Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    18'' BBL is without a doubt the best compromise on a metric FAL.

With inch FAL's it doesn't matter much, they shoulder like a dream with a 21 inch barrel. The commonwealth FAL's are really well put together, QC is always excellent on the components.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    One thing that I didn't see mentioned for FAL novices is the fact that the upper is the serial numbered part on these guns vs the lower on AR's.

This is my DSA SA58C with a 1.5-4.5x22 Weaver on a DSA cover/mount with Aimpoint 30mm mounts:

Feedback Score
    I still have an Imbel gear logo'd receiver around somewhere.

With the parts/kits availability and price, is it not very feasible to put one together from a receiver?

I've been hesistant about building it up because of the LOP. What's the shortest you can go with a fixed synthetic stock minus the rubber butt-plate?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    I still have an Imbel gear logo'd receiver around somewhere.

With the parts/kits availability and price, is it not very feasible to put one together from a receiver?

I've been hesistant about building it up because of the LOP. What's the shortest you can go with a fixed synthetic stock minus the rubber butt-plate?
    That's the thing, I've never seen anyone come up with an alternative for a synthetic fixed stock, they all have the rubber butt pad.

The wooden ones use a steel buttplate.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post

I have an Armscorp receivered Para, it's a well made receiver, they're just expensive.

Mark Graham is a hell of a good FAL smith. So are Rich at Century Gun Works and Derek at Azex.

Tel. #'s for the above smith's ? Who has the shortest turn around time?

Again, if you're still behind the lines in an AWB state, you're best option if you want all the "evil" goodies would be to find yourself a Springfield Armory SAR-48.
    I just purchased the above rifle, an unfired Pre Ban Armscorp T 48. Now for the
    "mods". Where can I purchase the side folding stock shown in the photo ?

Your thoughts on the Adj. LOP DSA Para stock ?

Other ideas:

DSA scope mount

M249 Grip

Dutch Style mag release

18" barrel installed

DSA extended selector

Does that round out the list?

Many thanks for your help and everyone else's.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    18'' barrels are the best length.

FN made saw grips are the best grip, bar none. I wouldn't bother with the tapco stuff, get a real FN grip from DSA. You can get the folders from DSA also.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm falling back into my pursuit of a .308 again. What's keeping me from following through is the fear of recoil in light of a bum shoulder. I've read a number of times that the recoil of the FAL is the most manageable of the big three (M14/M1A, HK 91, FAL).

How would the recoil compare to a my 870P, which I can tolerate reasonably well due to the surprisingly nice recoil pad?

Is there a significant difference in terms of felt recoil between the Para and standard stocks?
    Last edited by RyanS; 07-09-09 at 16:56. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Re/Recoil.....

The Para typically has more felt recoil than a fixed stock, mainly because there is no drop to the stock, it's straight back to you.

If you want to compare the recoil of a FAL to a Remington 870P.....

Compared to full power buckshot or slug loads, far less recoil. Compared to reduced recoil LE buckshot or slug loads, a bit less. Compared to dove loads, there's a bit more recoil, but not much.

Recoil is such a subjective thing though....the FAL, especially with 18"~21" barrels allow you to play with the gas system a bit and get a good compromise between reliablity and recoil. You can bleed more gas with the longer barrels and still have a very reliable rifle. The shorter the barrels, the less you can afford to bleed and maintain reliablity. Also, the longer barrels will tend to have less felt recoil and less muzzle rise.

C_Z, you need an entire Para lower receiver if you bought a FAL with a fixed stock, as well as a Para bolt carrier, recoil spring set up, and dust cover. DSA sells what you need to convert a fixed stock FAL to a Para.

I can't comment on the adjustable LOP Para stocks, I've not used them.

DSA's scope mount would be my choice, and the real FN M249 grip for a replacement of the standard FAL grip.

The DSA extended selector is definitely something I'd put on a serious use FAL.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by TOrrock; 07-09-09 at 17:22.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A "torture test" to check reliability using a DSA FAL for a 9 hour 10,000 round test. The reviewers were very impressed with the durability and reliability. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_87564352/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks Templar. That being the case I think that I see a FAL in my near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Re/Recoil.....

The Para typically has more felt recoil than a fixed stock, mainly because there is no drop to the stock, it's straight back to you.

If you want to compare the recoil of a FAL to a Remington 870P.....

Compared to full power buckshot or slug loads, far less recoil. Compared to reduced recoil LE buckshot or slug loads, a bit less. Compared to dove loads, there's a bit more recoil, but not much.

Recoil is such a subjective thing though....the FAL, especially with 18"~21" barrels allow you to play with the gas system a bit and get a good compromise between reliablity and recoil. You can bleed more gas with the longer barrels and still have a very reliable rifle. The shorter the barrels, the less you can afford to bleed and maintain reliablity. Also, the longer barrels will tend to have less felt recoil and less muzzle rise.
    Last edited by RyanS; 07-10-09 at 09:11.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast