Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Zero View Post
    How do you know if an Imbel receiver, with no date stamp on the mag well, is pre ban or not?

It was originally built as an STG-58. Does include locking shoulder. Price $525.
    Unknown whether it is Metric or Inch.

Thoughts? Thanks.

You mean pre-94? I don't think you can.

Not enough info to help you out man, but the Imbel receivers themselves are bringing $400 or so and a pristine StG-58 kit is $400-$500 or so.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How do you know if an Imbel receiver, with no date stamp on the mag well, is pre ban or not?
    Dosen't really matter. I have a imbel gear logo reciever I bought back in 05, its still made on the OEM FN machinery.

My .02- the FAL is the greatest battle rifle made. Its stupid reliable, tuff as nails, and looks pretty bad ass too. It is NOT a DMR, sniper rifle, or full auto assault rifle. It is not a close in/clear rooms weapon either. Adding all the mall ninja crap does not add much in performance to the platform. A rail up top and a sling are all you really need to relize its full potential. FN got it right from the start, hence the reason there isen't much difference in the versions between 90+ countrys.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    You mean pre-94? I don't think you can.

Not enough info to help you out man, but the Imbel receivers themselves are bringing $400 or so and a pristine StG-58 kit is $400-$500 or so.
    Correct, 14 Sept' 1994, a date which will live in infamy. Is Imbel still in business, so they can do a serial # check?

DSA will not build from a pre ban receiver. Know any FAL smith's who will?

Looking for a Pre Ban FN or Imbel Receiver. Is Armscor any good?

Thanks.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Dude, you're going to be just better off finding a Springfield Armory SAR-48. Factory Imbel imported by Springfield Armory. All are pre-89 import ban rifles.

Or move out of NY......

Armscorp are decent receivers, just very expensive. Imbel is very much in business, although I doubt they would go to the trouble of researching a serial #. How's your Portuguese?
    Last edited by TOrrock; 06-24-09 at 12:31.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Correct, 14 Sept' 1994, a date which will live in infamy. Is Imbel still in business, so they can do a serial # check?

DSA will not build from a pre ban receiver. Know any FAL smith's who will?

Looking for a Pre Ban FN or Imbel Receiver. Is Armscor any good?

Thanks.
    Armscorp is a milled receiver and has a very good reputation, they can be hard to come by. (Armscor is a different company and one that I would avoid even thought they don't make FALs).

$525 for a used Imbel receiver (that may or may not be pre-ban) on its own seems like a "meh" to me. You just like the Type III look? Imbel I think has changed hands a few times since the pre-ban days, I'm not sure whether they'd be able to help.

I'd agree on Templar's T48 Advice if that's the look you want.

As for FAL smiths, you'd be hard pressed to do better than Mark "Gunplumber" Graham. His work is very much in demand so wait times can be a while and he's extremely anal about his work. He charges a very fair price but goes through periods where he doesn't take new work. His METACOL III coating is pretty awesome though I don't like the camouflage patterns.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 06-24-09 at 12:28.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a nice Argy kit that needs a home. Guaranteed (not) to have been at Goose Green in the 80s.

M_P

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    I have a nice Argy kit that needs a home. Guaranteed (not) to have been at Goose Green in the 80s.

M_P

The Argies made great FAL's.....

I have an Armscorp receivered Para, it's a well made receiver, they're just expensive.

Mark Graham is a hell of a good FAL smith. So are Rich at Century Gun Works and Derek at Azex.

Again, if you're still behind the lines in an AWB state, you're best option if you want all the "evil" goodies would be to find yourself a Springfield Armory SAR-48.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Randy Kline of Sledgehammer Arms Works, in Jacksonville TX nowadays, is another outstanding FAL smith. Here's a link to his FALFiles user page.
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/membe...nfo&userid=786
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Guys, awesome.
    Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Here's my writeup of using the FAL at LRI, warts and all.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33271
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast