Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SAO SIG ???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

SAO SIG ???

I have been looking to get me a Sig p220 Carry or a SAO p220
    I have never carried a SAO can anyone with some back ground with this give me some input?.would this be a good choice for a carry weapon?thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am not a proponent of SA, locked and cocked carry a la 1911 style pistols with which one could lump the P220SAO. There are many here who favor that carry system, Many of them also think it is okay to carry in bars and have a beer or two, go figure. Under stress, when your pucker factor is way up and your fine motor skills have left town, simpler is better. Under these circumstances I don't even like de-cockers like the DA/SA P220 Carry. If you really want a P220 as a DEFENSIVE carry pistol then I would recommend a SIG P220DAK or a DAO. If you want it as a range gun or a target gun, then get the SAO. If you are very comfortable with the SIG DA/SA system and the use of their de-cocker then go ahead and get the Carry model.

Feedback Score
    I'm a big fan of SA cocked and locked carry and I don't think you should mix booze and firearms. That's the ****ing stupidest shit I've read in a while

Its another step before you squeze the trigger not ****ing rocket science. Its easier to learn the trigger..and its easier to shoot well if you do not have allot of time/money/experience with handguns and for ammunition. Its also personal.. go shoot one and decide for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    There are many here who favor that carry system, Many of them also think it is okay to carry in bars and have a beer or two, go figure.
    Old age and treachery always overcome youth and skill

Feedback Score
    I recently purchased a SIG 220 SAO.
    I have been a 1911 guy for a while, so the manual of arms is familiar. For folks worried about carrying cocked & locked (?), the safety is very positive and on the stiff side.
    I have not finished trials before carrying, but first outing it functioned perfectly through about 300 rounds. My gut says this one is gong to be a keeper and a favorite.
    The one hiccup I had was intermittent failure to lock back. On reflection, it was my fault. I shoot 1911's with thumb over the thumb safety. Doing this with the 220 results in light contact with the slide release. This contact was just enough to hamper the engagement of the slide release.
    My 220 has the external extractor, which is relatively new for this model. There were some 220's in recent years with internal extractors that gave problems, likely from a metal tempering issue. The forum dedicated to SIGs has some reports about this issue, which had been intermittent. Given the choice, which I did have, I opted for the external.
    Presently there are no alternative grip panels for the SAO. Hogue may bring some out someday (sigh).
    The grip is what I'd call medium large, so I strongly recommend anyone considering one, handle one first.
    Warren makes rear sights that fit this model. Although the factory sights are good.
    I have not owned a SIG since the 90's, although I have always had an affinity for them. The whole DA/SA transition thing gave me problems, although in fairness I believe it is a training thing. But this 220 SAO is a very nice package.
    Last edited by LDM; 06-30-09 at 06:27.

Feedback Score
    There are many here who favor that carry system, Many of them also think it is okay to carry in bars and have a beer or two, go figure.
    That seems to be questionable analogical inference IMHO.
    Last edited by Aray; 06-30-09 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    As always, you need to handle (and hopefully test fire) the weapon before you buy it. I've fondled the 220 SAO and found it wasn't suited to , even without an opportunity to shoot it. When I dropped the safety, the edge of the safety trapped a piece of my thumb between the safety and the slide release. It happened consistently and was only stopped when I changed my grip on the weapon. It's not really a big deal in the cosmic scheme of things, but it was a distraction and I know the SAO would not be the first weapon I'd want to train with, which would have relegated it to safe queen status had I bought it sight unseen.

You may not have the same issue due to your grip or hand size, or it might not bother you at all even if it occurs. It's just something you might want to take into consideration.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    The one hiccup I had was intermittent failure to lock back. On reflection, it was my fault. I shoot 1911's with thumb over the thumb safety. Doing this with the 220 results in light contact with the slide release. This contact was just enough to hamper the engagement of the slide release.
    The issue here is that with a SAO gun, the proper way to grip the pistol is with your thumb riding the safety. If you habituate your grip so that you are always on top of the safety as you shoot, you dramatically decrease the odds of (a) forgetting to disengage the safety and (b) inadvertently activating the safety during the firing cycle.

I was never a fan of the SAO SIGs because the safety lever blocked my ability to reach the slide release lever.

Feedback Score
    Hello,

I've owned many different makes & models of pistols down thru the years, and cannot understand why anyone, when given a choice, would choose any manual of arms over a single-action automatic.

In fact, I've sold all my pistols that were Not single-action only, in order to aquire more single-action automatics.

The M1911 & The Browning High Power are Totally Safe when carried in Condition One, and I'd imagine that the single-action Sig is as well.

There are photos of a cut-away 1911 in the following link that shows how the safety totally blocks the sear, and the safety also blocks the sear in a very simular fashion on The Browning High Power.

Here's the link to the photos.
    http://photos1.blogger.com/photoIncl...hnholbrook.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Reed; 08-23-09 at 08:21. Reason: Added Different Link to Photos.
    Gun-control is created by scum-tyrants, enforced by oath-breakers and supported by fools that's too ignorant to understand the Importance of being Armed.

When America was a "free country", people could mail order machine guns without question - and that's how it should still be.

I'd rather beat a bad guy to death with my Browning Hi-Power, than shoot him dead with a 'plastic' pistol.

If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk like you own the place.

Feedback Score

What a stupid statement. If you think that DAO or TDA guns are the cats ass for carry than state your reasons why you think so. Your put down of serious people who carry SAO guns is uncalled for on a board filled with serious minded shooters.

The fact of the matter is that the startle response can easily overcome any DAO system. The idea that a DA system affords you some sort of protection over a SA is misguided. If you have your finger on the trigger and you get startled chances are the gun is going to go bang regardless of the trigger mechanism. There is a fairly famous case from several years ago when a member of the NYPD accidentally killed a teenager on the roof of a housing project when he opened a door to a stairway not expecting a kid to be there. The NYPD carries G19's with the NY trigger spring. It made no difference.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast