Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    yeah,
    I had a brain fart, I realized after posting that you were talking about STG58 handguards, not implying that the R1 build had steel HGs
    Also I forgot to add that I ditched the ugly US plastic handguards and replaced them with a set of "experienced" handguards, and added a grenade launcher sight gas plug. I'm going for the Rhodesian look, but just can't force myself to paint it with Rhodesian baby poop paint. But the good thing is that there really isn't a wrong way to build a Rhodesian FAL - they existed in such great variety.

Feedback Score
    Still seeing some form of service, at least with private security companies - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17361244

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd1 View Post
    Still seeing some form of service, at least with private security companies - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17361244
    Nice, and no rails, optics, etc. GTG.

Check out this news from Eire as well:

"...As part of the upgrade of the snipers' equipment, a version of the famous FN FAL rifle -- which served as the Irish Army's main rifle from the Sixties to the Eighties before being retired -- is being reintroduced as a rifle for the spotter who accompanies the sniper. . . ." Independent.ie LINK

Another FAL story was recently in the news from Eire, I'll try to find it, but I believe it is related to this. DSA had some involvment if I remember....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    I posted this back on page four or five.

Custom ARMS mount made by PRI. I called and talked to them about what I needed and sent them my T-1. I just can't string together the time to do more with it. Mounts Plus owns the rights to market the ARMS mounts so if enough folks call Mounts Plus they might be able to do a run, maybe Grant could pull off a group buy.
    I very much want to have this done to a standard DSA cover using the new Micro T-1 2moa. I may contact Gunplumber about it. Has anyone done what DMR has done here with a DSA cover? Any updates on how your rig is holding up DMR? Does the DSA cover feature numbered slots? DMR, any recommendations on your positioning of the micro on the rail? Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I think milling down the rails and settling the optic down on a flat, solid foundation would have been a much better way to go... it would be even lower too.

Feedback Score
    From his pictures on page 4 or thereabouts the mount looks low enough, not even lower third, but almost centered.

Feedback Score
    I found out what DMR had done to accommodate the low mount and it did require machining of the mount. I have since found an operation that glues a section of picatinny rail to either an alloy or steel dust cover (called the "Light Tactical Rail" and am able to co-witness a Micro T-1 2MOA, albeit in the bottom 1/4 of the optic's view. I received the steel cover and the mount seems incredibly secure. I will report back after I run it through a class.
    Last edited by O'DubhGhaill; 08-29-12 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Any noticeable change in performance with the 16" barrel over the 18 or 20"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Howdy folks,

I've got a FAL-Para with 21" barrel. It is a 1985 mfg Belgian with match receiver/barrel.

Reading on the accuracy, the results I see reported are typical on average. However, excellent results can be achieved.

My Fal is very ammo picky. It hates Federal 168 gr match. It loves 147gr. NATO surplus. Go figure. Except the German made silver projectiles which don't group as well.

My best results are 1/2" five shot groups at 100yrds with iron sights using British 1970's mfg NATO surplus. And I used to be able to do that consistently. Using the same ammo, I put 4 shots into a soda can, iron sights, at 450yrs. That was a one time deal and I can't shoot that well any longer; but the rifle can. (lousy trigger excepted)

Now when I put on optics, the dynamic changes and I can expect results of closer to 1-1/2 to 2" at 100 yrds- 5 shot groups. I've used two different mounts (leatherwood and DSA-- pretty much the same thing really) and different optics with similar results.

So there you have it, iron sights better than optics for my rifle anyway. Which is too bad as my eyesight is not what it was when I was 20.

But the FAL is capable of very good accuracy... YMMV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by O'DubhGhaill View Post
    I found out what DMR had done to accommodate the low mount and it did require machining of the mount. I have since found an operation that glues a section of picatinny rail to either an alloy or steel dust cover (called the "Light Tactical Rail" and am able to co-witness a Micro T-1 2MOA, albeit in the bottom 1/4 of the optic's view. I received the steel cover and the mount seems incredibly secure. I will report back after I run it through a class.
    Finally got some pics:

Last edited by O'DubhGhaill; 09-28-12 at 15:02.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast