Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P .40 not going to slide lock

Feedback Score

M&P .40 not going to slide lock

I've been training with my M&P .40 now since March when i purchased it. MRJ are the first 3 letters in the serial #. I'd say 7 out of 10 times upon the last round fired the gun does not go to slide lock. I have a habit of putting slight pressure on the release with my thumb because thats where my grip is. Both right and left handed shooting. But it's the slightest of pressure. I've done a few tests with this grip, shot 2 rounds and slide lock when I'm not putting accidental pressure on the release. However when I'm under the clock and running the stages in comps and training I don't have the time to stop and think about my grip, it's all muscle memory. Besides this adds at least a second to my time to rack the slide after reloading. Other firearms I've trained with don't have this issue. I've checked the mags to see if they aren't engaging the slide lock effeciently when both the slide was off and on. I didn't notice an issue. I also do not load them to capacity. they are 15 round mags usually loaded to 13+1. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone who has a M&P have similar issues? Any recomendations on changing the mag springs or the slide lock spring? Thank you

Attachment 2682

Attachment 2683

Attachment 2684

Attachment 2685

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does it lock back when the blaster is empty? Try locking the slide back on an empty mag with your finger completely off the slide lock.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I usually end up holding it down during shooting too. I have to consciously keep my support hand off of the slide lock as well as my shooting hand thumb.

The test to make sure it's not the gun is to load 1 round per mag and shoot it one handed left and right being sure to keep your thumb off the slide stop lever, it should go to slide lock.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    It locks no problem like that. I've tried slowly and with force to simulate a rapid lock with the mag empty. Which is why I'm leaning toward my thumb slightly and I do me ever so slightly touching the slide lock. But opinions are welcome thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ygbsm View Post
    Does it lock back when the blaster is empty? Try locking the slide back on an empty mag with your finger completely off the slide lock.
    That would be my advice. I had the same issue with my first M&P. You may not notice it, but during recoil, that slight pressure may be enough to inadvertently engage the slide lock. My thumb was slightly engaging the release because of my grip. I moved the thumb slightly left, and the problem went away.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I usually end up holding it down during shooting too. I have to consciously keep my support hand off of the slide lock as well as my shooting hand thumb.

The test to make sure it's not the gun is to load 1 round per mag and shoot it one handed left and right being sure to keep your thumb off the slide stop lever, it should go to slide lock.
    Is there a stronger mag spring I could install to eliminate that chance?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gogetal3 View Post
    Is there a stronger mag spring I could install to eliminate that chance?

I use in all my mags (17 round and 22 round) the Speed Shooters Specialties extra power mag springs and I still end up most of the time keeping it from slide lock. I shoot USPSA so most of the time it doesn't matter because I don't have to go to slide lock (I do a reload before going to slide lock). For IDPA I have a different slide stop where I've removed the lever of the left side of the gun and I just sling shot the slide after a reload.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Have you tried playing with different grip panels? A different sized grip insert might alter your grip enough so that you no longer put pressure on the slide release.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Have you tried playing with different grip panels? A different sized grip insert might alter your grip enough so that you no longer put pressure on the slide release.
    This would be my advice, as well.

If the gun is functioning properly (mechanically) then you can either change the way you handle the gun, change the shape of the gun, or change guns.

Feedback Score
    I have tried all the grip panels. However my hands are large and the biggest grip offers the best trigger reach and control while comfortablly retaining the firearm in my hand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast