Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock Slide release

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Next time I see Dave Sevigny, I'll let him know he's doing it wrong.
    Doesn't he run that city slicker G34? Those have the extended slide stops if my memory serves me.

I've seen Vickers too uses the slide stop. I DIDN'T say it was wrong to use the unwashed method. I just said it's easier for me to grab and go. (with the standard slide stop being so slim on the glock)
    Last edited by markm; 06-24-09 at 12:58.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Doesn't he run that city slicker G34? Those have the extended slide stops if my memory serves me.
    Dave has more than one Glock, I'm pretty sure.

I just said it's easier for me to grab and go. (with the standard slide stop being so slim on the glock)
    (emphasis mine)

I somehow missed the "for me" part.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Alright...

"for EVERYONE"! Everyone with a standard slide stop should do it MY WAY.

The bigger point being that I didn't say that thumbing the slide stop was "wrong".

I'm anything but graceful. I can fumble **** anything that requires dexterity. If I can accomplish something without messing with a button or lever, I'll take that route every time. Plus, my thumb doesn't reach the slide stop without repositioning the gun in my hand.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Honestly, my G17 has seen so many rounds that I can literally ram a mag home and the slide will run forward on its own. Kinda nice during IDPA matches...saves me a few hundredths of a second on each reload!
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Alright...

"for EVERYONE"! Everyone with a standard slide stop should do it MY WAY.

The bigger point being that I didn't say that thumbing the slide stop was "wrong".

I'm anything but graceful. I can fumble **** anything that requires dexterity. If I can accomplish something without messing with a button or lever, I'll take that route every time. Plus, my thumb doesn't reach the slide stop without repositioning the gun in my hand.
    Would not the trigger be a lever? Perhaps you should give up shooting and stick to Golf like my goofball brother
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Would not the trigger be a lever? Perhaps you should give up shooting and stick to Golf like my goofball brother
    I'm worse at GOLF!!

I once watched a student melt down in a timed drill. It might have been a broad, but it's been a while now. Anyway, the student was shooting one of those city slicker Sig Sours for the entire day. And at the end of the day the instructor put a time constraint on the drill which included a mag exchange of some kind.

Anyway, the simple pressure of adding the time constraint caused the student to use the decocker to try to drop the mag in the gun. The student just stood there depressing the decocker with all his/her might and the mag wouldn't come free.

Now I know everyone will say the student wasn't familiar with the weapon and probably doesn't even own any 5.11 pants. But shooters at various levels can lock up and do dumb shit.

Anyhow, that's why I like to keep my weapons manipulations BIG, TRUE, and DUMB ASS proof. Even though I could probably pick up speed on a reload by going to the slide stop. I live in reality. And I realistically don't get enough practice to master that to the point where I'm like LAV.

ToddG Guest
    Without trying to start the umpteenth debate about this on M4C ...

I've seen plenty of students induce stoppages when "under stress" doing reloads with either an overhand or slingshot technique. Doing it properly requires more finesse then advocates want to admit, and the same person who lacks the skill to hit a little lever under stress (but he can still hit the mag button?) is going to lack the skill to rack the slide reliably.

The difference is that someone who misses the lever just goes for the lever again. Someone who induces a stoppage has caused himself a whole new level of rut-roh when he was already behind the curve.

Feedback Score
    I like the slingshot method on Glocks. It's been working good for me.

Feedback Score
    I run the standard release on everything including my 34 (used strictly for uspsa). I personally have never had an issue. I'm more worried about smothering it than not being able to hit it.

I don't know Dave personally but I had a chance to pick his brain a few years ago and, at least at that time, he swapped the extended out for the standard.

In my experience the G30 with the standard slide release is tougher to use and seems to be the nature of the beast with the wider slide.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB01 View Post
    I don't know Dave personally but I had a chance to pick his brain a few years ago and, at least at that time, he swapped the extended out for the standard.
    That's what I'd do if I ever got a G34/35. I like how slick the standard Glock is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast