Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M&P .40 not going to slide lock

ToddG Guest
    When I first looked at the P30, before even getting the test gun, that was a major concern for me. In fact, gotm4, Failure2Stop, and I played with one at Virginia Arms (dry fire) for a bit.

What has worked for me is using the largest of the left grip panels, which helps both give me more purchase on the gun (more friction = less muzzle flip) and keeps my hands & fingers away from the lever enough to prevent non-slidelock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just to further add to the discussion, this is one of the reason why I really like the thumb safety on my M&P. If I properly ride the safety while firing it completely moves my thumb away from the slide catch, and serves the purpose of forcing a very high hold on the pistol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    There is really no solution to this other than practice, I'm afraid, unless you want to go the route of physically modifying the gun.

A very good approach is to establish your proper grip, shoot, and then very slowly & mechanically bring the gun backwards through your draw stroke routine until the gun is in the holster. Then very slowly do a draw, shoot, and go backwards slowly again. Remember, you are essentially re-learning how to grip a pistol.

The key is to go slowly. Most people want to practice and incorporate changes at full speed, but it just doesn't work that way. If I put you in a right-hand drive car, you couldn't go around a track as fast as you can in a left-hand drive car. You'd need to get used to the car a bit first. Same same.
    Agreed, I get plenty of trigger time, and dry fire time as well. I was just wondering if anyone had a solution other than that or even if anyone had similar issues, and it infact wasn't the pistol in question. Thanks for the input everyone

ToddG Guest
    The more common issue with the M&P is a slide stop lever which is too difficult to depress.

Depending on when your gun was manufactured, though, there was a running change about a year ago (very rough timeline) to a stronger spring.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123