Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I recieved the VLTOR forend today. I might be screwing something up on the install so I have a note out to VLTOR check it out.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    Pics please!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    I recieved the VLTOR forend today. I might be screwing something up on the install so I have a note out to VLTOR check it out.
    My understanding is that it hooks into the handguard ring so it should be pretty straightforward.

I'm curious about stability and comparing it to DSA's rail.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Looking forward to some progress on the VLTOR forearm.

IMHO, the inch mag release should be on ALL FAL's, right or wrong handed.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    One of the joys of working with rifles made over a long period of time with differant variants arose (or a early adaptor of a product). I had an issue with my G-1 barrel profile vs. a standard FAL profile. The CASV hand guard will not fit over the rear of the barrel preventing the hand guard from properly mounting:

Once I let VLTOR know they quickly reviewed the issue and validated my assessment. It's on it's way back tomorrow. At this time they don't have a fix if you have a G-1 profile barrel

Overall dispite being disappointed with the profile issue it looks like a great product and they are a great company. If I purchase a standard profile FAL in the future, this rail will be on it. I still have another VIS-3AK on my purchase list and will glady purchase from VLTOR again.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Didn't see this anywhere, so I apologize if I missed it, but....

I have been looking at getting a battle rifle of late, and the biggest issue has essentially become weight. According to DS Arms' website, the SA58 Carbine weighs 8.35 lbs with either the 18" or 16" barrel. This is with the aluminum receiver. Is this figure accurate for the 18" barrel model? Is the PARA with an 18" barrel about the same weight?

Thank you!
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 10-28-10 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Didn't see this anywhere, so I apologize if I missed it, but....

I have been looking at getting a battle rifle of late, and the biggest issue has essentially become weight. According to DS Arms' website, the SA58 Carbine weighs 8.35 lbs with either the 18" or 16" barrel. This is with the aluminum receiver. Is this figure accurate for the 18" barrel model? Is the PARA with an 18" barrel about the same weight?

Thank you!

It's pretty close to that. I checked DSA's website and they're not listing the weights of either the 16.5" or the 18" Para carbines, but it's pretty close to the fixed stock carbine.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Yessir, I had checked that.

Glad to know that they're close! This makes it, what, the third lightest not-SBR-not-machine-gun-civilian-purchasable battle rifle behind the SR-25 EM and the SCAR 17S?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    My understanding is that it hooks into the handguard ring so it should be pretty straightforward.

I'm curious about stability and comparing it to DSA's rail.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
    Just happen to have a DSA PARA FAL with a VLTOR handguard on it. The VLTOR is rock solid since it clamps at the rear to the gas nut, and at the front, through the gas block.

As a plus, the VLTOR is not much heavier than the normal plastic handguard, assuming you do not hang the kitchen sink on it.

The only area of the handguard I have found to get warm is the front end by the gas block. With all the venting, there isn't much heat transfer from the barrel.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    http://www.dsarms.com/SA58_FAL-US-Ma...nfo/US061PICP/

When they say alloy are they referring to aluminum? This would make it easy to build a FAL that can co witness irons and optics.
    Last edited by Mr blasty; 01-03-11 at 00:05.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast