Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    Question for guys running STG-58 stocks with optics.

Do you find the optic still sits too high?
    Oh yeah.

You really need to build up a good cheek piece and there are several after-market options.

Simultaneously you need to get the lowest rings you can, on a standard variable mag scope like a 3-9x42 that still means at least "high" rings. So to get any lower you're going to have to go with smaller glass...say 1-4x20ish even still I don't think it's going to get that much better.

I decided to embrace the short-comings and mostly use an ACOG 3x30 which is a fabulous optic for a FAL. The TA51 mount is the lowest Trij makes and can be used on the compact model as well (only attach one screw). It's for the standard ACOG chassis instead of TA60 which is what you find on compact models (1.5-3x) which are meant for an AR and way too high for the FAL.

If you haven't bought a mount yet and you're looking at an ACOG the DSA ACOG Heavy Duty Mount is what I would buy.

There isn't an ideal solution. It's going to require some compromise in your technique/setup. I don't get anywhere near the cheek weld I'd like, but all in all it shoots damn well.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I posted this back on page four or five.

Custom ARMS mount made by PRI. I called and talked to them about what I needed and sent them my T-1. I just can't string together the time to do more with it. Mounts Plus owns the rights to market the ARMS mounts so if enough folks call Mounts Plus they might be able to do a run, maybe Grant could pull off a group buy.

Beat them up a SHOT, I plan on making a stop myself.

I have the Inch mag release in my Metric rifle now. I wanted a more positive release, the G-1 model was to small for my taste and being a lefty it was harder to release. The inch release allows me to release the mag with the index of my left trigger finger. I hope to function test fire it before SHOT, but doubt right now that will happen. Based on the measurements it should work with no issues though. Not sure if I like the bolt release now, I'm going to have to get a Inch release to compare and see if I can access it better.
    Last edited by DMR; 01-10-10 at 21:35.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score

I used to run the Israeli mag release, but I like the FSE mag release much better.

Feedback Score
    Old style US Optics SN-4 scope, 1-4 power, 308 BDC dial, circle dot reticle, low mounted in Leupold QD rings. Compact and handy.

Last edited by Exodus; 06-13-11 at 00:31.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post

The DSA rifles use Badger barrels that aren't hard chrome lined. FN would make whatever the end user wanted when they were producing FAL's, some countries did not use chrome lined barrels and they worked fine.
    What would the barrel life expectancy be with the typical non-chromelined barrel?

Also, would you consider the current DSA SA58C coming out of DSA to be a "go to" gun for any unpleasantness or more of a hobbiest gun?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
    What would the barrel life expectancy be with the typical non-chromelined barrel?

Also, would you consider the current DSA SA58C coming out of DSA to be a "go to" gun for any unpleasantness or more of a hobbiest gun?

I'd say it's a serious use gun, and I'd be amazed if an American civilian wore out a barrel quickly on a non chromed FAL. Take a look at how many rounds it took to wear out a M1 Garand barrel past serviceability.....
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    when did DSA start using new US made barrels?

T

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    when did DSA start using new US made barrels?

T
    On their SA58's, from the beginning. On their STG58's, for the past couple years.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    On their SA58's, from the beginning. On their STG58's, for the past couple years.
    Has anyone noticed an increase in accuracy with the new non-chrome lined barrels? Plus would you get a standard or med-weight barrel? What is the 18"?
    Secondly, is the only difference from SA and STG the aluminum lower or steel lower?? Why is the SA so much more coin? Sorry for all the Q's

T
    Last edited by tat2; 03-19-10 at 02:22.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    Has anyone noticed an increase in accuracy with the new non-chrome lined barrels? Plus would you get a standard or med-weight barrel? What is the 18"?
    Secondly, is the only difference from SA and STG the aluminum lower or steel lower?? Why is the SA so much more coin? Sorry for all the Q's

T
    The original Steyr StG-58 barrels weren't chromed either. Some countries did chrome, some didn't.

Comparing accuracy on a used Steyr barrel vs. a new US barrel would totally depend on the condition of the Steyr barrel.

Take another look through the thread and you'll see the rundown on the differences between SA-58's and STG-58's from DSA.

I'd wave off of a med weight barrel unless you're just looking for something to bench.

What are you looking to do with the rifle?

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast