Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was amazed how controllable the DSA Para is. I'm a longtime AR and AK guy but only recently got into the FAL thanks to Templar. Splits might not be as fast as the AR but the energy that .308 has is amazing. Unfortunately, I dimpled an AR550 target with one shot of Malaysian FMJ surplus at 75 yards.

Now if I can just get that case of Spanish surplus opened I could see how it does

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    The original Steyr StG-58 barrels weren't chromed either. Some countries did chrome, some didn't.

Comparing accuracy on a used Steyr barrel vs. a new US barrel would totally depend on the condition of the Steyr barrel.

Take another look through the thread and you'll see the rundown on the differences between SA-58's and STG-58's from DSA.

I'd wave off of a med weight barrel unless you're just looking for something to bench.

What are you looking to do with the rifle?
    I will take another look through the thread. I just thought the med. weight
    would be more accurate. I really think I want one for the same reason I have
    an M1A/M14.... its a great piece of history. I would probably choose something else for anything serious. I want a classic FAL example to shoot
    milk jugs with and plink for history day at the range. I would lean toward the 18" SA58 since it is lighter and more compact.
    Last edited by tat2; 03-19-10 at 14:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    .....if you're looking for a serious use carbine... For a full length rifle just to have as an example of the system and for the pleasure of shooting....
    Old thread, but this post seems to imply that the only 2 applications for the FAL are 1) serious use carbine and 2) range gun, example...

For me the FAL truly shines as a serious use rifle. The carbine is nice, but as pointed out you have to run it a little rougher- and the lighter and shorter it is, the more of a beast it becomes.

Elegance in design comes from balance... and the short FAL is packing a little too much punch in that form factor. Awesome yes, but easily bested in that role by just about anything firing an intermediate. Personally, I've sort of grown out of my carbine a bit. I compare it to when I used to want the hoppiest hop-tastic beer... eventually your taste matures and you see the beauty and efficiency of a balanced system.

As a full size Battle Rifle, I consider it to have been tops in it's day... and obviously it's not going to hang bang for bang with "Leonidas" or any AR type... but it certainly has it's place.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Anybody have a sling recommendation? I have a 2 point padded Troy and it's a lil awkward how it keeps twisting on the rear swivel.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    Anybody have a sling recommendation? I have a 2 point padded Troy and it's a lil awkward how it keeps twisting on the rear swivel.
    Get a rear sling adapter, the same one you'd use on a M16A2.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So what is the difference between a Type 1 or 2 uper/lower receiver??

T

Feedback Score
    The receiver differences are pretty easy, the lower differences are a bit more subtle.

Top is type 2, middle type 3, bottom type 1.
    Here are pictures of the lowers, looking back from the hinge pin area.

Type 1 lower

Type 2 lower

Type 3 lower

Davesrb

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow. great visuals. DSA says they offer type 1 or 2. Which is better?

T

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Get a rear sling adapter, the same one you'd use on a M16A2.
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking but was a little worried about how skinny it is
    Last edited by eternal24k; 03-20-10 at 14:22.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The type 1 was the original FAL lower receiver, cut to be as lightweight as possible

Type 2's have a little bit of a different cut which was supposed to help the receiver stay together near the end of its life (like the M16A2's lower rear reinforcement vs the M16A1's). I've never seen any evidence to indicate this helped. The rifles will last 20,000+ rounds, which you will never reach, mainly because in todays market that would be nearly $10,000 worth of ammunition. The turkish G1 kits still had plenty of life left in them, and they rode those like cheap whores.

Finally the Type 3 was produced to save on costs, it has practically no lightening cuts anywhere. The last type 3's made where cast, which were no less durable.

Unless you are building an FAL with a type 2 or type 3 kit, I would just get the DSA type 1. It's lighter. If you have a type 2 or 3 kit the lower receivers match the upper receivers in lightening cuts (or lack there of).

The aluminum lowers are way lighter too. Over half a pound, maybe nearly a pound.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast