Thread: Zeroing Aimpoint M4

Feedback Score

Zeroing Aimpoint M4

Hi I am new to AIMPOINT world. I have shot ACOG'S before and know how to zero them. I went to Aimpoints Web-site and they said to Zero Aimpoint you aim red-dot at center of target,take a shot. If your shot is to the right of the Bulls eye. You steady rifle again and look through the AIMpoint and turn knobs to move the dot to the Bullet hole or POI. With my Acog if you are shooting to the right of POA then you move your windage to the left you dont have to be looking through the sight to do this. why is this with the aimpoint? please advise

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I've zeroed plenty of Aimpoint optics and have never done it that way. I always fire a five shot group at 50 meters and then adjust the optic to move the group to point of aim. I've never done this while looking through the optic. The CompM4 owner's manual says each click of the adjustment screw moves the dot 16mm at 100 meters which is about .63 inches (.315 at 50 meters). So say the middle of your 50 meter group is 3 inches right and 5 inches high. You would need to turn the windage adjustment screw clockwise approximately 10 clicks and turn the elevation screw clockwise approximately 16 clicks. Repeat firing groups and adjusting until point of aim = point of impact.
    Ní dhoirtfear fuil neamhchiontach choíche. Ach sruthóidh fuil na n-olc mar abhainn. Leathfaidh an triúr a n-eiteoga dubhaithe agus beidh siad ina chasúr buailte Dé.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDW67 View Post
    You do see the smiley face, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Indeed I do, and it's not a damned hall pass for shitheads.
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Additionally, this has been asked several times recently... and Iraqgunz will lock the shit out of this thread when sees it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Zero your irons to whatever distance you want, then move the dot to the tip of your front sight post while lining up the sights as normal. That should get you close, then shoot with only the red dot to dial it in further.
    Last edited by spamsammich; 06-26-09 at 03:25.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    yep, lollipop it. put it on the tip of the front sight post, fire for effect, then adjust as necessary. that's how they had us zero at Ft. Lewis (after we zeroed irons of course) and that's how we did it at Hill AFB before I deployed, its good to go.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgemo View Post
    Hi I am new to AIMPOINT world. I have shot ACOG'S before and know how to zero them. I went to Aimpoints Web-site and they said to Zero Aimpoint you aim red-dot at center of target,take a shot. If your shot is to the right of the Bulls eye. You steady rifle again and look through the AIMpoint and turn knobs to move the dot to the Bullet hole or POI. With my Acog if you are shooting to the right of POA then you move your windage to the left you dont have to be looking through the sight to do this. why is this with the aimpoint? please advise
    I like to start at 7yds (if I can) get it hitting 3" low but good windage wise.
    Then move to 25yds, get it hitting 1.5" low but still good windage.
    Move to 50yds, get it hitting POA/POI (point of aim, point of impact).

When you get the chance to shoot 200yds do so, you should be really close, readjust it to POA/POI. Many guns shoot differently when you get to 200yds. Then try 50yds again but don't make any changes. Also use the lowest setting which you can still see the dot when zeroing and you'll get a more accurate zero.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So your primary question is why do you have to be looking through the Aimpoint to zero it?

You don't have to. They're simply giving you instructions that will save you a few shots and some time. You can zero the ACOG in the exact same fashion. Hunting magazines used to refer to it as the one shot zero. But don't take that literally. You should still be confirming it with a group...and it will probably take more than one to get spot on anyway as the rifle inevitably shifts while you're turning the turrets.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated21R View Post
    yep, lollipop it. put it on the tip of the front sight post, fire for effect, then adjust as necessary. that's how they had us zero at Ft. Lewis (after we zeroed irons of course) and that's how we did it at Hill AFB before I deployed, its good to go.
    That's how I plan to do it... if I ever get an aimpoint.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Guys for all the help, I am going today to zero at 50 yards

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Also use the lowest setting which you can still see the dot when zeroing and you'll get a more accurate zero.
    Great point^^^!