Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In your opinion...Why didn;t the XD's take off?

Feedback Score

In your opinion...Why didn;t the XD's take off?

I'm a die hard 1911 man, but I did have a Springfield XD in 9mm that I really like especially after i upgraded the recoil guide and spring.

I was just wondering why you think that the XD never really took off and the M&P did. Of course Glock still owns the plastic gun world, and if you'd like to compare the XD to the Glock as well as the M&P...have at it.
    Last edited by toddackerman; 12-19-08 at 18:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I tried one (at the range, not at the gun store) and did not like the way the pistol handled recoil. Its ergos do not agree with me, particularly when compared to a Glock (second best) and M&P (top).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Around here the XD is very popular. Quite a few people that I shoot with carry XD's. I had an XD subcompact and it was a nice little gun but I am, like you, a 1911 guy and sold it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I owned 4 and sold them all...not terribly accurate...

I tried to like them, but Glocks out perform them in every regard, IMHO...

I can't warm up to the M&P either...

Feedback Score
    LE contracts. That's pretty much the long and short of that. That being said the XD is a very popular handgun but lacks the marketing savvy to LE that Glock had and that S&W already had.
    BTW - I've had two XD9's, G19, and currently the M&P9. The XD's come in behind the M&P and the G19 is last. but I started with a High Power so I am biased towards those ergonomics...... good ones!
    Last edited by nsnate02; 12-19-08 at 19:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am aware of two of them with identical reliability issues. The channel that the extractor rides in is exposed on the bottom side. Both XDs that I have shot had the same problem with stuff getting under the extractor. This caused the extractor to loose tension on the case and fail to extract. These are the only two Xds that I have experience with. Could it be that they had issues with reliability? It certainly soured my opinion of them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewdanger View Post
    I am aware of two of them with identical reliability issues. The channel that the extractor rides in is exposed on the bottom side. Both XDs that I have shot had the same problem with stuff getting under the extractor. This caused the extractor to loose tension on the case and fail to extract. These are the only two Xds that I have experience with. Could it be that they had issues with reliability? It certainly soured my opinion of them.
    meh! XD's have just as good a reliability record as any other handgun, Glock's included. In fact an even more arduous "torture test" was done on them as the legendary Glock test. It's like saying that Glock's will blow up on you and shoot you in the butt.
    http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php
    Last edited by nsnate02; 12-19-08 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The XD's a ok pistol for most shooters, it'll probably never give them a problem. I bought a M&P45 earlier this month and it does feel much better in the hands, but it could benefit from a trigger job.. After a couple hundred rounds the trigger on my M&P has smoothed out, and it is useable..But, could be improved..I also picked up a HK USP last night, it has the LEM trigger installed, wow, This trigger set up is better than either the XD or the M&P, To me,it's about a lightyear ahead of either. I do know, the XD is going to be put up for sale...I don't feel I need it, or want it anymore.. Between the M&P, and the HK how could I go wrong?? I feel the XD's biggest weakness, is parts availbilty,(yeah I know HK's not much better, but they are starting a facility to make pistols here in the U.S. so, that little problem may finally be solved) and another annoying problem is it's possible to lock the pistol up from improper reassembly after cleaning, and can be very difficult to unlock once this happens..This never happend to me but check over at the XD forum and it comes up often..The XD is a good pistol for the price point, but there are better pistols out there for the same money or just a little more.
    Last edited by ralph; 12-19-08 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    XDs....

My dislikes:

High bore axis.
    Ambi and stiff mag catch.
    Not consistently accurate (probably accurate enough for many) but accuracy isn't consistent from one pistol to another.

I much prefer a M&P or Glock to a XD. However the XDM is a pretty big improvement. Still not quite the ease of a Glock or M&P to customize without spending a fortune but it's better. Springfield Armory if you're reading this and want the XD to succeed you need to get the bore axis lower. The ergos of the XD and XDM are great, but simple physics will tell you the lower the bore in your hand the better for control. More control = faster recoil recovery and more rounds on target faster. Rob Leatham (TGO aka The Great One) has probably already told you this.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsnate02 View Post
    meh! XD's have just as good a reliability record as any other handgun, Glock's included. In fact an even more arduous "torture test" was done on them as the legendary Glock test. It's like saying that Glock's will blow up on you and shoot you in the butt.
    http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php
    That very well may be. One of the guns that I am talking about was a range rental so it may not be a fair sample. Still, two guns with two identical issues did turn me off to the platform.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast