Grey Scouts. I worked with a former Grey Scout for awhile and he told me their motto was

" A second class ride is better than a first class walk"

They used Bushman trackers on the ground in a v-formation out in front and when they made contact they would dismount (Bushman would hit the weeds & later collect the horses) and the Grey Scouts would fight on foot.[/QUOTE]

Good stuff !

I learned Combat Tracking from one of the best alive today David Scott Donelan.

A Selous Scout / Grey Scout and a living plethora of knowledge on Tracking, SPOOR and Ambushing a Quarry...

Giving credit where credit is due...
    Last edited by VooDoo6Actual; 12-31-09 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    DSA SA58 Carbine
    DSA Rail Interface Handguard, Tango Down VG and rail panels
    DSA Extreme Duty Scope Mount modified for ACOG
    Trijicon ACOG TA11C Red Donut calibrated for .308
    Para BUIS (sights visible through channel under ACOG)
    DSA M249 SAW Pistol Grip

That sir, is a rifle!!

Feedback Score
    The FAL is a very ergonomic rifle. Keep in mind that allot of the guns out there are kit guns built by god knows who !! If You run a DSA new rifle or a well built kit gun by a reputable smith, shouldn't have any problems. Keep in mind all magazines are surplus new at best, new in wrap but over 40 years old. Any mags purchased have to be cleaned and proofed in gun. Keep recoil assy clean and lightly oiled, bolt and carrier greased. These are all little things that make reliability issues, ask me I learned the hard way !! My kit gun is reliable but I had to do some tweaking and sort out bad mags ( I got 20 mags with kit !!) I only have 12 mags I would trust my life too !!
    Summarize:
    1) Factory gun or reputable smith
    2) Mags are the fals weak link keep them pristine
    3) Just like any other gun, clean/lube properly

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I Judy modified a inch mag release by drilling it out with a 3mm bit to fit my metric rifle. If I can move the mountain of barrels blocking the safe I'll try to get it installed and tested.

Pic's of the Inch release:

Last edited by DMR; 10-18-10 at 20:25.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Question for guys running STG-58 stocks with optics.

Do you find the optic still sits too high?

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast