Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IWB holster suggestions

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

IWB holster suggestions

Hi guys. I'm currently in the market for an IWB holster and as I've ever only owned OWB rigs, looking for some assistance. I've been looking at a few models and I'm thinking the hybrid's might be the way to go for me. Hold open for easier re-holstering (maybe not the biggest deal) and the half kydex makes them seem a bit thinner overall but with the leather backing for some comfort. Anyone have good experiences with hybrids or want to point out some glaring flaws I should look out for? Those of you who have worn both all leather and hybrids can you point out pros/cons or what you like more about 1 or the other.

Currently I've been looking at these 2
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

http://www.bluegrasshybridholsters.c...hk=1&Itemid=53

Also I've looked at the Milt Sparks VM2 and like them but I just don't want to wait 26 weeks.
    Any other suggestions of ones I should look at would be welcome. Thanks.

And if it matters I'm bigger guy--6'2" about 250lbs. (but working my way down) and the holster will be for P229 (no rail).

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Mods please move if it needs to go in Tactical Gear or another forum.
    Last edited by Icculus; 06-23-09 at 11:20.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Once it is inside your waistband there is little else to worry about, IMO. I have used the C-Tac for years (and right now) and the only thing I did was replace a clip once.

My advice would be to go with the most narrow/least real estate Kydex and worry more about a really, really good belt and the trouser's fit. The IWB holster is more of a gun bucket.

M_P

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use the Kirkpatrick Hidden Defense Holster. It's similar to the Versamax2 in that it offsets the belt loops to help keep the bulk down. The two that I have (Glock and 1911) work wonderfully. Nice, thick leather, good hand worked molding, reinforced mouth for easy reholstering, and a high sweat guard on the inside. I wouldn't do any backflips or anything, but it'll keep 'em put during some light running and jostling. A bit cheaper than others I've seen as well. (~$80.00)
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    The Sparks Summer Special works very well for me. If you don't want to wait Galco makes a pretty good off the shelf holster. Their version of the SS is called the Summer Comfort.

Feedback Score
    Hello,

Rusty Sherrick's Rangemaster Thinman, shown at the bottom of the page via. the following link, is probally the least bulkest of all the IWB Holsters.

http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/holsters/insidewb.html
    Gun-control is created by scum-tyrants, enforced by oath-breakers and supported by fools that's too ignorant to understand the Importance of being Armed.

When America was a "free country", people could mail order machine guns without question - and that's how it should still be.

I'd rather beat a bad guy to death with my Browning Hi-Power, than shoot him dead with a 'plastic' pistol.

If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk like you own the place.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I find with IWB thinner is deffiniately better. m_p is right, the IWB is basically a gun pocket which you add to your pants.

That said I find more and more I prefer Kydex for my guns. I have used and can suggest the Custom Carry Concepts "Looper", the Comp-tac "MTAC" and "CTAC", and the Raven Concealment "Phantom".

Leather holsters are nice and many prefer them for all steel guns such as the Browning High Power and 1911. The Milt Sparks Versa-Max II is probably the industry standard, with the Milt Sparks Summer Special also being a good choice. There are many other leather holsters out there, I am really not that "in the know" on the subject. I just know these are regarded as the best.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
    Currently I've been looking at these 2
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95
    This is the holster that I use for my glock 23. It's the holster that I am always recommending. It holds the gun secure to my body. I have no problem with the firearm printing.(provided I dress appropriately) And with the tension screws, I can adjust how secure the holster holds the firearm and can also adjust how it rides on my belt. Talking about belts, make sure you have a sturdy one. It can make all the difference in how well the holster rides.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    no experience with the mtac, but i really like my comp-tac c-tac.

Feedback Score
    After reading your post again, I realize you wanted to know why we picked kydex over leather or vise versa.

I used to carry a Don Hume leather holster for a number of years. It was their h715-M W.C. It can be seen here at the top of the page; http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...ort=20a&page=2

I only stopped carrying it because I lost it in a flood. It was a very utilitraian holster that held my Glock 23. It had a reinforced opening to aid in reholstering. And the belt clip made it easy to put on and take off. It did have a minor problem with printing. The grip of the gun tended to push out away from my body. But a loose shirt would hide it very well. For the price I thought it was very well made. My wife has one for her USP compact. She loves it.

After I lost my don Hume holster I started to look at the MTac. I heard good things and decided to give it a try. I liked the leather backing, for comfort sake. And the kydex front tended to make the gun/holster rig less bulky.

At first, I missed to the ease at which I could slip the Don Hume onto my belt. But, I soon found that the MTac would go on quick enough and would stay in position without moving.

I used to be a fan of leather holsters. I felt that they always added a touch of class to the firearm. But, for everyday carry of a Glock, the MTac fits the bill. If I ever buy a nice Colt 1911 it will definitely go into an upscale leather holster. But, I don't really ever expect to carry anything other than my Glock.

I hope this helped a little bit.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks guys. I'm checking out some of the ones you've suggested. One of the reviews I was reading made an interesting comment. I'm going to use it to make a broad generalization about kydex (or hybrid) holsters vs. all leather and then let you guys correct me They were comparing an mtac and a vm2. The user basically said the mtac "felt more concealable" basically I believe referring to how the thinner profile allowed by the kydex made the holster seem closer to his body and less bulky. He commented though that the VM2 was more comfortable, especially when seated in the car.

Is this kinda the general consensus on leather vs kydex. I'm definitely concerned with the in the car part. I don't want to have to constantly feel like I have to remove the holster when getting in just to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by woodandsteel View Post
    This is the holster that I use for my glock 23. It's the holster that I am always recommending. It holds the gun secure to my body. I have no problem with the firearm printing.(provided I dress appropriately) And with the tension screws, I can adjust how secure the holster holds the firearm and can also adjust how it rides on my belt. Talking about belts, make sure you have a sturdy one. It can make all the difference in how well the holster rides.

Good luck!
    woodandsteel how do you like your mtac when in the car? And on the belt, I'm upgrading that too and going to be ordering a new one from The Belt Man

Keep the suggestions coming, thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast