Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a 1911 vs Glock Thread!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mattpittinger View Post
    Since I was 5 years old I have shot 1911 style pistols. When I pick a 1911 it feels like it was made for my hand. I feel utterly confident in my ability to make any shot with most of my 1911's. In the last few year I have tinkered off and on with the Glock and M&P pattern pistols. Both are great guns, and shoot both of them well. I still feel however that I have to intentionally "make" myself shoot a Glock or a M&P, where as a 1911 feels like a natural extension. I know that this is something that can be overcame with any firearms through proper training and lots of TBS. What I am wondering to myself is, is this a necessary change? Should I stay with the 1911s that I shoot so well and feel so confident with, or should I move to a lighter, higher capacity, "more reliable" gun, and learn to shoot it as well. I am not looking to start a shouting match like I did with my last thread. I am looking for someone who has had to make this choice as well. Why did you choose which way to go? What one advantage tipped you one way or the other? I am an average civilian, not Mil or LE, this is for everyday carry. Size is not a factor, I carry a full size gun in both platforms.
    Maybe if you'd been shooting Glocks since you were 5, and in the last few years picked up 1911s, they would feel "odd". I mean no disrespect, as my dad shoots 1911s, and I like them as well, but I have shot mostly Glocks as far as HGs go, the 1911 trigger always takes me several mags to adjust to, where as I can pick up any standard Glock and the trigger pull feels natural, some take up-break. It's all in what you spend the most time with I guess.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
    Maybe if you'd been shooting Glocks since you were 5, and in the last few years picked up 1911s, they would feel "odd". I mean no disrespect, as my dad shoots 1911s, and I like them as well, but I have shot mostly Glocks as far as HGs go, the 1911 trigger always takes me several mags to adjust to, where as I can pick up any standard Glock and the trigger pull feels natural, some take up-break. It's all in what you spend the most time with I guess.
    I agree with this. I started out shooting 1911s and now have switched over to a Glock 19. I made the switch for a couple different reasons, but as of yet I don't shoot the G19 better than I do a 1911. It's practice , practice, practice and I will get there, but the transition can be uncomfortable.

Feedback Score
    I like my 1911s. I trust MY 1911s. But I am cognizant that in many ways, a 1911 is still a bit of tempermental machinery-or rather, it can be, or become over time tempermental. For trustworthiness for self-defense/combat, I think a pretty strong argument can be made that it really necessitates being set up by an expert first (preferably both before and after break-in), and then periodically examined and maintained by an expert/qualified armorer.

Glocks, on the other hand, particularly in the 9mm incarnations (and I'm also perfectly trusting and content with my personal G21 in .45 ACP) are pretty much the industry gold standard for durability and reliability, over protracted time, regardless of envoironment. They need singularly little lubrication, and are not only easily field-stripped, but also easily detail-stripped.

I agree that Glocks can be a bit of an acquired taste, particularly regarding their grip angle and trigger characteristics. That's easily (and relatively quickly) acquired through familiarization, practice and use. Figure at least 5,000 repetitions of pertinent actions/activities with your gun/operating system of choice to sufficiently engrain its operation into your "muscle memory."

Short version: While I cherish my 1911s, but if I needed to choose one gun to go into an environmentally challenging or uncertain environment, with limited or non-existant organic and/or higher echelon support, my choice would be either a Glock G17, G19, or G21.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-29-09 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is a note I wrote on my phone one night when I couldn't sleep. I am a diehard 1911 guy but I am also a diehard user oriented guy. Here is my note...

I am a better shot with a 1911 and I can get on target faster from holster with the 1911 VS Glock BUT.......

In most CCW situations 1 hand shooting might take place (Glock points better 1 handed I think). I don't think you actually have time to get a proper grip and stance like most guys shoot paper.

I think I need to get better aquainted with the G26 + G19 combo because......

I sweat like a bitch in the summer (a + for the Glock).

The .22 conversion seems more bang for the buck than a 1911 conversion.

The G19 is lighter and more compact than my full size 1911 so it is a tad more convienent in real world non I am cool because I carry a 1911 world.

Simple integrated rail for X300. No cost adding a rail to existing gun but light needed.

If I ever in the long haul need to repair the Glock I can do that in house more than not.

A 2nd pistol is more costly to set up on a 1911 (Despite me having 4 1911's now there not all set up the same due to cost involved and finding labor).

My G26 is my carry when no print desired gun and the G19 mags fit + its similar in pointing and function as the G26 so comonality exists.

Despite my love for the 1911 there are +'s for the Glock that outweight the simple comfort and ease of accurate groups of the 1911 platform.

Anyway!!! It does build a pretty good argument for spending time and energy to get acoustomed to the Glock huh??? I did am currently am
    Brian Goode
    NC Knifemaker
    http://www.bgoodeknives.com

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    There is too much loyalty to either pistol. I think people feel that if they are 1911 owners they are cheating on their gun if they pick up a plastic wonder and vice versa. It's all about how the weapon feels in your hand and how proficient you are with it. I absolutely love my Kimber compact CDP. Looks good shoots smooth BUT... I can not shoot half as well with it as I can with any of my Glock pistols. I do find myself carrying my Kimber in the winter months when clothes are thicker but my primary carry weapon is a Glock. When I go to a shooting class, the Glock comes with every time.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We need to get over the romance of carrying a WWI era pistol, and get on to the business of shooting smelly bad guys in the face with a modern pistol design.
    That maybe kind a bad analogy markm. It has lasted so long for a reason. Im not saying they are overall more reliable, accurate, ergonomic, than all the pollywogs such as glocks, m&ps. etc. etc., but they are different and in my mind it is nice to have a choice when polymer just isnt for you. I want to get an m&p very soon because they have a lot going for them, but I doubt it will ever feel as "right" to me as my 1911 does. That being said Im going to get rid of all of my families automobiles because those are a thing of the past and we are going to switch to hovercrafts
    Last edited by flyboy1788; 06-29-09 at 23:36.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauber866 View Post
    Maybe if we still used the 1920's era health codes, we wouldn't be the fattest nation on earth, with the most diet induced diseases on the planet, maybe if we still used "sopwith" technology, our pilots would know how to fly a plane, instead of the computers doing it and we would again be the best pilots in the world, maybe if we still used a caliber that was capable of causing large permanent wound channels, we wouldn't have so many soldiers being wounded by enemies we thought were already out of the fight.
    You have got to be kidding me. Tell us about your flight training. There's naval aviators on this site you know....

Also, cite your data on "soldiers being wounded by enemies we thought were already out of the fight." No anecdotal data please.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy1788 View Post
    That maybe kind a bad analogy markm.
    There's no analogy in my statement at all.

It has lasted so long for a reason.
    Right! People refuse to get over the romance of an outdated design. Emotion is inherently irrational, and people have an emotional attachment to the 1911 platform.

I still own 2 1911s. I just know their place.
    Last edited by markm; 06-30-09 at 10:03.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The emphasis should be on the software (human) side, not the hardware (pistol) side of the equation.

Good shooters with Ruger P89s are going to prevail over poor shooters with Nighthawk GRPs. Simple fact.

Pick an adequate pistol; train with it, practice with it, carry it. Problem sorted.

M_P

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    The emphasis should be on the software (human) side, not the hardware (pistol) side of the equation.

Good shooters with Ruger P89s are going to prevail over poor shooters with Nighthawk GRPs. Simple fact.

Pick an adequate pistol; train with it, practice with it, carry it. Problem sorted.

M_P
    I agree. Right now, I have a choice between my 1911 and my Glock 32. Being able to train with one or the other is all about the financial burden associated with one round or the other. That's why I carry the 1911 right now. The software side, as you say, is definately important, as long as it's kept up with actual trigger time. I guess I often get to thinking about 13 rounds vs. 8 rounds of capacity, but the one thing that keeps me on the 1911 is that I reload for it, so I can actually shoot the darn thing and keep in practice with it. Whereas with the .357Sig, my wallet hurts a little more each time I pull the trigger, making me not want to train with it, and carrying a gun you aren't confident with is tantemount to carrying a gun that just doesn't function.

For me, it's not about the romance as some have pointed out, it's about finance. If you can't afford to practice with it, there's no point in carrying it.
    Last edited by Zhurdan; 06-30-09 at 10:16.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast