Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New M&P JG ejecting brass back at the shooter.

Feedback Score

New M&P JG ejecting brass back at the shooter.

Started to finally break in the wife and her new M&PJG on Saturday. She was getting a lot of brass ejected back onto her head and right arm/shoulder. I thought she might be bambi wristing, so I shot 2 mags and also had the same issue.

Should I just continue to shoot the gun and see if it gets better, or is there something I can try to alleviate the issue?

Gun was clean and well lubed prior to shooting and relubed after about 100 rounds, all were Blazer Brass 115gr. We shot about 200 rounds total with no improvement.

I'm going to use a couple of different ammos next trip and see if there is a difference.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If different ammo doesn't stop it, it might be the shooters grip and or it might need a different ejector.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How is S&W about warranty repair on these pistols? You may just want to contact them about the problem.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    How is S&W about warranty repair on these pistols? You may just want to contact them about the problem.
    Currently one of he best in the industry.

I'd call the S&W customer service department.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's what I figured. Just didn't know what kind of backlog they had going on with the PPK/S thing right now as it was my assumption they all went to the same place.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    Started to finally break in the wife and her new M&PJG on Saturday.
    Tackling both at once ... brave!

Assuming you both have an adequate grip, it's either the ejector or your chamber may need to be honed a bit. I'd try putting a couple hundred rounds of hotter ammo through the gun (NATO or +p if you can find it) and then assess. If the problem is still occurring, send the gun to S&W for a check-up. Last I knew, they were running just a couple of weeks between receipt and repair.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Tackling both at once ... brave!

Assuming you both have an adequate grip, it's either the ejector or your chamber may need to be honed a bit. I'd try putting a couple hundred rounds of hotter ammo through the gun (NATO or +p if you can find it) and then assess. If the problem is still occurring, send the gun to S&W for a check-up. Last I knew, they were running just a couple of weeks between receipt and repair.
    Her grip was marginal, I'll probably pm you about it when I have more time. Mine was adequate, it's nice not having the slide lock lever in the way.

I have some Ranger +p, I'll run that and see what happens.

On edit: I also forgot until she reminded me, we had one misfire. Looked like a light hit on the primer, the offending round discharged out of my Hi Power.
    Last edited by Aray; 06-08-09 at 11:09. Reason: addition

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My daughter's JG is doing the same thing with American Eagle (it was doing it to me as well about half the time). I put 50 rds of CCI Lawman through it the other day with no problems but I've not had her out yet with different ammo. She's on the small side so it could be a grip issue with her.
    The trigger pull is also pretty heavy, compared to my M&P40 duty gun, and the slide lock is extremely difficult to release. Once I get the slide lock and ejection issues taken care of I'll probably contact Bowie Tactical for trigger work.

Feedback Score
    After 200 rounds of RA9115HP+ (Winchester Ranger 115gr +P+), the gun does eject better. I ran it Friday at an instructor shoot and today at our IDPA match using 115gr Blazer Brass.
    It now ejects about 3 ft to the right and rear, on average. I did have one hit the brim of my hat, but it is way better than it was.

The slide release on the other hand is still so stiff it is unusable. I will continue to use the gun and hope for the slide release to break in also.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    The slide release on the other hand is still so stiff it is unusable. I will continue to use the gun and hope for the slide release to break in also.
    It will. The release on my M&P9c was so stiff I actually started laughing the first time I tried to drop the slide from lock onto a magazine. After a few hundred rounds and numerous slide releases it has gotten a lot easier to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast