Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Game Hunting AR's

Feedback Score

Big Game Hunting AR's

So been really toying with the idea of building a Big Game AR. I live in AZ and hunt Elk, Mule deer, and Couse deer. If I decide to do this it will need to be capable of taking all three at 300yds+ so Im thinking 308 is really the only viable option. Other thing is weight. If I do this I really want to keep it as light weight as possible. Is laying down the ol' reliable 700 worth it? So let me have it. Opinions, pictures, etc.

Feedback Score

I guess it depends of preference (distance)

I tend to hunt (Elk, Bear, Moose) at relatively shorter distances...I chose .458SOCOM after many months of research (was also considering .50 Beowulf, didn't consider .450 BM as it was a) made only by Bushmaster/Hornady and b) only 1 loading available: a light 250g option).

Here is why I personally chose .458SOCOM:
    • MOA at 100 yards (both)
    • Degradation past 100yards (both: didn't bother me)
    • Serious velocity & energy/take down (both: .458 has an edge, similar ballistics to 45-70: 1,100 - 2,000 fps / 2,400 ft lbs +/- depending on load)
    • Use standard AR lower (both)
    • Multiple upper manufacture options (.458)
    • Use Standard AR Mags, no mods (.458 only, 30 round .556 mag will hold 10 rounds)
    • Variety of ammo & bullets for hand-loading (.458 has big edge: 87 - 600 grain)
    • .458 uses rifle bullets /.50 Beowulf uses pistol

I chose a factory Rock River as it offered the best warranty and was quite reasonably priced (as opposed to my .556 Noveske obsessions as of late).

Ammo is pricey, but there are a few really solid factory loads: Corbon and SBR. This is an upper you will sight in and only shot when you need to: kicks more than a 12 gauge and you can spend up to $10 per round (Tungsten 600g). By my count, there are 12 factory load options currently available. They sell direct and at Midway USA & Graf & Sons as well. There are also a plethora of reloading options for .458 (straight casing (relative to Beowulf) make this easier as well.

Hope this helps...

IMHO, it'll take any critter in the America's, some claim to have taken Elephant, CApe Buffalo and Rhino with them as well (can't speak to that - yet). Oh yeah, and it will do a number on a car/truck or other human subject as well...

For longer range work, I am personally looking at the 6.5 Grendel. Shoots flatter than .308 and similar ballistics, albeit lighter: 123g Lapua Scenar will peak at 2,550fps / 1,650 ft lbs, @ 100 yards and shoot to 1200 yards.
    Last edited by mpardun; 04-26-09 at 08:48.

Feedback Score
    As stated the 458 is a devastating round albeit not a 300 yarder. I'd seriously look at the 6.8, a very effective round with a host of factory loadings and a vast number of industry supporters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hunt with an SBR 6.8 SPC. You would be fine with a 6.8 at 16".

There is no light weight when you move up to the .308 AR systems.

Within the Miasma of the corruption of Chicago.
    Feedback Score
    Anyone heard anything about Remington's new .308? There was a mention of it on Shooting U.S.A.'s coverage of the SHOT show.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    Anyone heard anything about Remington's new .308? There was a mention of it on Shooting U.S.A.'s coverage of the SHOT show.
    Basically, I heard and read that the bullet of choice for Rem's new 30 AR is 125gr at around 2700fps.......but that is with a 24" barrel!!! With a 110gr 6.8 you can get 2800 out of a 16"........and that is factory load SSA with the 110 Accubond!!!

Personally, I would go with the 6.8SPC!!!
    God Bless and good shootin'!!!

Feedback Score
    Check into the wssm line... a 25wssm would give you a lot more knock down power than the 6.8.

Dtech makes some very high quality uppers in 25wssm, and can also do other wildcat calibers if you reload (300wssm to name one, the rest are listed on his site).
    http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohibra45 View Post
    Basically, I heard and read that the bullet of choice for Rem's new 30 AR is 125gr at around 2700fps.......but that is with a 24" barrel!!! With a 110gr 6.8 you can get 2800 out of a 16"........and that is factory load SSA with the 110 Accubond!!!

Personally, I would go with the 6.8SPC!!!
    +1 for the 6.8

Not to mention it doesn't need a special lower, it uses standard 5.56 lowers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The .25 WSSM's funky lookin little things, they would offer more power but I'd still recomend the 6.8. IMHO only! Since your going past 300 the .458 goes from minimal drop to plumit. Similar to the .450 Bushy. I saw a 16" Bushy .450 in the store the other week and it's suprisingly light though, wonder how hard it kicks
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"

If you can't get behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them

Feedback Score
    I love my 6.8
    in fact, I am getting a 2nd 6.8 upper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast