Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SAO SIG ???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    very nice weapon!!!thanks for posting a Picture.I can see what some of you are saying about the thumb riding the safety and causing failure to lock back.
    what is the fix that you speak of??

Feedback Score
    No idea brother. After hearing that they had some sort of a fix, I emailed a guy who works there and who specifically mentioned that it was something they've routinely addressed, but have yet to hear back from him. This is going back about 4-5 months now. I'm going to try them again as that is really my only nitpick with the gun.

Feedback Score

Sig P220R SAO

I'm a fan of the SAO system. I've carried 1911's for years, and recently purchased the Sig P220R SAO. I've always liked Sig's for their dependability, durability, and ease of field stripping, but just never cared for the DA trigger. This Sig does it all, but it did require training myself to not ride the safety like I did on my 1911's, for the reason others have mentioned regarding slide-locking. I've read that the slide lock "tab" can be ground down to minimize the problem. After all, there only needs to be just enough metal there to catch the slide when the magazine is empty. I don't use the slide lock to release the slide - I simply pull the slide back to load the pistol. I just can't bring myself to grind on the part, so I've just learned to keep my thumb off of the safety. As far as the pistol is concerned, it points very naturally for me, and shoots very nicely. I don't think it's quite as accurate as my Kimbers were, but the pistol's overall simplicity of design is a good trade. Bench rest groups are typically 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" at 25 yards, when the Kimbers were under 1" under the same conditions. Still, my confidence in the pistol's performance makes it a first-rate ccw pistol. Carrying cocked-and-locked did take some getting used to at first, but the redundant safeties built into the 1911's and the Sig SAO also are confidence building, and confidence in whatever you carry is of utmost importance, IMHO. Someone else on this thread said to try it out, and go with what works best for you, and I totally agree. Hope this helps, and good luck!
    "When the white man discovered this country, Indians were running it. No taxes, no debt, women did all the work. White man thought he could improve on a system like this."
    Old Cherokee Saying

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by warpigM-4 View Post
    very nice weapon!!!thanks for posting a Picture.I can see what some of you are saying about the thumb riding the safety and causing failure to lock back.
    what is the fix that you speak of??
    The thumb should always ride the safety on a SOA period. Maybe shaving the slide release down so your thumb doesn't hit it would be a great start followed by lots training to overhand manipulate the slide on reloads.

I see this shit about concern in carrying a SOA safely all the time..it ****ing blows my mind.
    Last edited by Pesty0311; 07-05-09 at 01:00.

Feedback Score
    As a follow up to the thumb over safety / slide lock issue...
    P220 SAO parts are VERY hard to come by. The usual places (e.g. Brownells, Top Gun) do not have them. And without a replacement part in hand, I do not want to experiment. However, a regular slide lock, which has tab extended toward the rear, vs. the SAO with tab extended toward the front, is readily available and a $12 part. I will probably get one and grind the tab off as an experiment. I slingshot the slide on reloads anyway because the tab is small and hard to disengage.
    As to thumb over safety always... I agree with that position on 1911's but maybe not here. My P220 SAO safety is very stiff and is very positive; it gives a definite tactile feedback, as well as a noticeable "click" sound (first twitch was it was TOO hard and TOO loud). To engage or disengage this safety takes a deliberate effort and you know when it is done. The safety itself is smaller than even a standard 1911, much less an extended. So the chances of disengaging by accident is not zero, but on the order of a Browning Hi Power. In fact the Browning Hi Power safety (if stiff) is a good analog. Someone without the habit/muscle memory of thumb over safety, would probably never have an issue.
    This whole nitpicking issue is more software (read: me) than hardware.
    Stay safe.
    Last edited by LDM; 07-05-09 at 07:34.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234