Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about the FAL

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Is there any reason to not go with a STG58 over a SA58 given the significant savings?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
    Is there any reason to not go with a STG58 over a SA58 given the significant savings?

The only truely significant reason is the weight issue....the SA58 Carbines use newly manufactured aluminum lower receivers. The StG-58 use new/surplus FN or Steyr steel lower receivers.

The SA58's use new lowers, new uppers, new gas pistons, new barrels, and the rest of the parts are new/surplus parts from FN or Steyr, like the bolt, bolt carrier, gas block.

The StG-58's are built from parts kits from Austrian service rifles on newly made uppers, with the minimum of new US parts to make 922r.

Some of the StG-58's use excellent condition surplus Steyr barrels, some use newly made US barrels.

My R1 clone started out as a DSA StG-58 that I dressed out. The quality on the StG-58's is outstanding.

Both the DSA SA58's and StG-58's use the same newly made US upper receiver, which is marked SA58.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    The only truely significant reason is the weight issue....the SA58 Carbines use newly manufactured aluminum lower receivers. The StG-58 use new/surplus FN or Steyr steel lower receivers.

The SA58's use new lowers, new uppers, new gas pistons, new barrels, and the rest of the parts are new/surplus parts from FN or Steyr, like the bolt, bolt carrier, gas block.

The StG-58's are built from parts kits from Austrian service rifles on newly made uppers, with the minimum of new US parts to make 922r.

Some of the StG-58's use excellent condition surplus Steyr barrels, some use newly made US barrels.

My R1 clone started out as a DSA StG-58 that I dressed out. The quality on the StG-58's is outstanding.

Both the DSA SA58's and StG-58's use the same newly made US upper receiver, which is marked SA58.
    Templar, thanks for the excellent information on the DSA FAL. The DSA Fal is also on my list of upcoming rifle purchases. You seem very experienced with the platform, my question is how much better handling are the SA58s over the STG 58 FALs due to the aluminum lower receiver? Also is their any difference in durability between the aluminum and steel lower receiver FALs? I would not think there was a difference but I don't have too much knowledge on the FAL platform. I'm looking at either the STG 58 or going for one of the collector series T48 FAL or Congo FAL with the fixed stock. Although I would prefer one of the collector FALs I'm debating if they are really $700 to $800 better than the STG 58s.
    Last edited by crusader377; 07-15-09 at 00:13.

Feedback Score
    Crusader, not meaning to jump in front of Templar, but I have a DSA STG58 carbine that came with the steel lower receiver and I changed it out to the aluminum. It is about one pound difference.
    To me it was a huge improvement in handling characteristics.
    I strongly recommend the aluminum.
    Stay safe.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    LDM nailed it.

On a 16" or 18" FAL carbine, the weight/balance/handling are greatly improved with an aluminum lower. The lower is a very low wear/low stress part.

With a full length (21" barrel) rifle, the balance is probably better with the steel lower.

Really depends on what you want to do with the FAL.....if you're looking for a serious use carbine, an aluminum lower is probably something to look into. For a full length rifle just to have as an example of the system and for the pleasure of shooting....the steel lowers are just fine, and more "correct" if you're looking at the Collector edition rifles from DSA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    That's a metric selector though. Inch selectors won't work in Metric guns.
    Back in the 1990s I built a few FN FALs and L1a1's. There was some misinformation around at that point about Selectors that would go all the wayy to Auto on metric lowers so I fitted L1a1 selectors to my STG58s- the modification it required was to either remove the wing on the L1a1 selector that struck the upper rec and prevented the selector from advancing to auto, OR remove the pin on the lower that the semi auto metric selector would have engaged. That was the easiest way to do it and did work. Today though there really would be no reason dto do this since DSA has L1a1 style metric selectors available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    Crusader, not meaning to jump in front of Templar, but I have a DSA STG58 carbine that came with the steel lower receiver and I changed it out to the aluminum. It is about one pound difference.
    To me it was a huge improvement in handling characteristics.
    I strongly recommend the aluminum.
    Stay safe.
    LDM and Templar,

Thank you for the feedback. The FAL is one of three rifles I'm looking at for my next purchase. On the FAL, I've been mainly looking at the full length rifles with a possibility of an 18". Although, obviously I want a very high quality rifle, my main use for it will be a rifle that is fun to shoot and has high historical value. I probably will not be attending any specialized training or be putting it through any hard use although I have no doubt that the DSA FALs are great rifles.

BTW: The other two rifles that I'm looking at are a VZ-58 or a second M4, probably a DD XV or Colt 6920 or 6520.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mashed68 View Post
    Dosen't really matter. I have a imbel gear logo reciever I bought back in 05, its still made on the OEM FN machinery.

My .02- the FAL is the greatest battle rifle made. Its stupid reliable, tuff as nails, and looks pretty bad ass too. It is NOT a DMR, sniper rifle, or full auto assault rifle. It is not a close in/clear rooms weapon either. Adding all the mall ninja crap does not add much in performance to the platform. A rail up top and a sling are all you really need to relize its full potential. FN got it right from the start, hence the reason there isen't much difference in the versions between 90+ countrys.
    Just my opinion, but I think you can use the FAL for the DMR role. If you want an accurized rifle, go with another platform. There are plenty of GI's serving in DMR roles without accurized rifles. A FAL with an ACOG, is more than capable to engage at 500 meters, which is what the Army DMR docterine is... engage targets between 300-500 meters.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ok thanks to a new friend in the industry I have a prototype back. They have a long history with this stuff, so I didn't turn it out in my garage.

Intial impression I like it.

Low mount for the Micro on the FAL. It is not QD.

because to do so would be to high to co-witness.

My high res camera was stolen by the wife and kids so this is all I have:

now I need to check when my ammo is due in.

Thoughts?
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That looks pretty damn good.....how is it held on? I don't see any screws....

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast