Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P .40 not going to slide lock

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had this issue as well, I called S&W and asked if they had any of the old style slide releases** (the original did not have the bump or swell on it that is now standard on the M&P, it was slab sided). They did, but instead of them sending it to me to install like I wanted, I had to send the gun in to have this part changed. Free of charge of course, but annoying as its a 10 minute job.

I relented, sent the gun in, and now have no issues.

Hope this helps.

**Edit - Whoops! Edited to fix, thanks guys.
    Last edited by RadioActivity; 07-01-09 at 01:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad your problem was fixed, but this thread is about slide locks, not magazine catches.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Glad your problem was fixed, but this thread is about slide locks, not magazine catches.
    I'm pretty sure he meant slide catch and not mag catch judging by his description.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he meant slide catch and not mag catch judging by his description.
    Oh...sorry about that then. I wasn't sure if he meant the mag catch or the slide catch.

ToddG Guest
    Oh...sorry about that then. I wasn't sure if he meant the mag catch or the slide catch.
    Glad your problem was fixed, but this thread is about slide locks not misunderstandings.

(sorry, couldn't resist )

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To add content to the thread I am having a similar issue with my P99, however I have never had it with my M&P.

I have been trying to force a grip change in order to avoid hitting the slide catch, but I find it is not a natural positioning for my thumbs and frequently my thumb reverts back to the position where it contacts the slide catch during recoil. I find it add time in my draw stroke as I draw, bring the pistol to my support hand, ENSURE MY THUMB IS NOT ****ED UP, then drive the pistol to the target.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What I was trying to say is maybe your thing-ah-mah-jig, on your mammer-jammer, is all caddywhompus.

Anyway, as described in my EDITED post lol, the slab sided slide release/lock/catch/terminology of the day fixed my issue, and now that I think of it I did this in conjunction with taking the next size up grip insert and having Dan Burwell shave it down to be less bulbous and more similar in profile to the medium, so that it only added length to the grip and not width. This was awesome and made the pistol handle a lot better for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetCaseNerd View Post
    ...the slab sided slide release/lock/catch/terminology of the day fixed my issue, and now that I think of it I did this in conjunction with taking the next size up grip insert and having Dan Burwell shave it down to be less bulbous and more similar in profile to the medium, so that it only added length to the grip and not width. This was awesome and made the pistol handle a lot better for me.
    Awesome! Glad to see a few minor modifications made such a difference.

ToddG Guest
    I have been trying to force a grip change in order to avoid hitting the slide catch, but I find it is not a natural positioning for my thumbs and frequently my thumb reverts back to the position where it contacts the slide catch during recoil. I find it add time in my draw stroke as I draw, bring the pistol to my support hand, ENSURE MY THUMB IS NOT ****ED UP, then drive the pistol to the target.
    There is really no solution to this other than practice, I'm afraid, unless you want to go the route of physically modifying the gun.

A very good approach is to establish your proper grip, shoot, and then very slowly & mechanically bring the gun backwards through your draw stroke routine until the gun is in the holster. Then very slowly do a draw, shoot, and go backwards slowly again. Remember, you are essentially re-learning how to grip a pistol.

The key is to go slowly. Most people want to practice and incorporate changes at full speed, but it just doesn't work that way. If I put you in a right-hand drive car, you couldn't go around a track as fast as you can in a left-hand drive car. You'd need to get used to the car a bit first. Same same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    There is really no solution to this other than practice, I'm afraid, unless you want to go the route of physically modifying the gun.

A very good approach is to establish your proper grip, shoot, and then very slowly & mechanically bring the gun backwards through your draw stroke routine until the gun is in the holster. Then very slowly do a draw, shoot, and go backwards slowly again. Remember, you are essentially re-learning how to grip a pistol.

The key is to go slowly. Most people want to practice and incorporate changes at full speed, but it just doesn't work that way. If I put you in a right-hand drive car, you couldn't go around a track as fast as you can in a left-hand drive car. You'd need to get used to the car a bit first. Same same.
    Good post Todd, thanks for the advise.

I really like the idea of going backwards through the draw stroke. I will slow it way down until I work my way through the problem.

Have you seen any issues like this with the P30? I was looking at the slide catch on one at a fun shop here and it seems very similar in shape and placement to the P99. Was there a grip re-adjustment going from the M&P to the P30?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast