Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The L1A1 selector regarded as better than the metric.

The rest of the L1A1 is better too. My preference turned decidedly for the inch pattern rifles. The balance itself is outstanding.

They aren't cheap. But you can get one together for less than an import G3, or quality M14.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have pictures depicting the differences between a fixed stock FAL bolt carrier and a folding stock FAL bolt carrier? I also want to see the folding stock FAL recoil spring assembly.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Does anyone have pictures depicting the differences between a fixed stock FAL bolt carrier and a folding stock FAL bolt carrier? I also want to see the folding stock FAL recoil spring assembly.
    http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL%20Squematic%20PDF.pdf
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I have not gotten a chance to try a T-1 on a FAL yet. I know that you can't get a co-witness with a low mounted Comp M2 or M3, but if you use the T-1 as supplied from Aimpoint with that super low mount, you might get a lower 1/3rd, but again, I haven't gotten a chance to try one out.

I might be able to by the end of the week though.....
    Templar, Were you able to get around to this? Ig ot off my duff on the project and should have a mount in in the next few days.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    Templar,

Quick question can you get co-witness, lower 1/3 or otherwise with a low T-1? on the DSA or ARMS mount?

Thanks
    Didn't see this earlier, and while I've not tried specifically, I'd be very skeptical that this would work. I wouldn't say it's impossible, I wouldn't bet money that it would.

Honestly the FAL isn't a CQB weapon, you're better off with a magnified optic to make the most of the FAL's capability.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    Templar,

Quick question can you get co-witness, lower 1/3 or otherwise with a low T-1? on the DSA or ARMS mount?

Thanks
    I cannot get a co-witness with a T1, on my DSA. The sights on a FAL sit too close to the receiver to have a co-witness through any red dot.

Best beat is a red dot on a QD mount for quick removal.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 06-27-09 at 13:45.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Little bit better pic of Larry with his training FAL, a DSA SA-58 Carbine.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    What light mount is that?
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armakraut View Post
    What light mount is that?

Larry installed a piece of 1913 Picatinny rail on the synthetic handguard, and mounted a Surefire G2 in a Vltor light ring.

One of the coolest things he did on his "using" FAL is making a cut on the bolt carrier, like the Norwegians did on their G3's, and HK did to the HK33. If the bolt carrier sticks a bit, you can use your thumb to push the carrier into battery.

Very cleanly done, looks factory (as you'd expect from Larry), and you wonder why the hell the Belgians never thought to do it.

His front sling swivel is actually the rear swivel from a M1903 Springfield that he also cut the handguard to fit.

Really slick set up.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Here's a pic from the same class as above, with Larry's fearless AI showing off a DSA Para with an 18" barrel, DSA mount, and Aimpoint Comp M3.

There's really not that big a difference in overall length between the 16.25" Carbine barrel and the 18" Para barrel, but I still feel that the 18" is the best compromise.

Last edited by TOrrock; 06-30-09 at 23:50.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast