Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    Great info guys, sorry to be FAL stupid. So is this AIM rifle type two?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DSASTG58

That's a Type I, notice that the lightening cut goes all the way to the back of the receiver?

I have a DSA StG-58 that I turned into a Rhodie/Sud Afrikan R1 clone, I got it with a T2 receiver.

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    That's a Type I, notice that the lightening cut goes all the way to the back of the receiver?

I have a DSA StG-58 that I turned into a Rhodie/Sud Afrikan R1 clone, I got it with a T2 receiver.

Wow that is a great looking rifle. So would you not get the AIM rifle because it is type 1? I really like the muzzle brake/ FH on your rifle too, can they be switched or is the AIM one permenant?

I just gotta have a FAL and this long 21" barrel just screams "classic" FAL to me.

T

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That R1 started out life as a DSA StG-58A, just like what AIM has in stock but I got mine with the TII receiver because I find them aesthetically pleasing.

There's nothing in the world wrong with the T1 receiver and I've had them before.

The AIM Surplus gun is a really good buy.

You can definitely switch out the flash suppressor, that's what I did on mine.

Took the stupid Austrian steel "handguards" off, replaced the Austrian straight line buttstock with a FN walnut humpback, replaced the handguards with an original R1 set that came out of Africa, and the standard FN short combo muzzle device replaced the Steyr Stoll flash suppressor.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That R1 started out life as a DSA StG-58A, just like what AIM has in stock but I got mine with the TII receiver because I find them aesthetically pleasing.

There's nothing in the world wrong with the T1 receiver and I've had them before.

The AIM Surplus gun is a really good buy.

You can definitely switch out the flash suppressor, that's what I did on mine.

Took the stupid Austrian steel "handguards" off, replaced the Austrian straight line buttstock with a FN walnut humpback, replaced the handguards with an original R1 set that came out of Africa, and the standard FN short combo muzzle device replaced the Steyr Stoll flash suppressor.

Thanks again. The AIM gun is a good price, I am just curious why the SA 58 is so much more. I know the receiver is Aluminum on the SA 58 and way lighter, but is it a better barrel or something? Is it better to buy once and cry once with the more expensive SA 58 or just get a STG 58?

And frankly I am just going to shoot it at the range for the history/ fun of it.

T

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Thanks again. The AIM gun is a good price, I am just curious why the SA 58 is so much more. I know the receiver is Aluminum on the SA 58 and way lighter, but is it a better barrel or something? Is it better to buy once and cry once with the more expensive SA 58 or just get a STG 58?

And frankly I am just going to shoot it at the range for the history/ fun of it.

T
    They're more expensive because they use new parts. They're new rifles with wholly new U.S. parts.

The Stg uses parts kits that were used in foreign armies and imported. They were then rebuilt using proper compliance parts and refinished on a new receiver.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 03-21-10 at 19:52.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    replaced the Austrian straight line buttstock with a FN walnut humpback,
    So I'm guessing those buttstocks aren't easy to find?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    They're more expensive because they use new parts. They're new rifles with wholly new U.S. parts.

The Stg uses parts kits that were used in foreign armies and imported. They were then rebuilt using proper compliance parts and refinished on a new receiver.
    Hey Gutshot thanks, that would make sense then. I assume they both have brand new barrels? Plus the SA 58 does not say "new us barrel" like the STG?
    So is it a better foreign made new barrel or just an oversight on the website?

T

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Hey Gutshot thanks, that would make sense then. I assume they both have brand new barrels? Plus the SA 58 does not say "new us barrel" like the STG?

T
    The barrels on both guns should be the same US manufacturer and are both new. I couldn't tell you 100% if they're identical but I presume they're the same.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

T
    http://www.dsarms.com/SA58_FAL-Rifles/departments/8/

http://www.dsarms.com/STG58-Austrian-FAL/products/9/

I'm pretty sure we covered this in one of the first pages here, but here it goes.

The SA-58 and StG-58A both use brand new US receivers, which are identicle in markings. The StG-58A are built using parts kits from surplus StG-58 FAL's from Austria, which were either contract from FN or licensed production from Steyr. That means used bolts, bolt carriers, lower receivers, handguards, bipods, sights, gas systems, etc.

Most of those surplus rifles that got turned into parts kits were in excellent to like new condition.

They ran out of kits with good barrels, which is why they have now started using newly made US barrels as well.

The SA-58 uses a minimum of foreign parts and none of them were used. The foreign parts on the SA-58 are the bolt, bolt carrier, gas block and system, sights, fixed synthetic stock. The lower receiver is new, the barrels are Badger premium barrels. All of that costs significantly more than using foreign parts bought for pennies on the dollar.

My StG-58 was one of the last ones that came with a Steyr hammer forged barrel, but the new US barrels should be fine. DSA is a class outfit.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The only truely significant reason is the weight issue....the SA58 Carbines use newly manufactured aluminum lower receivers. The StG-58 use new/surplus FN or Steyr steel lower receivers.

The SA58's use new lowers, new uppers, new gas pistons, new barrels, and the rest of the parts are new/surplus parts from FN or Steyr, like the bolt, bolt carrier, gas block.

The StG-58's are built from parts kits from Austrian service rifles on newly made uppers, with the minimum of new US parts to make 922r.

Some of the StG-58's use excellent condition surplus Steyr barrels, some use newly made US barrels.

My R1 clone started out as a DSA StG-58 that I dressed out. The quality on the StG-58's is outstanding.

Both the DSA SA58's and StG-58's use the same newly made US upper receiver, which is marked SA58.

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast