Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Slide release

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Glock Slide release

The slide release lever on my Glock 30 is super tough to use. Is this something common in Glock pistols or what? I just got the gun used for $400, but it is fairly new. The previous owner said he bought it new about a year and a half ago, and the pistol appears to have not been shot at all. So is this a problem?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Do you have the empty magazine in the gun when you are attempting to use the slide release? If so, the mag spring may be tight. Load up the mag to max capacity and let it sit for a week or so.

If the mag is removed from the gun, and the release is still tight, check the mag release notch for any metal. Make sure it is smooth. If not, a call to Glock may be in order.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Maybe it's just me, but I find that the subcompact Glocks that use the telescoping 2-piece style recoil spring are much stiffer and therefore harder to release the slide with the lever (unless you're fighting an empty mag pushing up, the clamping force of the recoil spring pulling the slide forward is what you're counteracting). Example being my G26 is much harder to drop the slide on than my G34 or G19. You could just be noticing the difference?
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps Glock is attempting to enforce the view that releasing the slide via the slide lock is not the way to go? In all seriousness, perhaps you ought to look into an extended slide release. I own 7 Glocks and have had no trouble using the standard slide lock to lock back the slide. But I've never attempted to release the slide using that part, so can't comment as to whether the reverse is true.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well this is the only Glock I have ever delt with other than a G17 a few months back that I only shot 3 rounds through, and I did not notice a hard slide release on that, so maybe this stiff ass spring setup is doing it. And just so you know what kind of trouble Im having, it is not just a little hard to activate, you would think the darned thing was stuck if it was your first time handling the weapon(which I did). It actually hurts my thumb. And about calling Glock, Im not sure how far I would get with that since I am not the origional purchaser of the pistol. I suppose I could give it a shot, how is there customer service by the way?

ToddG Guest
    citizensoldier16 pointed out the most obvious potential problem, if you're trying to drop the slide on an empty magazine -- especially one with an unused mag spring -- then you're fighting more than just the slide release spring.

Beyond that, either you're not pressing on the lever properly (which I've seen more often than you'd think), there is a problem with the spring, or there is a dimensional problem with the lever or slide.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhanna91 View Post
    about calling Glock, Im not sure how far I would get with that since I am not the origional purchaser of the pistol. I suppose I could give it a shot, how is there customer service by the way?
    Their customer service has been overwhelmingly positive the few times I've called them. Before you call Glock, I'd start by determining if your problem is a tight mag spring, a tight recoil spring, or a machining issue. If its a spring issue, these can be solved by loading the mag or shooting about 50 rounds through the gun. Springs will naturally be tight on a new or unfired weapon, and will take some time to loosen up.

Keep us updated.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There doesn't appear to be any machining defects on it, and I'm pretty sure Im using the lever correctly, so I am going to give those springs some time to relax and see what happens. The last (10th) round is a little tough to get in the mag, so I bet thats what it is. Ill let you guys know how that works! Thank You!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The glock is much easier to charge by just using the slide grab method. I don't use the slide stop to release the slide.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The glock is much easier to charge by just using the slide grab method.
    Next time I see Dave Sevigny, I'll let him know he's doing it wrong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast