Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    I've shot FALs since the 1970s and I prefer them slick with iron sights. If I need a scoped 308 I'll use my LMT MWS

My FNs(oldest on top, the "young" one on bottom):

Retired O-4
    USSOCCENT
    TF KBAR
    TF BOWIE

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Those look great!
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    What's the story on Enterprise FALs?

I did some research and saw that they had some pretty bad reviews dated a few years back.

Are they still a crapshoot or have they cleaned up their act?
    Good judgment comes from experience. And experience… well, that comes from poor judgment.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Renegade View Post
    What's the story on Enterprise FALs?

I did some research and saw that they had some pretty bad reviews dated a few years back.

Are they still a crapshoot or have they cleaned up their act?
    They still suck afaik. Relative to building on an Enterprise receiver they can be made to work if you like beating your head against a wall until unconscious. For a completed rifle, it would depend on how much it's being sold for.

Coonan would be the only non-DSA US manufactured receiver that I would consider that are widely available, even they still have the occasional problem.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 02-15-11 at 12:29.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    hey, I have owned several fal's and I currently own a special run of DSA 16 inch rifle not carbine with folding stock. This DSA is by far the best FAL I have ever owned. I owned a SAR as well, and it was nice. But the DSA seems so much better in overall build quality. I am tempted to get a rail handguard, but not sure I want to upset the clean lines of such a nice weapon. My groups are averaging 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yards with an eotech. Not bad. It is heavy though, but acceptable. No hiccups in over 1000 rounds. It is my plinking gun. My biggest problem has been finding used mags that work well. Many have soft springs from years of use. I just put a 1-4x scope on it. DSA's are definitely good guns. I even shot the high energy 308 federal 180 grain partitions out of it with no issues. Kicked liked hell.

Feedback Score

New to Fal

I'm picking up my first DSA SA58 tactical carbine. Did I do ok on this?
    I flunked math but I can estimate range and calculate elevation and wind drift with the ballistics data in my head.

Feedback Score
    DSA has an "Austrian" FAL STG58, and AIM surplus has an Imbel. Is there a reason to pay a $150 more for the Austrian?
    Last edited by Jwalker; 08-09-11 at 06:39. Reason: Corrected DSA model name.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Not since they ran out of original barrels.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    No, there isn't really a reason to pay more. The Imbel are good barrels. In fact, what use to make the FAL so cheap was the surplus Imbel kits from S. America built on new Imbel recievers.

Feedback Score
    As DSA's 3 Gun shooter for the past 10 years, I've shot the FAL in many configurations in "He Man and Heavy Optics" divisions.

My current competition FAL is very similar to Vicker's preferred setup: 16.25 in barrel and full length gas system, AL lower. Mine does have the "Hampton lower" with an M16A2 sight in the lower receiver and DSA's trigger job. This is a substantially superior sight to that on a stock FAL and a product of DSA's attempt at the SASS trials. The front sight post has been milled down to .050. I also have the DSA float tube and a Triangle Shooting Sports Rolling Thunder comp. I have run the Leupold 1.5-5X MR/T but I think I am going to put a CQBSS on there. I place a pad on the stock to give it more cheekpiece when shooting the optic. And I run a VTAC sling not the Vickers. I also have the pic. rail bolted on the handguard in the 1-2 o'clock position. I find the DSA pic. handguard to be a little heavy.

The DSA FALs that I have shot have been surprisingly accurate with GOOD bullets. My current one is also VERY finicky. It has the stock DSA 16.25 in barrel, nothing fancy. It loves Hornady 155 AMAX and Sierra 150 SMKs shooting them consistently near 1 MOA. It HATES Hornady Steel Match with the 155 HPBT .... hates as in will not even shoot a group (and I've that Steel Match shoot fantastic groups in a JP LRP07 and Larue). One time at Rio, a shooter was complaining about his DSA carbine's accuracy. So I put a scope on it and shot 2 5 shot groups with handloaded Sierra 168s. Both were 3/4 MOA which surprised both myself and the complaintant. So if you have a FAL that does not shoot well, I'd say try a different bullet.

I actually won a few sniper rifle matches with a FAL in the past but all the shooting was inside of 400. While I don't think they will ever been as accurate as the AR10 series, they can be more than accurate enough.

While I have a Para folder and really love the looks of it, the SOCOM buttstock (like on the Spartan series FAL) is a lot more comfortable to shoot.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast